Dr Giulia Leoni is a Senior Lecturer in RMIT's School of Accounting.
After holding academic positions as Assistant Professor at Cagliari University (Italy) and Adjunct Professor at Catholic University of Milan (Cremona, Italy), Dr Giulia Leoni joined the School of Accounting at RMIT University in January 2015.
Her research interests mainly focus on financial accounting and accountability in diverse settings, accounting history and risk management. She is an experienced qualitative and quantitative accounting researcher.
Dr Giulia Leoni obtained her Ph.D. in Accounting and Business Administration from the Business Administration Department in the University of Verona, Italy in 2012 with her final dissertation on the financial reporting quality of small and medium enterprises in Italy.
She is a member of CPA Australia, the Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand (AFAANZ), and the European Accounting Association (EAA). She is also member of the editorial board of the research journal Accounting History and a member of the Accounting History Italian Society (Societá Italiana di Storia della Ragioneria).
As a senior lecturer at RMIT in 2015, Dr Leoni is contributes to the development of the research activities in the School of Accounting in the role of School’s seminar convenor.
- Graduate certificate in Tertiary Teaching and Learning, RMIT University
- Doctor of Philosophy in Accounting and Business Administration, University of Verona, Italy.
- Certificate of Research Methodology, AIDEA (Associazione Italiana di Economia Aziendale), University of Venice, Italy.
- Master of Science in Accounting and Law, University of Verona, Italy.
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting and Business Administration, University of Verona, Italy.
- Financial Accounting and Accountability
- Accounting and Management History
- Accountability and Governance in sharing economy and social networks
- Corporate social responsibility
- Risk management
Current Research Projects
- Accountability in sharing economy
- The contribution of Italian accounting history research to international
- accounting history research
- Governing the sharing economy networks
- Risk Management and audit
- Financial Accountability and Reporting
- Financial Accounting Theory
- Financial Accounting and Business Evaluation
- Introductory Accounting
- Accounting for Management Decisions
- Corporate Governance and Business models
- Corporate Accounting
- Accountability and the Sharing Economy: the case of Airbnb”, Early Career Researcher Scheme, School of Accounting, RMIT University (principal investigator), 2016.
- ll contributo del sistema di prevenzione e gestione dei rischi alla generazione del valore d’impresa” (The contribution of the risk management system to enterprise value creation), Projects of high national relevance (PRIN), Ministry of University and Research of the Italian Government, 2011.
- Florio, C.,Leoni, G. (2017). Enterprise risk management and firm performance: The Italian case In: British Accounting Review, 49, 56 - 74
- Leoni, G. (2017). Social responsibility in practice: an Italian case from the early 20th century In: Journal of Management History, 23, 133 - 151
- Leoni, G.,Florio, C. (2015). A comparative history of earnings management literature from Italy and the US In: Accounting History, 20, 490 - 517
- Lai, A.,Leoni, G.,Stacchezzini, R. (2014). The socializing effects of accounting in flood recovery In: Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 25, 579 - 603
- Melis, A.,Gaia, S.,Leoni, G.,Aresu, S. (2014). Economic value added In: Il controllo di gestione [Management control], IPSOA, Milano, Italy
- Leoni, G. (2014). The impact of earnings quality and audit on the cost of debt of Italian SMEs In: Proceedings of the Fifth Financial Reporting Workshop 2014, Verona, Italy, 12-13 June 2014
- Florio, C.,Leoni, G. (2013). Prospettive di analisi e modelli di misurazione del Risk Management In: Il contributo del sistema di prevenzione e gestione dei rischi alla generazione del valore d'impresa [The contribution of the system of prevention and management of risks to the generation of enterprise value], Franco Angeli, Milan, Italy
- Florio, C.,Leoni, G. (2013). Risk Management e Performance aziendale: alcune evidenze empiriche [Risk Management and Corporate Performance : some empirical evidence] In: Il contributo del sistema di prevenzione e gestione dei rischi alla generazione del valore d'impresa [The contribution of the system of prevention and management of risks to the generation of enterprise value], Franco Angeli, Milan, Italy
- Florio, C.,Leoni, G. (2013). Earnings management research: Italian convergence towards US In: Proceedings of the Bicentenary Conference of the Italian Academy of Management (Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale) - (AIDEA 2013), Lecce, Italy, 19-21 September 2013
- Lai, A.,Leoni, G.,Stacchezzini, R. (2013). Accounting for natural disaster: involving flooded people into calculative practices In: Proceedings of the 7th Asia Pacific Interdisciplinary Research in Accounting Conference (APIRA KOBE 2013), Kobe, Japan, 26-28 July 2013
- A comparative analysis of how auditors have been impacted by the UK (Advanced Regulation) and Italian (EU Directive) Audit reforms. Funded by: Chartered Accountants� Trustees Grant 2018 onwards from (2018 to 2019)
- Exploring the Implementation and Informational Value of Reporting Key Audit Matters (KAMs) in Australian Audit Report.. Funded by: AFAANZ Research Grants 2018 from (2018 to 2019)
1 PhD Current Supervisions