Sand Helsel is Professor of Architecture at RMIT University, and Director of International in the School of Architecture and Design.
Relationship between art and architecture
Land art and contemporary art practice
Highways, water, reclamation, etc.
Public art and design.
Professor of Architectural Design
Research Stream and Coordinator: Expanded Field
Director International Development, School of Architecture and Design; Chair of International Committee.
Director of Teaching and Learning: Lower Pool Design. Curator Asian Architecture and Urbanism.
Director, X_Field post-graduate stream
2009 PhD examiner: University of Hong Kong
2009 PhD examiner: University of New South Wales
2008–2010 External Examiner, Singapore Polytechnic: international academic
2008 Invited critic: Singapore Polytechnic; Melbourne University Masters of Urban Design KLDF 08
2008 Kuala Lumpur Design Forum, PAM [Malaysian Institute of Architects]
2008 Convention, Kuala Lumpur Conference Centre Malaysia, 3 July 2008: moderator
2008 “AAAsia Workshop: Asian Modernity”, Tamkang University, Tamshui, Taiwan, 27 Oct, 2008: panellist
2004–2007 Adjunct Professor, Charles Sturt University, School of Visual and Performing Arts, Wagga Wagga, NSW
2006 Interstate juror: RAIA Bronze Medal; Mirvac Medal: RAIA NSW student awards
2006 International Experts Board member Iakov Chernikhov International Prize
Awards and achievements
Major collections (2008): 11 No. artists books, published books and projects purchased for the archive of the Center for Design and Environment, Nevada Museum of Art
Major collections (2009): Helsel, S. (2009). A Search for Common Pleasures: Curating the City. Melbourne: self-published PhD: included in the archive of the Center for Design and Environment, Nevada Museum of Art.
- McLeod, R.,Helsel, S.,Qiu, S.,Chua, J.,Hartono, D. (2015). Design Life Penang In: Design Life Penang Penang, Malaysia
- Helsel, S.,Johnson, A.,Kim, J.,Min, L. (2014). Architectural Urbanism: Seoul/Melbourne In: Architectural Urbanism: Seoul/Melbourne Melbourne, Australia
- McLeod, R.,Helsel, S.,Chyon, G.,Dewanto Ongkoutomo, C.,Taek Soo Tex, K.,Hong, C. (2013). Design Life SEOUL In: Design Life SEOUL Seoul, South Korea
- Black, R.,Helsel, S. (2013). X_Field Archive Exhibition In: X_Field Archive Exhibition Melbourne, Australia
- Helsel, S.,Chen, G. (2013). All of the Factories in LuZhou In: Working Cities exhibition Taipei, Taiwan
- Helsel, S. (2013). Working Cities: LuZhou In: Working Cities exhibition and symposium Taipei, Taiwan
- Helsel, S. (2013). X_Field Taipei: Archive In: 'X_Field Taipei: Archive' + related symposium Taipei, Taiwan
- Helsel, S. (2013). Urban Still Life (with mops and brooms): Taipei version In: 'X_Field Taipei: Archive' + related symposium Taipei, Taiwan
- Zakariya, K.,Ware, S.,Helsel, S. (2012). Choreographing the everyday feast: accommodating Malaysian temporary markets in a changing context In: Spaces and Flows: An International Journal of Urban and ExtraUrban Studies, 2, 239 - 260
- Helsel, S.,McLeod, R. (2012). Design Life Bangkok In: Design Life Bangkok Bangkok, Thailand
15 PhD Completions and 6 Masters by Research Completions5 PhD Current Supervisions
- Architectural Urbanism: Seoul/Melbourne. Funded by: Australia-Korea Foundation from (2013 to 2014)
- Asian Architecture and Urbanism: Melbourne / Seoul. Funded by: Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Research Agreement Contract from (2012 to 2013)
- X_Field exhibition(s) and catalogue: Beijing, Seoul, Melbourne. Funded by: Veski Endowment Grant pre-2014 from (2010 to 2013)
- X_Field Exhibition. Funded by: Australia-Korea Foundation from (2010 to 2011)