Dr Gibson is the Higher Degrees by Research Coordinator for the Graduate School of Business and Law.Paul’s approach to teaching and research supervision is informed by his twenty years of experience as an executive coach for senior managers in a wide range of corporations and government departments, including the Chadstone shopping centre, Jemena energy, BlueCross Aged Care, NorthWest Rural Health, and the Greater City of Geelong
- Senior Lecturer, Graduate School of Business and Law
- Coordinator of Leadership and Management in the MBA.
- Coordinator of Leading People and Organizations in the MBA Executive.
- First supervisor of 5 successful PhD theses
- First supervisor of twelve successful DBA theses
- Currently first supervisor for four full time and one part time PhD candidates
- Examiner of twelve DBA theses
Awards and Prizes
- 2013 College of Business Learning and Teaching Award for Teaching Excellence
- 2012 RMIT University Teaching and Research Award for programs that enhance learning in postgraduate education
- 2012 College of Business Learning and Teaching Award for postgraduate education
- 2012 Business College Research Excellence Award for Best HDR Supervisor
- 2012 College of Business Learning and Teaching Award for Teaching Excellence
- 2012 Graduate School of Business and Law Teaching Award
- 2011 College of Business and Graduate School of Business and Law Certificate of Achievement for teaching excellence
- Winner of the outstanding student award in 2001, Australian Graduate School of Entrepreneurship, Doctoral Completion (PhD)
- PhD on Career and Identity (Swinburne) 2001.
- Master of Business (research) in Organisational Behaviour (Swinburne) 1994. Topic:Organisational Culture and Management Education.
- Graduate Diploma in Education (Bendigo) 1980.
- BA (Hons) Monash University, 1979.
- MBTI Accredited (APP)
- July 2007, Keynote address to the Australian RailTrack Corporation on managing change
- August 2008, presentation to the Learning and Development Network of the Department of Human Services, on leadership narratives at work
- June 2009, presentation on Resilient Leadership to The Executive Connection at the Epworth Hospital, Box Hill
- June 2009, 2010, 2011 keynote speaker for RMIT’s Managing People and Performance Seminar at the Rydges Hotel, Carlton, on the Neuroscience of Performance
- September 2010 presentation on the neuroscience of performance to senior members of the Melbourne Metropolitan Fire Brigade
- July 2009, 2010, 2011 presentation on the neuroscience of performance to critical incident managers for the Department of Human Services
- July 2012 presentation to the Organizational Development staff of the Greater City of Geelong on the neuroscience of leadership
- May 2011, 2012, and 2013 presentation to visiting managers at VECCI on effective leadership
- June 2013 presentation to senior fire-fighters at the CFA Fiskville Training College on how to use your brain more effectively
Paul has been providing executive coaching and consulting to industry for the past twenty years across a range of organizations such as BlueCross Aged and Residential Care, Rural Northwest Health, the Greater City of Geelong, and Colonial First State Global Asset Management.
- Afshari, L.,Gibson, P. (2016). How to increase organizational commitment through transactional leadership In: Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 37, 507 - 519
- Bellingham, J.,Gibson, P. (2016). The influence of Gulf States' culture upon workplace behaviour and motivation: A research program In: International Journal of Business and Globalisation, 16, 171 - 187
- Afshari, L.,Gibson, P. (2015). Development of organizational commitment and value internalization In: World Journal of Management, 6, 187 - 198
- Afshari, L.,Gibson, P. (2015). Why culture matters to leadership, motivation, and willing organizational commitment? In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Management Leadership and Governance (ICMLG 2015), Auckland, New Zealand, 12-13 February 2015
- Lai, A.,Gibson, P.,Muthaly, S. (2014). Becoming an education provider of choice in Hong Kong: an inquiry into student decision making In: International Journal of Educational Management, 28, 590 - 609
- Gibson, P.,Seibold, S. (2014). Understanding and influencing eco-luxury consumers In: International Journal of Social Economics, 41, 780 - 800
- Deng, L.,Gibson, P. (2009). Mapping and modeling the capacities that underlie effective cross-cultural leadership: An interpretive study with practical outcomes In: Cross-cultural Management: an International Journal, 16, 347 - 366
- Gibson, P. (2008). Developing practical management wisdom In: Journal of Management Development, 27, 528 - 536
- Deng, L.,Gibson, P. (2008). A qualitative evaluation on the role of cultural intelligence in cross-cultural leadership In: International Journal of Leadership Studies, 3, 181 - 197
- Deng, L.,Gibson, P.,Zhao, F.,Truong, T. (2005). Expatriate leader's EQ and CQ - Key factors in the effectiveness of cross cultural management in China In: 5th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Business-Conference Proceedings, 2002, , 16-18 January, 2006
5 Prof Doc Completions and 5 PhD Completions9 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions