Dr Ronda Greaves is the Senior Lecturer in Clinical Biochemistry at RMIT University, Bundoora West Campus. She is the Head of the Clinical Biochemistry Mass Spectrometry Laboratory and is also an Honorary Research Fellow at the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute (MCRI).
Dr Greaves’ main interests focus on specialised paediatric clinical biochemistry, which encompasses endocrinology, gastroenterology and respiratory medicine. She is involved in projects which have an emphasis on harmonisation and standardisation of mass spectrometry measurement procedures. Specific paediatric analytical interests include serum and urine steroids for the investigation of disorders of sex development, environmental and genetic influences of vitamins, and sweat chloride as a function test to diagnose cystic fibrosis. These interests are enhanced through collaborative projects with the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute in Melbourne, and the National Hospital of Pediatrics in Hanoi Vietnam.
- To support the harmonisation of laboratory results for patient care
- To develop robust mass spectrometry based analytical methods to support the conduct of translational research activities within a quality framework.
- To develop reference intervals or decision limits and guidelines to support the interpretation of quantitative mass spectrometry methods for steroids and vitamins.
- To investigate the pathophysiology of biochemical diseases relevant to paediatric endocrinology and metabolism.
- To deliver up-to-date effective curriculum in the area of Clinical Biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine to provide world class RMIT graduates to industry; and thereby also enhancing employment opportunities for our graduates.
- To foster a culture of on-going professional development for RMIT Clinical Biochemistry students and laboratory professionals.
- To support and mentor, through education and training initiatives, clinical biochemistry professionals in developing economies.
- 2015, RMIT University Global Learning by Design Project Award - “Developing interactive biochemical pathways for integrated learning: Application of the steroid pathway to support clinical reasoning”.
- 2014, Australasian Association of Clinical Biochemists travel scholarship to attend 52nd Annual Scientific Meeting in Adelaide; October.
- 2013, RMIT University Recognition Award “In recognition of the Implementation of the Agilent LC-MS into Biochemistry teaching and research“. Awarded by the Discipline of Laboratory Medicine for outstanding achievement in 2012.
- 2011, School of Medical Sciences, High GTS Teaching Award, MEDS2140/2142 (A.Beatty, J.A. Danks , R.Greaves, R.Green, D. Jackson, F.Maxey and C O’Malley).
- 2011, XIIth International Congress of Paediatric Laboratory Medicine Poster Award for the best poster abstract selected for Oral Presentation, Berlin Germany.
- 2010, Honorary Research Fellow, Centre for Hormone Research, Murdoch Children’s Research Institute (MCRI)
- 2006, Roche Diagnostics Australia Award, Best Oral Presentation Prize for the 2006 AACB Annual Scientific Conference Hobart, Australia.
- 2001, The Pied Pipers’ Scholarship, Royal Children’s Hospital Victoria.
- 2001, Jeff Crouch Memorial Scholarship, Royal Children’s Hospital Victoria.
- Course Coordinator: Clinical Biochemistry 2 (BIOL2139)
- Course Coordinator: Advanced Clinical Biochemistry (ONPS2342)
- Coordinator: Laboratory Medicine Project – Clinical Biochemistry (MEDS2151 & MEDS2152)
- Course Coordinator: Point of Care Patient Testing (ONPS2425 & ONPS2426)
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology II (BIOL1181 & ONPS2340)
- Conduct annual Chemical Pathology course in Conjunction with Roche Diagnostics Vietnam since 2009. APFCB: Scientific activities.
- Education, training and research support with the Biochemistry Department at the National Hospital of Pediatrics (NHP) Hanoi Vietnam. Commenced in 2008 in association with the Royal Children’s Hospital International and now continues through direct collaboration with NHP.
Academic management and administration
- Member of RMIT University Student Appeals Committee
- International Selection Officer: Laboratory Medicine Undergraduate Program (BP147)
- Local Selection Officer for BP147 Program
- Laboratory Medicine Representative for the MIT School of Health and Biomedical Sciences Honours Program Committee.
- Member Laboratory Medicine Discipline Team
- Member BP147 Program Team
- Deputy Unit Leader for teaching of Biochemistry in the Discipline of Laboratory Medicine.
RMIT: Agilent Clinical Biochemistry Mass Spectrometry Laboratory. Team Members include:
- Dr Ronda Greaves, Leader
- Mrs Rosita Zakaria, PhD candidate
- Mr Nevada Tavita, PhD candidate
- Mr Jake Collie, PhD candidate
- Dr Victor Rotarou, Honorary post doctoral researcher
View Dr Greaves’ research profile
- BSc, La Trobe University, 1987
- Grad Dip Ed, University of Melbourne, 1989
- MAACB, Australasian Association of Clinical Biochemists, 1991
- MAppSc, RMIT University, 1998
- PhD, RMIT University, 2009
- FFSc, Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia 2011
Professional association memberships
- Fellow, Faculty of Science Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia (RCPA)
- Member of the Australasian Association of Clinical Biochemists (AACB)
- Member of the Australian Paediatric Endocrine Group (APEG)
- Member of the European Society of Pediatric Endocrinology (ESPE)
Board / Council membership
- Member of Council: Australasian Association of Clinical Biochemists 2013 - 2016
- Member: RCPA Quality Assurance Programs (QAP) Chemical Pathology Advisory Committee
- Editorial Board Member - Clinical Biochemistry (Elsevier journal)
- Editorial Board Member - Clinical Mass Spectrometry (Elsevier journal)
Assessor / Review activities
- JCTLM Non-Peptide Hormones review committee - member
- National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) - Technical Assessor to ISO15189
- European Society of Pediatric Endocrinology Conference 2016 – abstract reviewer
- NHMRC - Project Grant Reviewer
- Journal Peer Reviewer, 20+ reviews per year, for: Allergy; Annals of Clinical Biochemistry; Clinical Biochemistry; Clinical Biochemistry Reviews; Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine; Clinica Chimica Acta; Clinical Endocrinology; Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology; Journal of Pediactric Endocrinology and Metabolism; Pathology; and Pediatrics.
Industry engagement and external leadership
- Chair: AACB Chromatography Mass Spectrometry Satellite Meeting 2016
- Coordinator: AACB Chromatography Mass Spectrometry Special Interest Group
- Scientific Program Chair: 51st AACB Annual Scientific Conference Scientific Organising Committee and Harmonisation Satellite Meeting 2012
- Technical Advisor: Royal Children’s Hospital International 2007 – 2011
- Advisor: CLSI Sweat test subcommittee 2008 – 2009
- Member: RMIT University Division of Laboratory Medicine, School of Medical Science Curriculum Advisory Committee 2005 – 2010
- Chair / Member: AACB-RCPAQAP Working Parties. Chair Vitamins WP 2003 – 2015; Current member of Vitamins, Endocrine and Sweat Testing WP
- Chair: Biochemistry Program for AIMS National Workshop 1999
- Chair: AACB Victorian Branch 2000 – 2003, 2014 – ongoing. Prior committee roles include: committee member 1996 – 1997; Treasurer 1997 – 2000; Education Representative 2010 – 2014; Branch Representative to Council 2013 – 2016.
- Member - International Scientific Advisory Board for the XIVth International Congress of Pediatric Laboratory Medicine (ICPLM) Durban in 2017
- Member – Cooperation in Science and Technology (COST) action BM1303, A Systematic Elucidation of Differences of Sex Development (DSDnet) Working Group 3
- Guest Editor - International Federation of Clinical Chemistry eJournal for themed issue on Mass Spectrometry in 2016
- Full Member - International Federation of Clinical Chemistry (IFCC) Committee for Distance Learning
- Chair - Asian and Pacific Federation of Clinical Biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine (APFCB) Mass Spectrometry Harmonisation Working Group
- Greaves, R.,Jolly, L.,Hartmann, M.,Ho, C.,Kam, R.,Joseph, J.,Boyder, C.,Wudy, S. (2017). Harmonisation of serum dihydrotestosterone analysis: establishment of an external quality assurance program In: Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, 55, 522 - 529
- Kulle, A.,Krone, N.,Holterhus, P.,Schuler, G.,Greaves, R.,Juul, A.,de Rijke, Y.,Hartmann, M.,Saba, A.,Hiort, O.,Wudy, S. (2017). Steroid hormone analysis in diagnosis and treatment of DSD position paper of EU COST action BM 1303 "DSDnet" In: European Journal of Endocrinology, 176, 1 - 9
- Collie, J.,Greaves, R.,Jones, O.,Lam, Q.,Eastwood, G.,Bellomo, R. (2017). Vitamin B1 in critically ill patients: needs and challenges In: Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, 55, 1 - 17
- Collie, J.,Massie, J.,Jones, O.,Morrison, P.,Greaves, R. (2017). Sweat Travels: The issue of sweat chloride transportation In: Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, , 1 - 3
- Tavita, N.,Greaves, R. (2017). (In Press) Systematic review of serum steroid reference intervals developed using mass spectrometry In: Clinical Biochemistry, , 1 - 15
- Greaves, R.,Jolly, L.,Massie, J.,Scott, S.,Metz, M.,Wiley, V.,Mackay, R. (2017). (In Press) Laboratory performance of sweat conductivity for the screening of cystic fibrosis In: Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, , 1 - 6
- Sharp, L.,Farrance, I.,Greaves, R. (2016). The application of glucose point of care testing in three metropolitan hospitals In: Pathology, 48, 51 - 59
- Greaves, R.,Ho, C.,Hoad, K.,Joseph, J.,McWhinney, B.,Gill, J.,Koal, T.,Fouracre, C.,Iu, H.,Cooke, B.,Boyder, C.,Pham, H.,Jolly, L. (2016). Achievements and future directions of the APFCB mass spectrometry harmonisation project on serum testosterone In: The Clinical Biochemist Reviews, 37, 63 - 84
- Tran, M.,Hoang, K.,Greaves, R. (2016). Practical application of biological variation and SigmaMetrics quality models to evaluate 20 chemistry analytes on the Beckman Coulter In: Clinical Biochemistry, 49, 1259 - 1266
- Zakaria, R.,Allen, K.,Koplin, J.,Roche, P.,Greaves, R. (2016). Advantages and challenges of dried blood spot analysis by mass spectrometry across the total testing process In: Journal of the International Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, 27, 288 - 317
- Centre of Research Excellence in Paediatric Food Allergy and Food-Related Immune Disorders (Administered by Murdoch Childrens Research Institute). Funded by: National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Centres of Research Excellence Grant Pre-2014 from (2016 to 2017)
- Paediatric Food Allergy and the Role of Fat Soluble Vitamins (D and A) - PhD Scholarship. Funded by: National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Centres of Research Excellence Grant Pre-2014 from (2014 to 2017)
- Paediatric Food Allergy and the Role of Fat Soluble Vitamins (D and A) - Project. Funded by: National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Centres of Research Excellence Grant Pre-2014 from (2014 to 2017)
- Urine Steroid Metabolomic Studies by Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry to Aid the Diagnosis of Disorders of Sexual Development in Vietnamese Children. Funded by: Asia-Pacific Federation for Clinical Biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine Research Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2015)
- Development of a new biochemical test to diagnose and monitor Neuroblastoma in Vietnam. Funded by: Asia-Pacific Federation for Clinical Biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine Research Grant 2014 from (2011 to 2012)
1 PhD Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions