David has been RMIT's MBA Director since March 2016. He teaches Business Consulting and Corporate Governance & Regulation.
David is also a practising Barrister, specialising in commercial law, international business, mediation and arbitration.
He joined RMIT after a successful international business career in which he was Head of Corporate Affairs for three large listed corporations (based in Melbourne, Sydney and Singapore). David has also run transport businesses, as well as working in government relations and as a corporate lawyer.
Prior to his current role David was Program Director for RMIT's Juris Doctor program, teaching a range of postgraduate law courses including Law of Torts, Evidence and Legal Practice Management & Professional Conduct.
David holds a PhD in Law from RMIT, a Graduate Certificate in International Arbitration from the National University of Singapore, a Master of Business (Logistics Management) from RMIT, a Graduate Diploma in Commercial Law from Monash University and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Queensland. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators.
In 2017 David coached the team of RMIT Executive MBA students which took out first place in the prestigious International Graduate Competition hosted by the Canadian university HEC Montreal, competing against top international business schools.
MBA Director, Graduate School of Business and Law, College of Business
- Business Consulting
- Corporate Governance & Regulation
- David has research interests across the fields of alternative dispute resolution, economic torts and maritime law
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Queensland
- Graduate Diploma in Commercial Law, Monash University
- Master of Business (Logistics Management), RMIT University
- Graduate Certificate in International Arbitration, National University of Singapore
- PhD in Law, RMIT University
- Barrister, Victorian Bar, since 2010
- Vice President Corporate Affairs, Neptune Orient Lines Ltd, Singapore (2005-10)
- Executive Vice President Corporate Affairs, BlueScope Steel Ltd, Melbourne (2000-05)
- General Manager External Affairs and Investor Relations, OneSteel Ltd, Sydney (1999-2000)
- Goodwin, D. (2016). Lawyers, gunns and money: An Australian perspective on environmental campaigns and the economic torts In: Torts Law Journal, 23, 230 - 256
- Douglas, K.,Goodwin, D. (2015). Artistry in mediator practice: Reflections from mediators In: Australasian Dispute Resolution Journal, 26, 137 - 145
- Goodwin, D. (2015). Exempting environmental protection boycotts from competition laws: Should purpose or public benefit be the test? In: Australian Journal of Competition and Consumer Law, 23, 260 - 282