Dr Fox is a Senior Lecturer in the
Dr Kate is a biomedical engineer with significant experience and expertise in hydroxyapatite coatings and implant design for orthopaedic applications. She has experience in hybrid material design, surface science characterisation techniques and implants. Prior to joining RMIT, she was part of the Bionic Eye Project working to develop a high acuity diamond electrode capable of electrically stimulating retinal tissue.
Kate is experienced in working in highly complex, transdisciplinary projects, coordinating research teams and providing the surgical integration necessary to transition an engineered product into a surgically feasible product. She has successfully attained over A$125k direct and in kind funding.
She is a reformed patent attorney and can advise on the patentability of research and teach design/patent law.
- Implant design
- Hard tissue engineering
- Additive Manufacturing
- Surface science, particularly XPS
Competitive research grants
- 2013-14 UoM Interdisciplinary Seeding Grant (Co-Investigator) “Transdermally implanted solar cells”
- 2013 UoM OREI Ethics and Integrity Development Grant (Chief Investigator) “Ethical considerations for bionic eyes”
- 2012-13 UoM Interdisciplinary Seeding Grant (Chief Investigator) “Cybernetic diamond for targeted neuronal growth”
- 2011 UoM Research Collaboration Grant (Chief Investigator) “Polarisation of hydroxyapatite-coated diamond for improved integration of orthopaedic implants with bone” with Advanced Surgical Design and Manufacture
Dr Kate Fox has published over 45 publications in the field of biomaterials and medical devices, including over 15 peer reviewed journal papers. Find a full list of publications at Dr Fox's Google Scholar listing.
- Kate Fox (2014) “Chapter 12: Neural circuits and In vivo monitoring of processes at the molecular scale” in Quantum Information Processing with Diamond, (Eds S. Prawer and I. Aharonovich) Woodhead Publishing, ISBN 9780857096562
Peer reviewed papers
- W Tong, Kate Fox (corresponding author), K Ganesan, A Turnley, O Shimoni, P Tran, A Lohrmann, T McFarlane, A Ahnood, D Garrett, H Meffin, N O’Brien-Simpson, E Reynolds and S Prawer "Fabrication of planarised conductively patterned diamond for bio-applications" (2014) Materials Science and Engineering C Volume 43, 1 October 2014, Pages 135–144 JIF=2.7
- O Shimoni, J Cervenka, T Karle, Kate Fox, B Gibson, S Tomljenovic-Hanic, A Greentree and S Prawer (2014) “Development of a Templated Approach to Fabricate Diamond Patterns on Various Substrates" ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 6 (11), pp 8894–8902 JIF=5.9
- M Aramesh, Kate Fox, DWM Lau, J Fang, K Ostrikov, S Prawer and J Cervenka (2014) “Multifunctional Three-Dimensional Nanodiamond-Nanoporous Alumina Nanoarchitectures” Carbon Vol. 75 pp 452–464. JIF=6.2
- K Ganesan, DJ Garrett, A Ahnood, M Shivdasani, W Tong, A Turnley, Kate Fox, H Meffin and S Prawer (2014) “An all-diamond, hermetic electrical feedthrough array for a retinal prosthesis” Biomaterials Vol. 35 (3) 908-915. JIF 8.3
- Kate Fox, Joseph Palamara, Roy Judge and Andrew D Greentree (2013) "Diamond as a scaffold for bone growth" Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine vol. 24, No. 4, pp 849-861. JIF=2.3
- D. J. Garrett, K. Ganesan, A. Stacey, Kate Fox, H. Meffin and S. Prawer (2012) ‘Ultra-nanocrystalline diamond electrodes: Optimisation for neural Stimulation’ J. Neural Eng, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 10. JIF=3.4
- A. Hadjinicolaou, R. T. Leung, D. J. Garrett, K. Ganesan, Kate Fox, D. A. X. Nayagam, M. N. Shivdasani, H. Meffin, M. Ibbotson, S. Prawer, B. J. O’Brien (2012) “Electrical stimulation of retinal ganglion cells with diamond: Building blocks for an all diamond retinal prosthesis” Biomaterials vol. 33 pp 5812-5820. JIF=8.3
- Kate Fox, P Tran and, N Tran “Recent advances in research applications of nanophase hydroxyapatite” (2012) J. Chem. Phys. Chem., vol. 13, no. 10, pp 2495-2506. JIF=3.3
- Kate McLeod, S Kumar, N, K, Dutta, R. St. C. Smart, N. H. Voelcker and G. Anderson. (2010) ‘X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy study of the growth kinetics of biomimetically grown hydroxyapatite thin-film coatings’, Applied Surface Science, vol. 256, no. 23, pp. 7178-7185. JIF=2.5
- Kate McLeod, G. I. Anderson, N. Dutta, R. St. C. Smart, N. H. Voelcker, R. Sekel and S. Kumar. (2006) ‘Adsorption of a bisphosphonate onto hydroxyapatite using a novel co-precipitation technique for bone growth enhancement’, Journal Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 79A, no. 2, pp. 271-281. JIF=2.8
- Kate McLeod, S. Kumar, R. St. C. Smart, N. Dutta, N. H. Voelcker, G. I. Anderson and R. Sekel, (2006) ‘XPS and bioactivity study of the bisphosphonate pamidronate adsorbed onto plasma sprayed hydroxyapatite coatings’, Applied Surface Science, vol. 253, pp. 2644-2651. JIF=2.5
Peer reviewed conference papers
- Kate Fox (2013) “Ethical considerations for engineers working in cybernetic implants” IEEE International Conference on Cybernetics, Lausanne, Switzerland pp. 273-277.
- Kate. E. McLeod, S. Kumar, G. I. Anderson, N. Dutta, R. St. C. Smart, N. H. Voelcker and R. Sekel. (2005) Co-deposition of a bisphosphonate with hydroxyapatite for improved implant fixation IFMBE Proceedings, XII International Conference on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 12, Singapore.
- BEng. Biomed./BSc. (Flinders University)
- MIP (University of Technology Sydney)
- PhD (Minerals and Materials) University of South Australia
- Thesis entitled Bisphosphonate-loaded hydroxyapatite-coated implant surfaces : physico-chemical characterisation and bone cell culture studies
- 2014- Now Senior Lecturer Mechanical Engineering – RMIT University
- 2010-2014 Post-doctoral Research Fellow (Bionic Eye) – University of Melbourne
- 2013-2014 Consultant Analyst – University of Melbourne Commercial
- 2007-2010 Trainee Patent and Trade Marks Attorney – Madderns Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys, South Australia
- 2007 Post-doctoral researcher - Ian Wark Research Institute, University of South Australia
- 2004-Now Member Australasian Society for Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering (ASBTE)
- 2014 International liaison Chair for the area of Australia, IEEE Biomedical Circuits and Systems Conference, Lausanne.
- 2013-2015 Australasian Society for Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering STA liaison officer.
- Session Chair Australasian Society for Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Annual Conference, 2014
- 2012 ASBTE Early Career Researcher Travel Grant
- 2007 ASBTE Early Career Researcher Travel Grant
- 2002 Winner of the RS Honours Component Prize for Best Honours Project (design of a hemispherical antenna)
- Enewspaper article on Kate Fox "First round of ethics and integrity development grants celebrated" MUSSE, vol 145, October 2014
- Newspaper article on Kate Fox “Doctor’s gift of vision” Moreland Leader 8 July 2013
- Enewspaper article on Kate Fox “University scientists meet Parliament”, MUSSE, vol. 97, October 2012
- Radio interview with Kate Fox: 2012 Einstein-a-go-go radio show, Radio RRR, Victoria, 30 September.
- Careers article on Kate Fox: 2011 “Building a bionic eye” Physics World vol. 24, no. 12, pp 41-42.
- Radio interview with Kate Fox: 2007 “Biomaterials for orthopaedics” David Waterman show, Radio 5AA, South Australia, 29 April
- Media release re Kate McLeod: Defence Science and Technology Organisation, Media Release Number: DSTO 29/02 “New antenna design improves ADF ability to utilise GPS navigation” 19 December, 2002.
- Patent Application PCT/AU2012/000609: “An electrode and a feedthrough for medical device applications” Filing Date 31/5/2012 (claiming priority from Australian Patent Application Nos. 2011902196 and 2011904827 and United States Patent Application No. 61/561533)
- Patent Application PCT/AU2013/000871 entitled “An intraocular device” (claiming priority from Australian Patent Application No. 2012903385 and United States Patent Application No. 61/680467, both dated 7 August 2012).
- Patent Application PCT/AU2013/00 1304 entitled “A method of positioning an implantable medical device” (claiming priority from Australian Provisional Application No. 2012905040 and United States Provisional Application No. 61/727187, both dated 16 November 2012).
Invited talks, colloquiums, oral conference presentations
>24 local and international
- Tran, P.,Fox, K.,Tran, N. (2017). Novel hierarchical tantalum oxide-PDMS hybrid coating for medical implants: one pot synthesis, characterization and modulation of fibroblast proliferation In: Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 485, 106 - 115
- Ahnood, A.,Meffin, H.,Garrett, D.,Fox, K.,Ganesan, K.,Stacey, A.,Apollo, N.,Wong, Y.,Lichter, S.,Kentler, W.,Kavehei, O.,Greferath, U.,Vessey, K.,Ibbotson, M.,Fletcher, E.,Burkitt, A.,Prawer, S. (2017). Diamond devices for high acuity prosthetic vision In: Advanced Biosystems, , 1 - 10
- Fox, K.,Meffin, H.,Burns, O.,Abbott, C.,Allen, P.,Opie, N.,McGowan, C.,Yeoh, J.,Ahnood, A.,Luu, C.,Cicione, R.,Saunders, A.,Mcphedran, M.,Cardamone, L.,Villalobos, J.,Garrett, D.,Nayagam, D.,Apollo, N.,Ganesan, K.,Shivdasani, M.,Stacey, A.,Escudie, M.,Lichter, S.,Shepherd, R.,Prawer, S. (2016). Development of a magnetic attachment method for bionic eye applications In: Artificial Organs, 40, 12 - 24
- Ahnood, A.,Fox, K.,Apollo, N.,Lohrmann, A.,Garrett, D.,Nayagam, D.,Karle, T.,Stacey, A.,Abberton, K.,Morrison, W.,Blakers, A.,Prawer, S. (2016). Diamond encapsulated photovoltaics for transdermal power delivery In: Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 77, 589 - 597
- Tong, W.,Tran, P.,Turnley, A.,Aramesh, M.,Prawer, S.,Brandt, M.,Fox, K. (2016). The influence of sterilization on nitrogen-included ultrananocrystalline diamond for biomedical applications In: Materials Science and Engineering C, 61, 324 - 332
- Oxley, T.,Opie, N.,John, S.,Rind, G.,Ronayne, S.,Wheeler, T.,Judy, J.,McDonald, A.,Dornom, A.,Lovell, T.,Steward, C.,Garrett, D.,Moffat, B.,Lui, E.,Yassi, N.,Campbell, B.,Wong, Y.,Fox, K.,Nurse, E.,Bennett, I.,Bauquier, S.,Liyanage, K.,van der Nagel, N.,Perucca, P.,Ahnood, A.,Gill, K.,Yan, B.,Churilov, L.,French, C.,Desmond, P.,Horne, M.,Kiers, L.,Prawer, S.,Davis, S.,Burkitt, A.,Mitchell, P.,Graden, D.,May, C.,O'Brien, T. (2016). Minimally invasive endovascular stent-electrode array for high-fidelity, chronic recordings of cortical neural activity In: Nature Biotechnology, 34, 320 - 327
- Apollo, N.,Lau, D.,Ahnood, A.,Stacey, A.,Ganesan, K.,Lichter, S.,Fox, K.,Foroughi, J.,Meffin, H.,Wallace, G.,Baughman, R.,Prawer, S.,Garrett, D. (2016). Brazing techniques for the fabrication of biocompatible carbon-based electronic devices In: Carbon, 107, 180 - 189
- Tong, W.,Fox, K.,Zamani, A.,Turnley, A.,Ganesan, K.,Ahnood, A.,Cicione, R.,Meffin, H.,Prawer, S.,Stacey, A.,Garrett, D. (2016). Optimizing growth and post treatment of diamond for high capacitance neural interfaces In: Biomaterials, 104, 32 - 42
- Fox, K.,Tran, P.,Lau, D.,Ohshima, T.,Greentree, A.,Gibson, B. (2016). Nanodiamond-polycaprolactone composite: A new material for tissue engineering with sub-dermal imaging capabilities In: Materials Letters, 185, 185 - 188
- Lee, M.,Fox, K.,Goldwasser, S.,Lau, D.,Aliahmad, B.,Sarossy, M. (2016). Green lasers are beyond power limits mandated by safety standards In: Proceedings of the 2016 IEEE 38th Annual International Conference of the Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Orlando, United States, 16-20 August 2016
7 PhD Current Supervisions
- High Resolution Atomic Force Microscopy Facility for Bionanotechnology (Administered by Monash University). Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) Grant 2017 from (2017 to 2017)
- 3D-printed diamond implants: Investigations into a new hybrid material. Funded by: The CASS Foundation Science and Medicine Grants 2016 from (2017 to 2017)
- Reducing Material Costs in Bottle Closures. Funded by: Innovation Connections Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2017)