Douglas Lewis is a native of Texas. Educated at Rice University and Brown University, he began long-term ethnographic and ethnological research on the peoples of Sikka on the island of Flores in eastern Indonesia in 1977. He has lectured on anthropology in universities in Australia and the United States.
His main interests are in Austronesian ethnology, kinship, alliance and social organisation, the anthropology of religion, the transition from oral to literate culture, and the evolution and neurobiology of consciousness, language and culture.
Douglas is the author of numerous essays and articles, mainly on the peoples of the Regency of Sikka on Flores. Among his books are People of the Source: The Social and Ceremonial Order of Tana Wai Brama on Flores (1988) and Hikayat Kerajaan Sikka [The Chronicles of the Rajadom of Sikka] (2008). He co-produced, with Timothy and Patsy Asch, A Celebration of Origins (1994), a film about ritual in the Tana 'Ai region of Sikka. His most recent book is The Stranger-Kings of Sikka (Leiden, KITLV Press, 2010).
- PhD (Anthropology), Australian National University
- MA (Anthropology), Brown University (USA)
- BA (Anthropology), Rice University (USA)
- Lewis, D. (2016). Authenticity and the Textiles of Sikka In: Punks, Monks and Politics, Rowman and Littlefield International, London, United Kingdom
- Lewis, D. (2016). An Ecology of Steps to a Mind In: Trajectories, Peter Lang Incorporated, International Academic Publishers, New York
- Lewis, D. (2016). Precedence and Hierarchy: Meditations on an Unanswered Ethnological Question In: Parts and Wholes: Essays on Social Morphology, Cosmology, and Exchange in Honour of J.D.M. Platenkamp, LIT Verlag, Berlin, Germany
- Lewis, D. (2015). Langkah-langkah menuju sebuah pemahaman tentang budaya" (Steps to an understanding of culture) In: Pemburu Yang Cekatan: Anjangsana Bersama Karya-Karya E. Douglas Lewis (The Deft Hunter: Essays in honour of the work of E. Douglas Lewis), Penerbit Ledalero, Indonesia
- Lewis, D. (2014). Parallelism and Chiasmus in ritual oration and ostension in Tana Wai Brama, eastern Indonesia In: Chiasmus and Culture, Berghahn Books, New York, United States
- Lee, J.,Lewis, D. (2013). Reading the Harvard Red Book: reflections on the roles of the university and the social sciences in contemporary Malaysia In: Pacific-Asian Education, 25, 17 - 26
- Lewis, D. (2013). The translation of the said the unsaid in Sikkanese ritual texts In: Astonishment and Evocation: The Spell of Culture in Art and Anthropology, Berghahn Books, New York, USA
- Lewis, D. (2013). Land earth sun moon and the father of generations: An historiography of words for God in Sara Sikka In: Bijdragen tot de Taal-, Land- en Volkenkunde, 169, 295 - 325
- Lewis, D.,Kondi, D.,Mandalangi, O. (2010). The stranger-kings of Sikka, KITLV Press, Leiden, Netherlands