Professor Lee was recently appointed Professor of Sustainable Chemistry at RMIT, having previously held a prestigious EPSRC Leadership Fellowship.
He has held Chair appointments at Cardiff, Warwick, Monash, and Aston universities and is one of the world's leading mid-career researchers in heterogeneous catalysis and green chemistry, targeting the rational design of nanoengineered materials for clean catalytic technologies, and the development of spectroscopic methods for molecular insight into surface reactions.
He was awarded the 2011 McBain Prize of the Society of Chemical Industry and 2012 Beilby Medal and Prize of the Royal Society of Chemistry, has published >210 peer-reviewed articles and graduated >30 PhD and MSc students.
Professor Lee pioneered the application of time-resolved XPS for surface reactions, and the in situ surface analysis facility will underpin ongoing mechanistic studies into transition metal catalysed biomass valorisation, and semiconductor photocatalysts for solar fuels production and environmental depollution.
Current research activities
- Rational design and application of nanostructured catalysts for sustainable chemical processes.
- Operando spectroscopies for heterogeneous catalysts
- Biomass valorisation for biofuels (including biodiesel) and bio-derived platform chemicals
- Aerobic selective oxidation of alcohols
- Photocatalytic production of solar fuels (CO2 conversion and H2 production) and environmental remediation
- Bimetallic nanoparticles and thin films
- Combinatorial materials synthesis and high-throughput analysis
- 2012 Beilby Medal and Prize of the Royal Society of Chemistry, IM3 and SCI.
- 2011 McBain Medal of the Society of Chemical Industry and Royal Society of Chemistry.
- EPSRC Leadership Fellowship (2009-15)
- 2004 Fonda-Fasella Elettra Prize of the Italian National Synchrotron (2004).
- 2000 British Vacuum Council C R Burch Prize.
- Single atom Cu(I) promoted mesoporous titanias for photocatalytic methyl orange depollution and H2 production. R. Trofimovaite, C.M.A. Parlett, S. Kumar, L. Frattini, M.A. Isaacs, K. Wilson, L. Olivi, B. Coulson, R.E. Douthwaite, A.F. Lee - Appl. Catal. B 2018, 232, 501, doi:10.1016/j.apcatb.2018.03.078
- Classical strong metal-support interactions between gold nanoparticles and titanium dioxide. H. Tang, Y. Su, B. Zhang, A.F. Lee, M.A. Isaacs, K. Wilson, Y. Ren, L. Li, J. Huang, M. Haruta, B. Qiao, X. Liu, C. Jin, D. Su, J. Wang*, T. Zhang - Science Adv. 2017, 3, e1700231, doi:10.1126/sciadv.1700231.
- PhD, University of Cambridge, 1995
- BA (Hons, 1st Class), University of Cambridge, 1992
- CChem FRSC
- Parlett, C.,Arandiyan, H.,Durndell, L.,Isaacs, M.,Lopez, A.,Wong, R.,Wilson, K.,Lee, A. (2022). Continuous-flow synthesis of mesoporous SBA-15 In: Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 329, 1 - 6
- Cao, L.,Li, W.,Devakumar, B.,Ma, N.,Huang, X.,Lee, A. (2022). Full-Spectrum White Light-Emitting Diodes Enabled by an Efficient Broadband Green-Emitting CaY2ZrScAl3O12:Ce3+Garnet Phosphor In: ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 14, 5643 - 5652
- Ma, N.,Li, W.,Devakumar, B.,Huang, X.,Lee, A. (2022). An energy transfer strategy for highly luminescent green-emitting Ce3+/Tb3+ codoped Ca2LaHf2Al3O12 garnet phosphors in white light-emitting diodes In: Materials Today Chemistry, 24, 1 - 10
- Mehla, S.,Esmaiel Zadeh Kandjani, A.,Babarao, R.,Lee, A.,Periasamy, S.,Wilson, K.,Ramakrishna, S.,Bhargava, S. (2021). Porous crystalline frameworks for thermocatalytic CO2reduction: An emerging paradigm In: Energy and Environmental Science, 14, 320 - 352
- Arumugam, M.,Goh, C.,Zainal, Z.,Triwahyono, S.,Lee, A.,Wilson, K.,Taufiq-Yap, Y. (2021). Hierarchical hzsm-5 for catalytic cracking of oleic acid to biofuels In: Nanomaterials, 11, 1 - 11
- Shan, L.,Yan, J.,Wang, Y.,Ke, X.,Cai, J.,Yu, S.,Lee, A.,Gu, X.,Zhang, X. (2021). Aqueous-Phase Cellulose Hydrolysis over Zeolite HY Nanocrystals Grafted on Anatase Titania Nanofibers In: Catalysis Letters, 151, 1467 - 1476
- Lu, X.,Yu, M.,Wang, D.,Lee, A. F., et al, . (2021). Flame-retardant effect of a functional DOPO-based compound on lignin-based epoxy resins In: Materials Today Chemistry, 22, 1 - 13
- Arandiyan, H.,Wang, Y.,Deshetti, J.,Wilson, K.,Lee, A. F., et al, . (2021). Impact of Surface Defects on LaNiO3 Perovskite Electrocatalysts for the Oxygen Evolution Reaction In: Chemistry - A European Journal, 27, 14418 - 14426
- Najari, S.,Saeidi, S.,Concepcion, P.,Dionysiou, D.,Bhargava, S.,Lee, A.,Wilson, K. (2021). Oxidative dehydrogenation of ethane: Catalytic and mechanistic aspects and future trends In: Chemical Society Reviews, 50, 4564 - 4605
- Ainembabazi, D.,Horlyck, J.,Dolan, D.,Finn, M.,Lee, A.,Wilson, K.,Adelina Voutchkova-Kostal, A. (2021). Multifunctional Catalysts for Direct Conversion of Alcohols to Long-Chain Hydrocarbons via Deoxygenative Olefination In: ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 9, 14657 - 14662
8 PhD Current Supervisions
- Revolutionary upcycling of landfill waste into hydrogen, fuels & materials. Funded by: CRC-P Cooperative Research Centre Project (Bioelektra) from (2021 to 2023)
- Multifunctional Platform for Chemical Manufacturing and Energy Materials. Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) Grant from (2021 to 2022)
- Nanoengineered catalysts for valorisation of waste derived pyrolysis oil (administered by UQld). Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grants 2019 from (2021 to 2023)
- Aus. Std. Diesel from mixed plastics: Maximising recovery from waste. Funded by: Cooperative Research Centre Project (CRC-P) - NOR from (2020 to 2023)
- Spatially orthogonal multifunctional materials for catalytic cascades. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2020 from (2020 to 2023)