Associate Professor May Hu is Associate Professor in the school of Economics, Finance and Marketing at RMIT University.
May has finished her Bachelor of Commerce in just two years. After completing her first-class honours in finance and economics, May has worked in investment banks as a security price analyst and mergers and acquisitions advisor. May has been teaching corporate finance, financial markets and MBA programs. She is an accredited HDR supervisor and has been supervising a number of HDR students. May has been a program director, project manager and HDR coordinator. Her research has won many awards and grants from academic and industry bodies. She is also a member of CPA Australia and Chartered Accountant of Australia and New Zealand. She also served as journal reviewers and guest editor of academic journals, as well as independent director of joint venture fund management and private equity companies in China.
- Best Paper Award at the International Financial Engineering and Risk Management Conference
- Best Paper Award in Corporate Finance at the Financial Markets and Corporate Governance Conference
- Best Paper Award in the Finance field at the Australian Research Centre in Accounting, Finance and Economics
- Best Paper Award at the Global Accounting, Finance and Economics Conference
- Outstanding Research Award at the Winter Global Finance and Business Conference in the USA
- PhD Scholarship
- CFA Scholarship
- AFAANZ Research Grant
- Deakin Faculty Grant
- Early Career Researcher Grant
- Grant from National Natural Science Foundation (NNSF)
- Research Travel Grant
- E&F AFA Conference Travel Grant
- Corporate finance, corporate governance, risk management
- Dividend policy, mergers and acquisitions, capital structure
- CEO power, board structure, political connection
- CSR, environmental finance, CDS
- Financial innovation and corporate fraud
- Financial anomaly, market sentiment and behavioural finance
- Mutual fund, crowd funding, venture capital
May's publications can be accessed via Google Scholar.
Contact via email
PhD. MBA. CPA. CA. BCom(Hons)
- Member, American Finance Association (AFA).
- Member, American Financial Management Association (FMA).
- Member, Asian Finance Association (Asian AFA).
- Member, Financial Services Institute of Australia (FINSA).
- Member, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand (AFAANZ).
- Member, CPA Australia.
- Member, CA, Institute of Chartered Accountant Australia and New Zealand.
- Candidate of CFA Institute (exams passed).
- Jarrow, R.,Li, H.,Ye, X.,Hu, M. (2019). Exploring Mispricing in the Term Structure of CDS Spreads In: Review of Finance, 23, 161 - 198
- Hu, M.,Zhang, J.,Chao, C. (2019). Regional financial efficiency and its non-linear effects on economic growth in China In: International Review of Economics and Finance, 59, 193 - 206
- Hu, M.,Tuilautala, M.,Kang, Y. (2019). Bandwagon effect: Special dividend payments In: International Review of Economics & Finance, , 1 - 25
- Cheung, A.,Hu, M.,Schwiebert, J. (2018). Corporate social responsibility and dividend policy In: Accounting and Finance, 58, 787 - 816
- Beladi, H.,Chao, C.,Hu, M. (2018). Do venture capitalists function the same: The evidence from the Chinese newest stock market, ChiNext In: World Economy, 41, 2020 - 2041
- Beladi, H.,Chao, C.,Hu, M. (2018). Does tax avoidance behavior affect bank loan contracts for Chinese listed firms? In: International Review of Financial Analysis, 58, 104 - 116
- Chao, C.,Hu, M.,Munir, Q.,Li, T. (2017). The impact of CEO power on corporate capital structure: New evidence from dynamic panel threshold analysis In: International Review of Economics and Finance, 51, 107 - 120
- Hu, M.,Chao, C.,Malone, C.,Young, M. (2017). Real determinants of stock split announcements In: International Review of Economics and Finance, 51, 574 - 598
- Hou, Q.,Hu, M.,Yuan, Y. (2017). Corporate innovation and political connections in Chinese listed firms In: Pacific Basin Finance Journal, 46, 158 - 176
- Beladi, H.,Chao, C.,Hu, M. (2016). The Christmas effect-Special dividend announcements In: International Review of Financial Analysis, 43, 15 - 30
1 PhD Current Supervisions