Dr Richard Johnson is a Senior Lecturer at the School of Education.
- Internationalising the curriculum
- Intercultural teaching
- Intercultural learning and teaching through online dialogue
- Enacting Pedagogy Through Forum Theatre
- Literati Award 2020: Awards for Excellence, Emerald Publishing
- Deakin University Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Outstanding Teaching.
- Rotary International Scholarship to work in Tribhuvan University, Nepal
Research, consultancy and projects
- Forum Pedagogy – Using forum theatre in mainstream teacher education. Faculty of Arts & Education Teaching & Learning Grants.
- Building cross-Cultural Understandings Through e-Chatter.
- Global Experience Program: Mumbai – Facilitating the development of global teachers.
- Respecting context and culture: Internationalising the curriculum in the Faculty of Education
- ‘Passage from India’ Immigration Museum, Access Gallery, Melbourne, Exhibition on the Anglo Indian Community.
- The social and pedagogical impact of the integration of new learning technologies in schools
- Internationalisation, Inclusivity and Innovative Knowledge Work
- Are you being served project? A survey of teachers’ response to teacher education practicum
- Effective use of information and communications technology to enhance learning for disadvantaged students.
- Good Learning on the World Wide Web (GLOW) Project
- The shape of on-line learning spaces. Mentored Research Grant, Faculty of Education
- Professional Development on the Internet for Teachers. A ‘Research in Computer Education’ (RICE) project
- Professional Development for Principals on the Internet.
- Investigations in Metacognitive Learning Processes with Computers: Learner Based Inquiries
Graduate Certificate in Education: Internationalising the Curriculum
Coordinator: Children Education Setting and Society
PhD, Monash University – Emphasis: Professional Development
M.A. (by thesis), University of Melbourne – Emphasis: India-Australia cross cultural relations
Graduate Diploma in Education Studies in Computers in Education, Charles Sturt University – Emphasis: Computers in Education/Change/Innovation
M.A. (prelim.), University of Melbourne – Emphasis: Indian Studies
Bachelor of Education, LaTrobe University – Emphasis: Comparative Education
Bachelor of Teaching, St. Xavier’s College, Calcutta – Emphasis: English & History
Bachelor of Commerce, St. Xavier’s College, Calcutta – Emphasis: Economics & Accounting
- Joseph, D.,Johnson, R. (2021). Studying Abroad while Staying at Home in Australia: Diverse Intercultural Learning and Teaching through Partnerships In: Inequalities in Study Abroad and Student Mobility, Routledge, New York, United States
- Johnson, R.,Ginsberg, S.,Wilks-Smith, N. (2020). Enhancing memory for learning: Teachers' journeys of implementing memory strategies in their classrooms In: Scan, 39, 2 - 14
- Brigden, C.,Fricker, A.,Johnson, R.,Chester, A. (2020). Speaking Together: Reflections on Reconciliation, Yarning Circles, and Signature Pedagogies In: Tertiary Education in a Time of Change, Springer, Singapore
- Joseph, D.,Johnson, R. (2020). Intercultural practicum: Perceptual learning through video in the pandemic context In: New Zealand Journal of Teachers' Work, 17, 56 - 72
- Cooper, G.,Park, H.,Nasr, Z.,Thong, L.,Johnson, R. (2019). Using virtual reality in the classroom: preservice teachers' perceptions of its use as a teaching and learning tool In: Educational Media International, 56, 1 - 13
- Joseph, D.,Johnson, R. (2019). Colour, culture and difference in Australian teacher education: voices from the edge In: Qualitative Research Journal, 19, 324 - 343
- Wilks-Smith, N.,Cooper, G.,Johnson, R. (2018). Predictors of participation in senior secondary languages In: Babel, 53, 30 - 34
- Naghdi, M.,Johnson, R. (2016). "I wonder should I go or should I stay...": Retention of higher education students in an Australian University In: Global Learning in the 21st Century, Sense Publishers, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Carr, N.,Johnson, R. (2014). Engaging Gen Y pre-service teachers in online spaces to improve their digital and intercultural competence In: Proceedings of the Australian Teacher Educators Annual Conference 2014, Sydney, Australia, 6-9 July 2014
- Carr, N.,Johnson, R. (2014). eTutor: Building pre-service teachers' intercultural competence through an online environment In: Proceedings of EdMedia: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology 2014, Tampere, Finland, 23 June 2014
4 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions
- eTutor: Building preservice teachers' intercultural understandings and technological capabilities through online cross-cultural school-university partnerships. Funded by: Office for Learning and Teaching Grant Pre-2014 from (2013 to 2014)