Jussi is a researcher focused on game design, playful design, and using games outside of leisure contexts. His latest work has examined playful and game design for positive behaviour change.
He holds a PhD in Digital Game Development from the Blekinge Institute of Technology in Sweden, and has been researching game design and gameplay experience since 1998, having authored or co-authored many academic publications and patents. Jussi serves as a member of the Digital Games Research Association (DiGRA) executive board and is a member of several program committees such as Games and Culture, Game Studies, Advances in Computer Entertainment, and the DiGRA annual conference.
Before moving to RMIT Europe in early 2015, Jussi was previously the Europe Co-Director for RMIT’s Games and Experimental Entertainment Laboratory in Germany. He has also served senior research management positions at the Nokia Research Center (NRC) and was involved in coordinating several industry and academia collaboration projects.
- Krome, S.,Holopainen, J.,Greuter, S. (2017). AutoPlay: unfolding motivational affordances of autonomous driving In: Automotive User Interfaces, Springer, Germany
- Krome, S.,Batty, J.,Greuter, S.,Holopainen, J. (2017). AutoJam: exploring interactive music experiences in stop-and-go traffic In: Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 10-14 June 2017
- Muscat, A.,Goddard, W.,Duckworth, J.,Holopainen, J. (2016). First-Person Walkers: understanding the Walker experience through four design themes In: Proceedings of the First International Joint Conference of DiGRA and FDG, Dundee, Scotland, 1-6 August 2016
- Goddard, W.,Muscat, A.,Manning, J.,Holopainen, J. (2016). Interactive Dome Experiences: Designing AstroSurf In: Proceedings of the 20th International Academic Mindtrek Conference, Tampere, Finland, 17-19 October 2016
- Stober, J.,Holopainen, J.,Walz, S.,Schwingeler, S. (2015). RIDE YOUR MIND In: GLOBALE: Global Games Karlsruhe, Germany
- Holopainen, J.,Stain, M. (2015). Dissecting playfulness for practical design In: The Gameful World, MIT Press, Cambridge, United States
- Boberg, M.,Karapanos, E.,Holopainen, J.,Lucero, A. (2015). PLEXQ: Towards a Playful Experiences Questionnaire In: Proceedings of the 2015 Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play (CHI PLAY 2015), London, United Kingdom, 3-7 October 2015
- Nummenmaa, T.,Tyni, H.,Kultima, A.,Alha, K.,Holopainen, J. (2015). Need to Touch, Wonder of Discovery, and Social Capital: Experiences with Interactive Playful Seats In: Proceedings of the 11th Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology (ACE '15), Iskandar, Malaysia, 16-19 November 2015
- Krome, S.,Walz, S.,Greuter, S.,Holopainen, J.,Gerlicher, A.,Schleehauf, M. (2014). Exploring game ideas for stresslessness in the automotive domain In: Proceedings of the 2014 Conference on Interactive Entertainment, IE2014, Newcastle, Australia, 2-3 December 2014
- Krome, S.,Holopainen, J.,Walz, S. (2014). Approaching a design space for gameful interactions in the context of piloted driving In: Adjunct Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Automotive User Interfaces and Interactive Vehicular Applications, Seattle, United States, 17-19 September 2014
- Hybrid Environments for Crowdsourced Curation of European History (HERODOTUS). Funded by: H2020: Societal Challenges: Cultural Cooperation Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2019)
2 PhD Completions3 PhD Current Supervisions