Associate Professor Anne M Harris is a Principal Research Fellow (Research Associate Professor) in the School of Education and the Design and Creative Practice ECP.
Anne recently completed an ARC DECRA Fellowship investigating creative ecologies in secondary school and across the education lifespan.
Her research focuses upon the intersection of creativity, performance and digital media at both practice and policy levels, upon youth cultures and cultural, ethnic and gender diversities; and on performance and activism. The necessity of work across these areas—particularly the role of creative practice to inform/evoke/transform social change (specifically through public pedagogy, activism, and creative education)—is evidenced by the international uptake of my work and the ubiquitous hunger for more creative approaches to education, research and community/industry partnerships.
She is the creator and editor of the Palgrave Macmillan book series Creativity, Education and the Arts, the ABER co-editor of the Journal of Curriculum and Pedagogy and on the editorial board of several journals and book series. She co-edited the following special issues: “Critical Approaches to Arts Based Research,” co-edited with Mary Ann Hunter and Clare Hall, UNESCO Observatory Multidisciplinary Research in the Arts (2014); “Creative Pedagogies” co-edited with Stacy Holman Jones, Departures in Critical Qualitative Research (2014); and “Sexuality, Culture and Creativity: Commodification and Contemporary Publics” co-edited with Yvette Taylor, Continuum: Journal of Media & Cultural Studies (2016).
- PHD Victoria University (2010)
- Master of Fine Arts (Playwriting/Screenwriting) New York University (1995)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Dramatic Writing, English) New York University (1994).
- Harris, A.,Holman Jones, S. (2019). Activist Affect In: Qualitative Inquiry, 25, 563 - 565
- Hjorth, L.,Harris, A.,Jungnickel, K.,Coombs, G. (2019). Creative Practice Ethnographies, Lexington Books, United States
- Harris, A.,De Bruin, L. (2018). Secondary school creativity, teacher practice and STEAM education: An international study In: Journal of Educational Change, 19, 153 - 179
- Harris, A.,De Bruin, L. (2018). An international study of creative pedagogies in practice in secondary schools: Toward a creative ecology In: Journal of Curriculum and Pedagogy, 15, 215 - 235
- Harris, A.,Holman Jones, S.,Faulkner, S.,Brook, E. (2018). Queering Families, Schooling Publics: Keywords, Routledge, New York, United States
- Harris, A.,Holman Jones, S. (2018). I Am A Monument In: CREATIVE SELVES/CREATIVE CULTURES: CRITICAL AUTOETHNOGRAPHY, PERFORMANCE, AND PEDAGOGY, Palgrave Macmillan, Germany
- Harris, A.,Jones, S. (2017). Feeling fear, feeling queer: the peril and potential of queer terror In: Qualitative Inquiry, 23, 561 - 568
- Harris, A.,Davis, S.,Snepvangers, K.,De Bruin, L. (2017). Creative formats, creative futures In: Departures in Critical Qualitative Research, 6, 48 - 61
- De Bruin, L.,Harris, A. (2017). Fostering creative ecologies in Australasian secondary schools In: Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 42, 23 - 43
- Harris, A.,De Bruin, L. (2017). Training teachers for twenty-first century creative and critical thinking: Australian implications from an international study In: Teaching Education, 29, 234 - 250
10 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions
- Transforming 21st Century Creativity Education in Australasia. Funded by: ARC Future Fellowships Grant 2016 from (2017 to 2021)
- Narratives of digital resilience. Funded by: Department of Premier and Cabinet: Social Cohesion Research Grant 2017 from (2017 to 2019)