Gerda has over 15 years of experience in the development and provision of bachelor and master courses in the field of strategy and innovation management. Her focus has been on management within the creative industries. She has taught on this topic at both business schools and design schools (master level). Her current teaching at RMIT is focused on strategic management of design (master level).
Dr Gemser is a recognized researcher within the field of design and innovation management in the creative industries. She has been a visiting scholar at leading research universities, including The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania (US) and Saunder School of Business, The University of British Columbia (Canada). In the last 15 years, she has held (assistant and associate) professorships at different Dutch universities including Erasmus University and Delft University of Design. Currently she is one five international Professors of Design appointed by RMIT to further strengthen the University's leadership and expansion of design research. Her professorship is focused on the interface between business and design. For 50% she is appointed by RMIT’s College of Business (School of Finance, Economics & Marketing), for 50% by RMIT’s Design Research Institute.
Her research interests can be clustered into two major themes. The first theme is management of design. In the context of this theme Gerda investigates, from a business perspective, how companies can create value by investing in design and what strategies are best suited to optimizing the payback from design investments. The second theme is value creation and value appropriation in the creative industries. In the context of this theme, Gerda examines why specific creative firms or creative products are more successful than others. In her research, Gerda employs qualitative and quantitative research methods, depending on what is most appropriate.
Gerda has published in leading management and design journals such as Organization Science, Organization Studies, Journal of Management, Long Range Planning, Journal of Product Innovation Management, and Design Studies. Her work has been presented at over 60 leading management and design conferences.
Research projects and funding
Much of Gerda’s research on design management has been funded by, and/or performed in cooperation with European governments and design associations. An example is a Dutch research program on designing product-service systems (CRISP), a program of in total 20.3 million Euros, which she helped to initiative and develop.
Her research on design effectiveness has helped the design sector to gain acknowledgement as an important force for national economic growth. Gerda’s recognition in the field is confirmed through invited presentations and memberships on advisory/review committees for design (effectiveness) conferences.
- PhD in Management, Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 1996
- M.Sc., European Studies (Economics), University of Amsterdam, 1991
- Deken, F.,Berends, H.,Gemser, G.,Lauche, K. (2018). Strategizing and the initiation of interorganizational collaboration through prospective resourcing In: Academy of Management Journal, 61, 1920 - 1950
- Creusen, M.,Gemser, G.,Candi, M. (2018). The influence of experiential augmentation on product evaluation In: European Journal of Marketing, 52, 925 - 945
- Calabretta, G.,Gemser, G.,Wijnberg, N. (2017). The interplay between Intuition and rationality in strategic decision making: A paradox perspective In: Organization Studies, 38, 365 - 401
- Karpen, I.,Gemser, G.,Calabretta, G. (2017). A multilevel consideration of service design conditions: towards a portfolio of organisational capabilities, interactive practices and individual abilities In: Journal of Service Theory and Practice, 27, 384 - 407
- Beverland, M.,Gemser, G.,Karpen, I. (2017). Design, consumption and marketing: outcomes, process, philosophy and future directions In: Journal of Marketing Management, 33, 159 - 172
- Kuijken, B.,Gemser, G.,Wijnberg, N. (2017). Categorization and willingness to pay for new products: the role of category cues as value anchors In: Journal of Product Innovation Management, 34, 757 - 771
- Calabretta, G.,Gemser, G. (2017). Building blocks for effective strategic design In: Journal of Design, Business and Society, 3, 109 - 124
- Tabeau, K.,Gemser, G.,Oberdorf, J. (2016). Creating process understanding: design practices and abilities In: Strategic design: Eight essential practices every strategic designer must master, BIS, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Gemser, G.,Kuys, B.,Yom-Tov, O. (2016). Designing for feasibility In: Strategic design: eight essential practices every strategic designer must master, BIS, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Kuijken, B.,Leenders, M.,Wijnberg, N.,Gemser, G. (2016). The producer-consumer classification gap and its effects on music festival success In: European Journal of Marketing, 50, 1726 - 1745
3 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions