Peter Ling worked in journalism, public relations, retail advertising, advertising agency management, marketing communications consultancy, and team creativity consulting before entering academia in 2004.
Peter is author of ‘Be the Innovators: How to accelerate team creativity’ and lead author of ‘Consumer Behaviour in Action’, both published by Oxford University Press.
Peter's doctorate was on team creativity and he has extended his interest in team dynamics through his research on learning through student competitions. His active scholarship is in writing on consumer behavior, marketing communications and creativity for publishers in the Asia-Pacific region.
At Edith Cowan University, he was line manager of advertising, broadcasting, journalism, mass communication, media and cultural studies, public relations, scriptwriting, and offshore courses. He also taught Creative Thinking, Consumer Behavior, and Integrated Marketing Communications, with a team emerging as the Asia-Pacific Winner in the 2010 Google Online Marketing Challenge. He has delivered numerous workshops on Creative Thinking in Australia, Singapore, Taiwan, and USA.
Peter joined RMIT University in April 2011 as Associate Dean of the Advertising, Design and Photography cluster. He then became Deputy Dean (Communication) overseeing program managers in Advertising, Communication, Creative Writing, Editing & Publishing, Professional Communication and Public Relations. He is now Deputy Dean International focusing on academic partnerships and international pathways.
- TV advertising in Indonesia and children’s behavior
- Singaporean identity
- Culture-based promotion in China
- Animals in Canadian advertising
- Sex appeals in Indonesian magazine advertising
- Fear appeal in Australian drug prevention campaigns
- Fear appeals and active smokers in Australia
- Web advertising in Hangzhou, China
- Growth strategies of Malaysian bicycle company
- Fashion brand preferences of Perth students
- Sportswear brand preferences of Chinese students
- Building the KFC brand in China
- Islamic branding in Malaysia
- Doctor of Education, University of Western Australia
- Master of Education, George Washington University
- Graduate Diploma in Advertising (Honours), CAM UK
- Diploma in Marketing, Institute of Marketing UK
- Diploma in Advertising, Advertising Institute of Australia
- Diploma in Industrial Editing, British Association of Industrial Editors
- Certificate in Public Relations, Institute of Public Relations UK
- American Creativity Association
- Association of Accredited Advertising Agents Singapore (Honorary Member)
- Creative Education Foundation, USA
- Asia-Pacific Creative Skills Training Council
- Marketing Educators Association
- Public Relations Society of America
- Public Relations Institute of Australia
- The Australian and New Zealand Academy of Advertising
- The Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy
- Early Career Awards Committee, Western Australia
- Lead On Australia Adult Advisory Committee
- Campaign Brief Magazine Effectiveness Awards Judging Panel
- President, Association of Accredited Advertising Agents Singapore
- Governor, Institute of Advertising Singapore
- Member, Economic Development Board Singapore, Creative Services Committee
- Asian Representative, International Advertising Association Accreditation
- 2014: RMIT University Program Development Fund Award
- 2012: Best Paper in the Business in Asia Track, Australian & New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC) Conference, Adelaide
- 2011: Chair, Winning in the Google Online Marketing Challenge, American Academy of Advertising Asia-Pacific Conference, Brisbane
- 2011: Co-Chair, Consumer Behaviour Track, Australian & New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC) Conference, Perth
- 2012: Two teams supervised by Peter emerged as Top 15, Asia-Pacific Region, in the Google Online Marketing Challenge.
- 2010: Peter’s marketing communications team became Asia Pacific Regional Winners in the 2010 Google Online Marketing Challenge
- 2009: Vice Chancellor’s Award for Engagement in Learning and Teaching
- 2009: Assessor in the national teaching awards of the Australian Learning & Teaching Council
- 2008: Vice Chancellor’s Citation Award for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning: For creativity and professionalism in course leadership, student learning, and industry engagement.
- 2006: Vice Chancellor Award for Excellence in Teaching, Edith Cowan University.
- 2006: Recipient of Fogarty Prize for the Best Piece of Research in the Doctor of Education.
- 1995: 7 Habits of Highly Effective Leaders, Covey 'Golden Goose' Award (voted by participants as reflecting qualities of an effective leader)
- 1992: 4As Award for leadership in the Singapore advertising industry.
- 1990: Max Lewis Silver Award, an advertising industry award in Singapore
- Ling, P. (2017). Advertising in Singapore: regional hub, global model In: Global Advertising Practice in a Borderless World, Routledge, Abingdon, United Kingdom
- Ling, P. (2016). Be the Innovators, Oxford University Press, Melbourne, Australia
- Ling, P. (2014). Assessing consumer behaviour students in Australian universities In: Proceedings of the 2014 Global Marketing Conference, Singapore, 15-18 July 2014
- Quek, G.,Ling, P. (2013). McDonald's apology over a pig toy: A cultural territorial clash In: Australasian Marketing Journal, 21, 228 - 233
- Quek, G.,Ling, P. (2013). Artvertisement as orderly creativity symbolism in Singapore's outdoor advertising In: Proceedings of Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference (ANZMAC 2013), Adelaide, Australia, 1-4 December 2013
- Quek, G.,Ling, P. (2013). Nudity and national-personal identity in Singapore's outdoor advertising In: Proceedings of Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference 2013, Auckland, New Zealand, 1 - 4 December, 2013
- Quek, G.,Ling, P. (2012). Learning creative thinking skills through nurtured progressive self-discovery In: Proceedings of the ANZMAC Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference 2012, Adelaide, South Australia, 3-5 December, 2012
- Ling, P. (2011). What students really think of clients In: Proceedings of the ANZMAC Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference 2012, Perth, Western Australia, 28-30 November, 2011
- Ling, P. (2010). Short three-line advertisements reveal lots of online marketing learning In: Proceedings of the ANZMAC 2010, Christchurch, New Zealand, 29 Nov -1 Dec 2010
- Ling, P. (2010). Students write short advertisements to convey benefits of Google online marketing challenge In: eCulture, 3, 55 - 64