Ramon is Senior Research Fellow in the School of Media and Communication.
Ramon is a media industries scholar with a special interest in screen distribution. He is the author or editor of four books, and the recipient of two Australian Research Council Fellowships (APD, DECRA).
Working across media industry studies, cultural studies and political economy, Ramon is interested in developing new ways to understand screen markets, including non-legal and informal markets. He has written widely on intellectual property and piracy, and their relation to film culture.
His first monograph, Shadow Economies of Cinema (British Film Institute, 2012), examined the structural role of pirate and grey networks in global film culture. His second book, The Informal Media Economy (Polity, 2015, with Julian Thomas), developed an original approach to media industry analysis, using theories of informality to understand how media markets evolve.
Ramon has published more than 30 book chapters and articles on topics related to this broad theme, focusing on technologies ranging from cloud storage to YouTube. His work has appeared in leading journals including International Journal of Communication, International Journal of Cultural Studies and Television and New Media. He also contributed to the 2013 UNESCO Creative Economy report.
Ramon's current DECRA project is about the geography of video streaming. With an international team of collaborators, he recently published the open-access edited collection Geoblocking and Global Video Culture (2016), a comparative study of streaming and circumvention practices. He is presently working on a book about Netflix.
Ramon also conducts research on music industry issues. As part of an ARC Linkage project, he is working with colleagues at QUT to study the relationship between new digital data and music industry practices.
- Udine Film Forum - Best International Film Studies book prize (2013)
- Faculty ECR Award for Research Excellence, Swinburne University (2014)
- Dean's Award for Outstanding Research, Swinburne University (2015)
- International Communication Association Popular Communication Division – Outstanding Young Scholar award (2016)
- ARC DECRA Fellowship, "Geoblocking, circumvention and the organisation of digital media markets" (2015-2017)
- ARC Discovery Project and APD Fellowship, "Informal Economies and Audiovisual Industries" (2011-2014, with Thomas, Cunningham, Hunter)
- ARC Linkage Project, "Music Usage Metrics and the Future of the Australian Music Industry" (2016-2018, with Wikstrom et al)
- BA Hons, University of Melbourne, 2006
- PhD (Cultural Studies), University of Melbourne, 2010
- Grad Cert in Learning and Teaching, Swinburne University of Technology, 2013
Ramon joined RMIT in 2017 after seven years at the Institute for Social Research at Swinburne University. During his time he worked on a range of projects in the area of media, technology and policy. He also taught into Swinburne's Cinema and Screen studies programme, coordinating the units Cinema Studies and Global Screen Studies.
While at Swinburne, Ramon developed an interdisciplinary seminar programme in research methods for postgraduate students in the School of Arts, Social Science and Humanities. He maintains an interest in (and an occasionally updated webpage about) postgrad research training.
In a previous life, Ramon worked as a music journalist, an editor, and in digital content creation.
- Lobato, R.,Meese, J. (2016). Australia: Circumvention goes mainstream In: Geoblocking and Global Video Culture, Institute of Network Cultures, Amsterdam
- Lobato, R. (2016). Introduction: The new video Geography In: Geoblocking and Global Video Culture, Institute of Network Cultures, Amsterdam
- Dwyer, T.,Lobato, R. (2016). Informal translation, post-cinema and global media flows In: The State of Post-Cinema: Tracing the Moving Image in the Age of Digital Dissemination, Palgrave, United Kingdom
- Lobato, R. (2016). The cultural logic of digital intermediaries: YouTube multichannel networks (MCNs) In: Convergence, 22, 348 - 360
- Moilanen, J.,Daly, A.,Lobato, R.,Allen, D. (2015). Cultures of sharing in 3D printing: What can we learn from the licence choices of Thingiverse users? In: Journal of Peer Production, , 1 - 11
- Lobato, R.,Thomas, J. (2015). The informal media economy, Polity Press, United Kingdom
- Lobato, R. (2014). The paradoxes of piracy In: Postcolonial Piracy: Media Distribution and Cultural Production in the Global South, Bloomsbury, United Kingdom
- Lobato, R.,Tang, L. (2014). The cyberlocker gold rush: tracking the rise of file-hosting sites as media distribution platforms In: International Journal of Cultural Studies, 17, 423 - 435
- Lobato, R.,Fletcher, L. (2013). Prestige and professionalisation at the margins of the journalistic field: the case of music writers In: Amateur Media, Routledge, United Kingdom
- Fletcher, L.,Lobato, R. (2013). Living and labouring as a music writer In: Cultural Studies Review, 19, 155 - 176