Emily hails from Walsall, UK and is a lecturer in Education Studies at RMIT’s School of Education.
Her interests within both research and teaching are interdisciplinary and include sociology, cultural studies and education. She is particularly interested in questions of gender and sexuality and with how understandings these identity categories are lived by individuals and experienced within social institutions. Her key research interests therefore lie with questions related to gender, social justice, student and teacher identity work within educational policy and practice and with wider social justice issues within educational discourse and practice. She is also concerned with popular culture, public pedagogies and audience studies, particularly with online ’fandom’ and with media and popular culture as pedagogical tools.
- Course coordinator Imagining Social Futures, Grad. Dip. (Secondary)
- Course coordinator Education Theory and Practice, B.Ed (Primary)
- Course coordinator Understanding Diversity and Difference, B.Ed (Primary)
- PhD Educational Research, 2010, Lancaster University, UK.
- MA Social Research Methods (Cultural Studies & Sociology), 2005, University of Birmingham, UK.
- BA (Hons.) Sociology, 2002, University of Birmingham, UK.
- Gray, E.,Reimers, E.,Bengtsson, J. (2021). The boy in a dress: A spectre for our times In: Sexualities, 24, 176 - 190
- Gilbert, J.,Gray, E. (2020). LGBTIQ+ teachers: stories from the field In: Teaching Education, 31, 1 - 5
- Knight, L.,Gray, E.,Blaise, M. (2020). Powerful Dressing: Artfully Challenging Sexism in the Academy In: Transdisciplinary Feminist Research: Innovations in Theory, Method and Practice, Routledge, United Kingdom
- Gray, E.,Nicholas, L. (2019). 'You're actually the problem': manifestations of populist masculinist anxieties in Australian higher education In: British Journal of Sociology of Education, 40, 269 - 286
- Blaise, M.,Knight, L.,Gray, E. (2019). Punk Feminism and #FEAS: A Low-Brow Protest of Academic Sexism In: Strategies for Resisting Sexism in the Academy, Palgrave Macmillan, Cham, Switzerland
- Gilbert, A.,Gray, E. (2019). Wonder in the Science Classroom In: STEM of Desire: Queer Theories and Science Education, Brill/Sense, Netherlands
- Sinclair, M.,Gray, E. (2019). Australian Educational Policy, School Funding, and Equity: A Neoliberal Governmentality Study In: Social Justice in Times of Crisis and Hope, Peter Lang Publishing, Inc., New York, United States
- Gray, E. (2019). Re-doing Teacher Education: Joyful Differences? Australian Queer Teacher Educators and Social Justice Education In: Uplifting Gender and Sexuality Education Research, Palgrave Macmillan, Cham, Switzerland
- Gray, E.,Pluim, C.,Pike, J.,Leahy, D. (2018). 'Someone has to keep shouting': celebrities as food pedagogues In: Celebrity Studies, 9, 69 - 83
- Gray, E.,Knight, L.,Blaise, M. (2018). Wearing, speaking and shouting about sexism: Developing arts-based interventions into sexism in the academy In: Australian Educational Researcher, 45, 585 - 601
3 PhD Completions8 PhD Current Supervisions
- Understanding and Addressing Everyday Sexisms in Australian Universities (administered by Edith Cowen University). Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2021 from (2021 to 2024)
- Developing arts-based interventions into everyday sexism in the academy. Funded by: Australian Association for Research in Education Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2016)