Md Tasbirul Islam, PhD in Engineering, is a Research Fellow at the IC3P (integrated Circular Economy, Climate Change, Clean Energy Platform), School of Property Contraction and Property Management, RMIT University.
Before coming to RMIT University, he worked as a Research Assistant at SMaRT Centre, UNSW Sydney on plastic waste recycling and management and as a Casual Academic for 4 years at Macquarie University teaching Engineering Dynamics and Thermodynamics to undergraduate students. He was also involved with Curtin University Sustainability Policy (CUSP) Institute, Curtin University, investigating potential of 2nd life application of solar PV panels in Australia. He worked as a Research Assistant at University Science Malaysia (USM) and University of Malaya (UM), Malaysia and Lecturer at Department of Mechanical Engineering, IUBAT – International University of Business Agriculture and Technology.
Tasbirul completed his PhD degree from Macquarie University in 2020 on electronic waste management in Australia and potentials for circular economy in the sector. During his PhD degree, he published 15 research articles, 2 book chapters and 4 conference papers.
Previously he completed his master degree under Erasmus Mundus Program in Italy, Germany, and Hungary with a CUM LAUDE. He did a project work at University of Regensburg, Germany and conducted a 4 months-long internship at Institute for Employment Research (IAB) of the Federal Employment Agency, Nuremberg, Germany. He completed his Engineering Master degree from Politecnico Di Milano, Milan, Italy.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
"Achieving circular economy for the e-waste sector in Australia"
Erasmus Mundus –Joint European Master in Comparative Local Development (Master CoDe)
University of Trento, Trento, Italy.
"The role of SME’s and entrepreneurship for local development by means of disruptive innovation"
Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Mechanical Engineering
Politecnico Di Milano (POLIMI), Lecco Campus, Milan, Italy
"Methodology to estimate energy on the reverse logistics for Waste Electrical and Electronics Equipment (WEEE): case study on USA and Italy"
Bachelor of Science (BSc.) in Mechanical Engineering
Islamic University of Technology (IUT), Dhaka, Bangladesh
"Performance analysis of box-type solar cooker"
- Islam, M.,Huda, N.,Baumber, A.,Hossain, R.,Sahajwalla, V. (2022). Waste battery disposal and recycling behavior: a study on the Australian perspective In: Environmental Science and Pollution Research, , 1 - 22
- Shanker, R.,Khan, D.,Hossain, R.,Islam, M.,Locock, K.,Ghose, A.,Sahajwalla, V.,Schandl, H.,Dhodapkar, R. (2022). Plastic waste recycling: existing Indian scenario and future opportunities In: International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, , 1 - 18
- Hossain, R.,Islam, M.,Shanker, R.,Khan, D.,Locock, K.,Ghose, A.,Schandl, H.,Dhodapkar, R.,Sahajwalla, V. (2022). Plastic Waste Management in India: Challenges, Opportunities, and Roadmap for Circular Economy In: Sustainability, 14, 1 - 34
- Dias, P.,Islam, M.,Lu, B.,Huda, N.,Bernarde, A. (2022). E-waste transboundary movement regulations in various jurisdiction In: Electronic Waste, John Wiley & Sons, Weinheim, Germany
- Islam, M.,Iyer-Raniga, U. (2022). Lithium-Ion Battery Recycling in the Circular Economy: A Review In: Recycling, 7, 1 - 39
- Islam, M.,Huda, N.,Baumber, A.,Shumon, M.,Zaman, A.,Ali, F.,Hossain, R.,Sahajwalla, V. (2021). A global review of consumer behavior towards e-waste and implications for the circular economy In: Journal of Cleaner Production, 316, 1 - 36
- Islam, M.,Nizami, M.,Mahmoudi, S.,Huda, N. (2021). Reverse logistics network design for waste solar photovoltaic panels: A case study of New South Wales councils in Australia In: Waste Management and Research, 39, 386 - 395
- Islam, M.,Dias, P.,Huda, N. (2021). Young consumers’ e-waste awareness, consumption, disposal, and recycling behavior: A case study of university students in Sydney, Australia In: Journal of Cleaner Production, 282, 1 - 18
- Islam, M.,Huda, N. (2020). Assessing the recycling potential of “unregulated” e-waste in Australia In: Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 152, 1 - 15
- Islam, M.,Huda, N. (2020). E-waste management practices in Australia In: Handbook of Electronic Waste Management, Butterworth-Heinemann, Cambridge, United States