Jeff Lewis is co-director of the Human Security and Disasters Research Program in RMIT's Global Cities Research Institute. He is a former Fellow of the Centre for Civil Society, London School of Economics.
Jeff Lewis has published over forty book chapters, reviews and articles. He has also published numerous stories and articles for magazines and newspapers.
Media and political violence; cultural theory; globalisation and media; the cultural politics of social media; cultural interface; media and democracy; Indonesian media and culture; the cultural politics of nature, disasters and sustainability.
PhD (RMIT), Thesis topic: 'The blind puppeteer: the communications relationship between Australia and Indonesia.'
MA, BA (Hons), Grad. Dip. Ed.
- Pond, P.,Lewis, J. (2018). In Press - Riots and twitter: connective politics, social media and framing discourses in the digital public sphere In: Information, Communication and Society, , 1 - 19
- Lewis, J.,Lewis, B. (2017). The cultural politics of mining and natural disaster in Indonesia: by fire and sword In: Disasters, 41, 23 - 40
- Lewis, J.,Lewis, B. (2017). Rock art and mining violence on the Australian Burrup Peninsula: language wars, economy and culture In: Perspectives in Ecology and Conservation, 15, 179 - 186
- Lewis, J.,Lewis, B.,Cameron, R.,Pond, P.,Ghumkhor, S.,Mohamud, H. (2017). Mediating Extremist Violence: A Report on the Role of Media, Far-Right Politics and Gender in Extremist Violence and Social Cohesion in Victoria In: Community Resilience Unit of the Department of Premier and Cabinet Melbourne, Australia
- Lewis, J. (2016). Media, culture and human violence: From savage lovers to violent complexity, Rowman and Littlefield International, London, UK
- Lewis, B.,Lewis, J. (2015). Health communication: a media and cultural studies approach, Palgrave Macmillan, London, United Kingdom
- Lewis, J.,Lewis, B.,Putra, D. (2013). The Bali bombings monument: Ceremonial cosmopolis In: Journal of Asian Studies, 72, 21 - 43
- Pond, P.,Russo, A.,Lewis, J. (2013). Towards a conceptual framework for an empirical study of political conversations on Twitter In: Proceedings of the Emerging Issues in Communication Research and Policy Conference 2013, Canberra, Australia, 18-19 November 2013
- Lewis, J. (2013). Global Media Apocalypse: Pleasure, Violence and Cultural Imaginings of Doom, Palgrave Macmillan, New York, NY, United States
- Lewis, J.,Lewis, B. (2012). British cultural studies: Culturalism and beyond In: Being Cultural, Pearson, Auckland, New Zealand
- Extremist masculine violence as a threat to social cohesion in Victoria. Funded by: Department of Premier and Cabinet: Social Cohesion Research Grant Round 1 2016 from (2016 to 2017)
- After the Apocalypse: The Mediasphere, Global Crisis and Violent Ecologies. Funded by: ARC Discovery 2012 from (2012 to 2018)
1 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions10 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions