Elise Hunkin is a lecturer in early childhood education with RMIT's School of Education.
As a lecturer in early childhood education, Elise assists with course delivery and professional experience.
Her research investigates recent 'quality' reform policy in Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC) in Australia. Using a critical historical approach, her work critiques the discourse of quality in ECEC policy both locally and globally with the view to create spaces for advocacy and change.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Early Childhood)
- Master of Education (Early Childhood)
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education (Honours)
Elise has ten years of teaching experience in early childhood settings, including three and four year old sessional and long-day kindergarten and prep.
She has lectured in a variety of courses since 2010. Her professional interests include Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC) history, policy and politics, behaviour and classroom management, curriculum and pedagogy and ECEC leadership.
Elise is VIT registered.
4 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions
- Hunkin, E. (2021). Devastating impacts? Investigating ‘edu-quality’ discourse in early childhood policy and its implications In: Journal of Education Policy, 36, 196 - 210
- Hunkin, E.,Kilderry, A.,Nolan, A. (2021). (In Press) Affirmative discourse intervention: A framework for re-democratising engagement with education policy discourse In: Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood, , 1 - 16
- Westbrook, F.,Hunkin, E. (2020). Play and Learning?: A Critical Discourse Analysis of the Treatment of Play in Relation to Learning in Australian and New Zealand Early Childhood Curricula Frameworks In: Beijing International Review of Education, 2, 182 - 196
- Hunkin, E. (2019). If not quality, then what? The discursive risks in early childhood quality reform In: Discourse, 40, 917 - 929
- Hunkin, E. (2019). Being seen and being changed: a story of 'quality' Early Childhood Education and the Global Education Reform Movement In: Challenging the Intersection of Policy with Pedagogy, Routledge, London and New York
- Hunkin, E. (2019). The Quality Agenda in Early Childhood Education, Palgrave Pivot, London, United Kingdom
- Hunkin, E. (2018). Whose quality? The (mis)uses of quality reform in early childhood and education policy In: Journal of Education Policy, 33, 443 - 456
- Hunkin, E. (2016). Deploying Foucauldian genealogy: critiquing 'quality' reform in early childhood policy in Australia In: Power and Education, 8, 35 - 53
- Hunkin, E. (2014). We're offering true play-based learning: Teacher perspectives on educational dis/continuity in the early years In: Australasian Journal of Early Childhood, 39, 30 - 35