Dr Jacinthe Flore is a Vice-Chancellor's Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Social and Global Studies Centre at RMIT University.
Jacinthe's research focuses on the intersections of technology, health and society. Her research is interdisciplinary and situated in two interrelated areas: (1) the genealogy of psychiatric diagnoses, sexuality and medical techniques, and (2) pharmaceuticals, mental health and digital technology.
Before commencing as a Vice-Chancellor's Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Jacinthe was a researcher on two projects: 'Mental Health and Supported Decision-Making', an Australian Research Council (ARC) Linkage Project, and 'Early Menopause: Experiences and Perspectives of Women and Health Professionals', a National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Partnership Project. On the latter project, she was a co-author of an innovative Healthtalk Australia digital resource.
Jacinthe's current work interrogates the nexus of digital technology, design and mental health, particularly artificial intelligence, wearable devices, wellbeing apps and fourth generation pharmaceuticals. She is the author of several articles published in international journals and her first monograph, A Genealogy of Appetite in the Sexual Sciences, will be published by Palgrave Macmillan in 2020. For further information about her publications, view her ORCID (http://orcid.org/0000-0002-3136-9236) page.
- PhD (Arts) – La Trobe University
- M Cultural Studies – The University of Sydney
- BArts(Hons) – The University of Mauritius
- Flore, J. (2019). Intimate tablets: digital advocacy and post-feminist pharmaceuticals In: Feminist Media Studies, 19, 3 - 18
- Flore, J.,Kokanovic, R.,Callard, F.,Broom, A.,Duff, C. (2019). Unravelling subjectivity, embodied experience and (taking) psychotropic medication In: Social Science and Medicine, 230, 66 - 73
- Brophy, L.,Kokanovic, R.,Flore, J.,McSherry, B.,Herrman, H. (2019). Community Treatment Orders and Supported Decision-Making In: Frontiers in Psychiatry, 10, 1 - 12
- Kokanovic, R.,Brophy, L.,McSherry, B.,Flore, J.,Moeller-Saxone, K.,Herrman, H. (2018). Supported decision-making from the perspectives of mental health service users, family members supporting them and mental health practitioners In: Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 52, 826 - 833
- Flore, J. (2017). Pharmaceutical intimacy: Managing female sexuality through Addyi In: Sexualities, 21, 569 - 586
- Kokanovic, R.,Flore, J. (2017). Subjectivity and illness narratives In: Subjectivity, 10, 329 - 339
- Flore, J. (2016). The problem of sexual imbalance and techniques of the self in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders In: History of Psychiatry, 27, 320 - 335
- Flore, J. (2014). Mismeasures of asexual desires In: Asexualities, Routledge, Abingdon, United Kingdom
- Flore, J. (2013). HSDD and asexuality: A question of instruments In: Psychology and Sexuality, 4, 152 - 166