Associate Professor Anne M Harris is a Principal Research Fellow (Research Associate Professor) in the School of Education and the Design and Creative Practice ECP.
Anne recently completed an ARC DECRA Fellowship investigating creative ecologies in secondary school and across the education lifespan.
Her research focuses upon the intersection of creativity, performance and digital media at both practice and policy levels, upon youth cultures and cultural, ethnic and gender diversities; and on performance and activism. The necessity of work across these areas—particularly the role of creative practice to inform/evoke/transform social change (specifically through public pedagogy, activism, and creative education)—is evidenced by the international uptake of my work and the ubiquitous hunger for more creative approaches to education, research and community/industry partnerships.
She is the creator and editor of the Palgrave Macmillan book series Creativity, Education and the Arts, the ABER co-editor of the Journal of Curriculum and Pedagogy and on the editorial board of several journals and book series. She co-edited the following special issues: “Critical Approaches to Arts Based Research,” co-edited with Mary Ann Hunter and Clare Hall, UNESCO Observatory Multidisciplinary Research in the Arts (2014); “Creative Pedagogies” co-edited with Stacy Holman Jones, Departures in Critical Qualitative Research (2014); and “Sexuality, Culture and Creativity: Commodification and Contemporary Publics” co-edited with Yvette Taylor, Continuum: Journal of Media & Cultural Studies (2016).
- PHD Victoria University (2010)
- Master of Fine Arts (Playwriting/Screenwriting) New York University (1995)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Dramatic Writing, English) New York University (1994).
- Leavy, P.,Harris, A. (2019). Contemporary Feminist Research from Theory to Practice, Guilford Press, United States
- Harris, A.,Holman Jones, S. (2019). Activist Affect In: Qualitative Inquiry, 25, 563 - 565
- Harris, A. (2019). A story is not a thing (But it does have a life) In: Departures In Critical Qualitative Research, 7, 25 - 29
- Holman Jones, S.,Harris, A. (2019). (On The) Body As Book In: Departures in Critical Qualitative Research, 8, 76 - 82
- Hjorth, L.,Harris, A.,Jungnickel, K.,Coombs, G. (2019). Creative Practice Ethnographies, Lexington Books, United States
- Harris, A.,Holman Jones, S. (2019). The Queer Life of Things, Lexington Books, New York, United States
- Harris, A. (2019). Between Bodies: Queer Grief in the Anthropocene In: Qualitative Inquiry at a Crossroads, International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry Series, New York, United States
- Harris, A. (2019). Learning is such sweet sorrow In: International Review of Qualitative Research, 12, 5 - 16
- Harris, A.,Holman Jones, S.,Wyatt, J. (2019). Moving, shaking and tracking: Micro-making in video, performance and poetry In: MAI: Feminism and Visual Culture, , 1 - 10
- Harris, A.,Holman Jones, S. (2018). Creativity, intimate publics and the proxemics of pop up poetry performance In: Creativity in Theatre, Springer, The Netherlands
13 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions
- Borderline Personality as Social Phenomena. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grants 2019 from (2020 to 2023)
- Staging Australian Women�s Lives: Theatre, Feminism and Socially Engaged Art (externally led by Monash University). Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects via other university 2020 from (2020 to 2023)
- Transforming 21st Century Creativity Education in Australasia. Funded by: ARC Future Fellowships Grant 2016 from (2017 to 2021)
- Narratives of digital resilience. Funded by: Department of Premier and Cabinet: Social Cohesion Research Grant 2017 from (2017 to 2019)
- Innovation in methods and ethics: Digital ethnography and vulnerable communities. Funded by: ATN (Australian Technology Network) Research Project from (2017 to 2018)