Honours and awards
- Outstanding Investigator Award for Metabolomics, 10th International Metabolomics Society Meeting, Tsuruoka, Japan, 2014.
- RACI Hartung Youth Lecturer 2014
- RACI delegate to Science Meets Parliament 2014
- Nominated for the Australian & New Zealand Society for Magnetic Resonance (ANZMAG) Sir Paul Callaghan Medal for Outstanding Contributions to Magnetic Resonance by a Young Investigator, 2013.
- Nominated for the Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry Best Publication Award, 2008.
- Nominated for the Armstrong Prize for outstanding Ph.D. research carried out at Imperial College, 2005.
- Awarded an Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council Ph.D. Scholarship, 2001-2005.
- Awarded the Jan Dzienisiewicz M.Sc. Scholarship from Imperial College London, 2000-2001.
Academic and governmental agencies
- Metabolomics Australia
- Victoria Police Forensic Services Department
- Water Research Australia
- Deakin University (Conlan Group)
- Agilent Technologies
- Perkin Elmer
Editorial and peer-assessment
- Editorial Board of the Journal of Environmental Immunology and Toxicology
- Editorial Board of ANZMAGazine
- Reviewer of leading international journals from ACS, RSC, Wiley-VCH, Wiley, Elsevier and Nature Publishing Groups
- Expert assessor for the Australian Research Council. I also review grants for the NHMRC and the National Research Agencies of Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Holland, Switzerland and the UK.
- Organizing Committee, and Session Chair, 3rd SETAC Australasia conference Melbourne, Australia, 2013
- Organizing Committee, and Session facilitator, Australian Academy of Science Early- and Mid-Career Researcher Forum ‘Science Pathways’ meetings, Melbourne, Australia, 2013
- Dr Oliver A.H. Jones is a member of the Australian Science Media Centre (AusSMC) and I am regularly interviewed and quoted on TV, radio and newspapers about my research, particularly on chemicals in the environment and analytical chemistry. Most recently I have quoted in national newspapers such as "The Sydney Morning Herald" as well as the BBC.
- He also took part in an RMIT Talking Health podcast on the subject of the science and history of performance enhancing drugs.
- He also regularly write for Chemistry in Australia, the magazine of the RACI
- Course Coordinator, 1st Year Analytical Science (CHEM1257)
- Course Coordinator, Analytical Science, Open Universities Australia (CHEM1262 or SCC110)
- Course Coordinator, 3rd Year Advanced Instrumental Analysis (CHEM 1079), 100% student satisfaction for three years in a row
- Co- Coordinator, 3rd Year Environment Research Project Vietnam (ENVI1144)
- Lecturer, 3rd year Advanced Spectroscopic Analysis (CHEM1080)
- Lecturer, Applied Sciences Honours Course Unit - Metabolomics (ONPS2313)
- Guest Lecturer, 1st year Biological Chemistry (BIOL2260)
- Guest Lecturer, 1st year Protein Technologies (BIOL2226)
- Project Mentor, 3rd Year Professional Scientist (ONPS2335)
- Project Mentor, 3rd Year Science Project (ONPS2186)
Current research activities
- Analytical chemistry and separation science - especially new techniques and applications in multi-dimensional gas and liquid chromatography, mass spectrometry and NMR and vibrational spectroscopy
- Biochemistry - concentrating on metabolomics and related techniques
- Environmental toxicology and chemistry - particularly of contaminants of emerging concern such as endocrine disrupting compounds, pharmaceuticals and personal care products and mixtures thereof
- Food chemistry and analysis of contaminants from food packaging
- Forensic science, focussing on drug analysis and toxicology
Dr Oliver A.H. Jones currently supervises or co-supervises 8 PhD projects:
- Wholegrains and Traditional Bread Making Processes to Enhance the Health Benefits of Baked Goods (PhD in Applied Chemistry). Co-supervised with Associate Professor Darryl Small, funded via the Grains Research and Development Corporation
- The Synthesis of Chiral Aliphatic Benzodioxepinone Analogues (PhD in Organic Chemistry). Co-senior supervisor with Associate Professor Helmut Hugel and Mr Trevor Rook, funding via an Australian Postgraduate Award Scholarship
- Production of Bioactive Honey from Medicinal Plants (PhD in Biotechnology). Co-supervised with Associate Professor Eddie Pang and Dr. Nitin Mantri, funding via an Australian Postgraduate Award Scholarship
- New Techniques and Applications in Multidimensional Chromatography (PhD in Analytical Chemistry). . Senior Supervisor, funding via the CSIRO Food Futures Flagship and RMIT University
- Validation and Calibration of a new Device For the Detection of Chlorinated Organophosphorus Flame Retardants (PhD in Environmental Science). Co-supervised with Associate Professor Nicola Porter, funding via Water Research Australia
- The Occurrence of Disinfectant By-Products in Victorian Wastewater (PhD in Analytical Chemistry). Senior Supervisor, funding via RMIT
- The Study of the Physical Properties of High Fibre Beverages (PhD in Food Science). Co supervision with Professor Stefan Kasapis, funding via an ARC Linkage Grant between Professor Kasapis and Sanitarium Health and Wellbeing Australia
- Assessment of Cheese Quality and Flavour via Metabolomics (PhD in Food Science), Senior supervisor, funding via an Australian Postgraduate Award Scholarship
Dr Oliver A.H. Jones has supervised six Honours students in the areas of analytical, biological and environmental chemistry.
He is currently supervising approximately 5-7 third year projects per year in the areas of analytical chemistry and organic synthesis.
He is also co-supervising one postdoctoral research associate with Professor Stefan Kasapis, funding via an ARC Linkage Grant between Professor Kasapis and Sanitarium Health and Wellbeing Australia.
- Ph.D. Environmental Chemistry, Imperial College London, 2005
- M.Sc., Environmental Technology, Imperial College London, 2001
- B.Sc. (Hons.), Marine and Freshwater Biology, Queen Mary University of London), 2000
- Group Leader, Molecular and Separation Science Laboratory (MASSLab)
- Member - Australian Academy of Science National Committee for Chemistry
- Member - Australian Academy of Science Early and Mid-Career Researcher Forum
- Co-President - Proteomics and Metabolomics Victoria (PMV)
- Vice-President and founding member - Australian and New Zealand Metabolomics Network (ANZMN)
- Secretary and Board Member - Australian and New Zealand Society for Magnetic Resonance (ANZMAG)
- 2012 - present: Lecturer, School of Applied Sciences, RMIT University, Australia.
- 2010-2011: Lecturer, School of Engineering and Computing Sciences, Durham University, UK.
- 2005-2009: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, UK
Affiliations and professional memberships
- Member and Chartered Chemist - Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI)
- Member and Chartered Biologist - Society of Biology (UK)
- Member - International Metabolomics Society,
- Member - Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC)
- Member - Australian and New Zealand Society for Mass Spectrometry (ANZSMS)
- Member of the College Board for the College of Science Engineering and Health
- Co-organiser - School of Applied Sciences Early Career Researcher (ECR) forum.
- Member - RMIT Platform Technology Research Institute (PTRI) and Health Innovation Research Institute (HIRI)
- Co-director - RMIT Centre for Environmental Sustainability and Remediation (ENSURE)
- Member - RMIT Water: Effective Technologies and Tools (WETT) Centre
- 'Key Researcher' for RMIT's role in the Cooperative Research Centre for Contamination Assessment and Remediation of the Environment (CRC CARE) and in regard to RMIT's status as a preferred provided or services for EPA Victoria.
- RMIT School of Applied Sciences Seminar Co-ordinator
- Kwan, A.,Mobli, M.,Schirra, H.,Wilson, J.,Jones, O. (2019). Video with Impact: Access to the World's Magnetic-Resonance Experts for the Scientific-Education Community In: Journal of Chemical Education, 96, 159 - 164
- Pourjavaheri, F.,Ostovar, S.,Jones, O.,Smooker, P.,Brkljaca, R.,Sherkat, F.,Blanch, E.,Gupta, A.,Shanks, R. (2019). Extraction of Keratin from Waste Chicken Feathers Using Sodium Sulfide and L-cysteine In: Process Biochemistry, , 1 - 38
- Parlindungan, E.,Dekiwadia, C.,May, B.,Jones, O. (2019). Nutrient stress as a means to enhance the storage stability of spray dried microencapsulated Lactobacillus plantarum B21 In: LWT, 111, 204 - 210
- Pandohee, J.,Rees, R.,Spencer, M.,Raynor, A.,Jones, O. (2019). Combining computational and experimental approaches to select chromophores to enable the detection of fatty acids via HPLC In: Analytical Methods, 11, 2952 - 2959
- Jones, O.,Spichkova, M.,Spencer, M. (2018). Chirality-2: Development of a Multilevel Mobile Gaming App To Support the Teaching of Introductory Undergraduate-Level Organic Chemistry In: Journal of Chemical Education, 95, 1216 - 1220
- Jones, O. (2018). Illuminating the dark metabolome to advance the molecular characterisation of biological systems In: Metabolomics, 14, 1 - 11
- Alexandrou, L.,Meehan, B.,Jones, O. (2018). Disinfection By-products in Recycled Waters In: Water Scarcity and Ways to Reduce the Impact, Springer, Singapore
- McCance, W.,Jones, O.,Edwards, M.,Surapanenin, A.,Chadalavada, S.,Currell, M. (2018). Contaminants of Emerging Concern as Novel Groundwater Tracers for Delineating Wastewater Impacts in Urban and Peri-urban Areas In: Water Research, 146, 118 - 133
- Beale, D.,Pinu, F.,Kouremenos, K.,Poojary, M.,Narayana, V.,Boughton, B.,Kanojia, K.,Dayalan, S.,Jones, O.,Dias, D. (2018). Review of recent developments in GC-MS approaches to metabolomics-based research In: Metabolomics, 14, 1 - 31
- Beale, D.,Jones, O.,Karpe, A.,Oh, D.,White, I.,Kouremenos, K.,Palombo, E. (2018). Breathomics and Its Application for Disease Diagnosis: A Review of Analytical Techniques and Approaches In: Volatile Organic Compounds Analysis in Biomedical Diagnosis Applications, Apple Academic Press, New York, USA
- Towards total systems biology-based monitoring of anthropogenic contaminants and their impact on aquatic ecosystems (CSIRO Research Plus Postdoctoral Fellowship). Funded by: CSIRO Grant from (2019 to 2021)
- Insoluble-fibre enriched beverages: Innovation for a healthier Australia. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2016 from (2017 to 2020)
- Novel tracers to delineate groundwater contamination from wastewater treatment plants. Project No. 2.3.02-16/17. Funded by: CRC for Contamination Assessment and Remediation of the Environment from (2017 to 2020)
- Dynamic Nuclear Polarisation system for molecular structure determination. Administered by The University of Melbourne.. Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) 2016 from (2016 to 2017)
- Validation and calibration of a POCIS device for the detection of chlorinated organophosphorus flame retardants in Australian surface waters.. Funded by: Water Quality Research Australia Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2018)
7 PhD Completions9 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions