Dr Beth Jelfs is a VC Research Fellow in the School of Engineering at RMIT.
Beth's research focuses on signal processing and the use of signal processing methods to gain a greater understanding of data.
By characterising multichannel and multimodal data recorded from complex systems she aims to ensure that relevant information is preserved during processing. While the use of adaptive approaches allows identification and tracking of changes within the data.
For further information, please visit her personal homepage.
- Ph.D. (Imperial College London, UK)
- M.Eng. (First class honors) (University of Leicester, UK)
- Zhai, X.,Jelfs, B.,Chan, R.,Tin, C. (2017). Self-recalibrating surface EMG pattern recognition for neuroprosthesis control based on convolutional neural network In: Frontiers in Neuroscience, 11, 1 - 11
- Li, Y.,Jelfs, B.,Chan, R. (2017). Entropy of surface EMG reflects object weight in grasp-and-lift task In: Proceedings of 39th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Seogwipo, South Korea, 11-15 July 2017
- Jelfs, B.,Chan, R. (2017). Directionality indices: Testing information transfer with surrogate correction In: Physical Review E, 96, 1 - 13
- Cao, B.,Wang, J.,Shahed, M.,Jelfs, B.,Chan, R.,Li, Y. (2016). Vagus Nerve Stimulation Alters Phase Synchrony of the Anterior Cingulate Cortex and Facilitates Decision Making in Rats In: Scientific Reports, 6, 1 - 12
- Cao, B.,Wang, J.,Zhang, X.,Yang, X.,Poon, D.,Jelfs, B.,Chan, R.,Wu, J.,Li, Y. (2016). Impairment of decision making and disruption of synchrony between basolateral amygdala and anterior cingulate cortex in the maternally separated rat In: Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, 136, 74 - 85
- Gao, Y.,Zhang, G.,Jelfs, B.,Carmer, R.,Venkatraman, P.,Ghadami, M.,Brown, S.,Pang, C.,Leung, Y.,Chan, R.,Zhang, M. (2016). Computational classification of different wild-type zebrafish strains based on their variation in light-induced locomotor response In: Computers in Biology and Medicine, 69, 1 - 9
- So, W.,Yang, L.,Jelfs, B.,She, Q.,Wong, S.,Mak, J.,Chan, R. (2016). Cross-frequency information transfer from EEG to EMG in grasping In: Proceedings of the 38th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC 2016), Orlando, Florida, United States, 16-20 August 2016
- Zhai, X.,Jelfs, B.,Chan, R.,Tin, C. (2016). Short latency hand movement classification based on surface EMG spectrogram with PCA In: Proceedings of the 38th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC 2016), Orlando, Florida, United States, 16-20 August 2016
- Jelfs, B.,Li, L.,Tin, C.,Chan, R. (2016). Fuzzy entropy based nonnegative matrix factorization for muscle synergy extraction In: Proceedings of the 41st IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP 2016), Shanghai, China, 20-25 March 2016
- Jelfs, B.,Zhou, S.,Wong, B.,Tin, C.,Chan, R. (2015). Recruitment of small synergistic movement makes a good pianist In: Proceedings of the 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC 2015), Milan, Italy, 25-29 August 2015
3 PhD Current Supervisions
- Muscle fatigue monitor. Funded by: Global Connections Fund Bridging Grants 2017 from (2017 to 2018)