Dr. Akram Hourani main research areas are: wireless communications, stochastic geometry, aerial networks, and radar systems.
- Engineering / Program Manager ICT (2006 - 2013)
- Research fellow, The university of Melbourne (2016)
- Lecturer, RMIT University (2016 - Current)
Honors and awards
- Senior member at the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (SMIEEE)
- High Achiever in the Student Choice Teaching Award for RMIT Collage of Science, Engineering and Health (2015).
- First Prize Award for the Best Presentation, RMIT Higher Degree Research Conference, (2014).
Research projects involvement
- ABSOLUTE: Europe-Union FP-7 Project. Public safety and disaster recovery communication solutions.
- Australian Research Council Discovery Project Grant “Cognitive Radars for Automobiles”, ARC grant number DP150104473
- Wireless communications
- Stochastic geometry
- Aerial networks (Air-to-Ground communications)
- Automotive Radar systems and interference
- Vehicular communications
- Millimeter-wave technology
- Bachelor of Engineering in Communication and Electronics, Beirut Arab University, Beirut, Lebanon (2006)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Wireless Communications), RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia (2016).
Dr. Hourani has more than 7 years of industry experience, worked as a radio and network planning engineer for mobile telecom industry, and then as an ICT Program / Engineering Manager for several projects spanning over different technologies including mobile networks deployment, satellite networks, and railway communication systems, in his roles Dr. Hourani combined both managerial and technical skills for excellent project delivery and business acquisition.
Industry technical skills
- ICT systems design and architecture (Wireless Networks, Indoor and outdoor RF Planning, Satellite Systems)
- Bidding and cost estimation
- Embedded systems research and development
Industry managerial skills
- Business development
- Program and project management
- Corporate strategic planning
- Hourani, A.,Evans, R.,Sithamparanathan, K.,Moran, W.,Eltom, H. (2017). Stochastic Geometry Methods for Modeling Automotive Radar Interference In: IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, , 1 - 12
- Hourani, A.,Chandrasekharan, S.,Sithamparanathan, K.,Jamalipour, A. (2017). Aerial platforms for public safety networks and performance optimization In: Wireless Public Safety Networks 3, Elsevier, London, United Kingdom
- Arafat, A.,Hourani, A.,Nafi, N.,Gregory, M. (2017). (In Press) A survey on dynamic spectrum access for LTE-advanced In: Wireless Personal Communications, , 1 - 21`
- Hourani, A.,Evans, R.,Farrell, P.,Moran, W.,Martorella, M.,Sithamparanathan, K.,Skafidas, S.,Parampalli, U. (2017). mmWave radar systems and techniques In: Academic Press Library in Signal Processing Volume 7, Academic Press, United States
- Hampton, B.,Hourani, A.,Ristic, B.,Moran, W. (2017). RFS-SLAM robot: An experimental platform for RFS based occupancy-grid SLAM In: Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Information Fusion (Fusion 2017), Xi'an, China, 10-13 July 2017
- Hourani, A.,Gomez Chavez, K. (2017). In Press - Modeling cellular-to-UAV path-loss for suburban environments In: IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, , 1 - 4
- Hourani, A.,Evans, R.,Moran, W.,Sithamparanathan, K.,Parampalli, U. (2017). Efficient range-doppler processing for random stepped frequency radar in sutomotive applications In: Proceedings of the IEEE 85th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC 2017), Sydney, Australia, 4-7 June 2017
- Hourani, A.,Evans, R.,Sithamparanathan, K. (2016). Nearest neighbor distance distribution in hard-core point processes In: IEEE Communications Letters, 20, 1872 - 1875
- Chandrasekharan, S.,Hourani, A.,Gomez Chavez, K.,Sithamparanathan, K.,Evans, R.,Reynaud, L.,Scalise, S. (2016). Performance evaluation of LTE and WiFi technologies in aerial networks In: Proceedings of the 2016 IEEE Global Communications Conference: Workshops: Wireless Networking, Control and Positioning for Unmanned Autonomous Vehicles (GLOBECOM 2016), Washington DC, USA, 4-8 December 2016
- Hourani, A.,Chandrasekharan, S.,Kaandorp, G.,Glenn, W.,Jamalipour, A.,Sithamparanathan, K. (2016). Coverage and rate analysis of aerial base stations In: IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, 52, 3077 - 3081
6 PhD Current Supervisions