Associate Professor Anne M Harris is a Principal Research Fellow (Research Associate Professor) in the School of Education and the Design and Creative Practice ECP.
I have recently completed an ARC DECRA Fellowship investigating creative ecologies in secondary school and across the education lifespan.
My research focuses upon the intersection of creativity, performance and digital media at both practice and policy levels, upon youth cultures and cultural, ethnic and gender diversities; and on performance and activism. The necessity of work across these areas—particularly the role of creative practice to inform/evoke/transform social change (specifically through public pedagogy, activism, and creative education)—is evidenced by the international uptake of my work and the ubiquitous hunger for more creative approaches to education, research and community/industry partnerships.
I am the creator and editor of the Palgrave Macmillan book series Creativity, Education and the Arts, the ABER co-editor of the Journal of Curriculum and Pedagogy and on the editorial board of several journals and book series. I have co-edited the following special issues: “Critical Approaches to Arts Based Research,” co-edited with Mary Ann Hunter and Clare Hall, UNESCO Observatory Multidisciplinary Research in the Arts (2014); “Creative Pedagogies” co-edited with Stacy Holman Jones, Departures in Critical Qualitative Research (2014); and “Sexuality, Culture and Creativity: Commodification and Contemporary Publics” co-edited with Yvette Taylor, Continuum: Journal of Media & Cultural Studies (2016).
- PHD Victoria University (2010)
- Master of Fine Arts (Playwriting/Screenwriting) New York University (1995)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Dramatic Writing, English) New York University (1994).
- Harris, A. (2018). Posthuman families, queerly In: Queering Families, Schooling Publics: Keywords, Routledge, New York, United States
- Harris, A. (2017). Ethnocinema and Video-Based Research In: Handbook of Arts-Based Research, Guilford Publications, New York, United States
- Harris, A.,Jones, S. (2017). Feeling fear, feeling queer: the peril and potential of queer terror In: Qualitative Inquiry, 23, 561 - 568
- Harris, A.,Jones, S.,Faulkner, S.,Brook, E. (2017). What have we learned? In: Queering Families, Schooling Publics, Routledge, New York, United States
- Harris, A.,Davis, S.,Snepvangers, K.,De Bruin, L. (2017). Creative formats, creative futures In: Departures in Critical Qualitative Research, 6, 48 - 61
- De Bruin, L.,Harris, A. (2017). Fostering creative ecologies in Australasian secondary schools In: Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 42, 23 - 43
- Harris, A. (2016). Creativity and education, Palgrave Macmillan, United Kingdom
- Harris, A.,Jones, S. (2016). Writing for performance, Sense, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Jones, S.,Harris, A. (2016). Traveling skin: A cartography of the body In: Liminalities: A Journal of Performance Studies, 12, 1 - 27
- Harris, A.,Jones, S. (2016). Genderfication In: Critical Concepts in Queer Studies and Education, Springer, New York, United States
4 PhD Current Supervisions
- Transforming 21st Century Creativity Education in Australasia. Funded by: ARC Future Fellowships Grant 2016 from (2017 to 2021)