As Deputy Dean for Learning and Teaching (L&T) Engineering, Colin is responsible for the School's educational strategy and quality.
Prior to joining RMIT, he was an Associate Dean L&T at the University of Adelaide, Director of L&T in the School of Mechanical Engineering and a highly accomplished lecturer.
He consistently received high student evaluations of his work and was the recipient of a number of institutional and national teaching awards.
Colin established a successful engineering career in industry prior to entering academia, and now feels extremely privileged to directly influence the quality of future engineers.
While his early research interests included acoustics, biodiesel combustion, submarine design and autonomous underwater vehicles, his principal focus in educational quality led to his active involvement in the Australasian Association for Engineering Education (AAEE).
In 2014 Colin completed his term as president and continues to be an active member of this vibrant international community of scholarly practitioners, and hence remains influential within the international engineering education community.
He is a chartered engineer and a Fellow of Engineers Australia.
- 2000: Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering. "Active Control of Sound in a Small Single Engine Aircraft Cabin With Virtual Sensors" (The University of Adelaide, Australia).
- 1985: B.Sc. with Honours in Mech. Eng. (Coventry University, UK.).
- 1985: Completion of four year indentured apprenticeship (British Aerospace, UK.).
- 1984: Higher National Diploma, Mech. Eng. with distinction in Dynamics (Coventry University, UK).
- 1981: Technician Education Council Certificate in Mechanical and Production Engineering with merit in all subjects. (Dehavilland College, Welwyn Garden City, UK.).
- 1979: 6 G.C.E. "O" Levels in Physics, English, Mathematics, Technical Drawing, Art and Geography (Townsend C of E School, St.Albans, UK).
- 2011: Stephen Cole the Elder Award for Excellence in Teaching (The University of Adelaide).
- 2007: Carrick Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning (Australian Federal Government Award).
- 2007: Faculty of Engineering, Computing, Mathematics and Science Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- 2006: Engineers Australia AAEE Best Conference Presentation.
- 2006: Engineers Australia AAEE Excellence in Engineering Educator Award for Curriculum.
- 2003: Engineers Australia AAEE New Educator Award for Excellence.