David McDowell is a lecturer in the Bachelor of Arts (Animation and Interactive Media) program at RMIT.
In addition to teaching David also does creative research in visual art.
View documentation of McDowell video and photomedia work on the Bad Sign website (opens in new window).
Research and scholarship
McDowell’s current research investigates how an active awareness of one’s visual experience comes into play when one is viewing visual prospects that are unclear or ambiguous.
The creative component of research focuses on two-dimensional, representational artworks, the representational content of which is interfered with, and so made open and irresolute to some degree, by their visual composure and rendition.
The theoretical component of McDowell’s research is a phenomenological examination of experience imagery that is unclear, ambiguous and even irresolute. As the setting for this examination, he explores implications drawn within the humanities regarding information the neurosciences have provided about the brain’s functioning, in particular, its visual system.
In 2013 McDowell successfully completed a PhD at the University of Melbourne for a thesis that combined visual artworks with an exposition dealing with the aesthetics of perceptual experience.
- BFA(Hons), Tas
- MFA, Tas
- PhD, Melb
- McDowell, D. (2015). Cinematic stilling: before and beyond the slowness of slow cinema In: Altitude: A Journal of Emerging Humanities Work, 13, -
- McDowell, D. (2013). Lunar See (solo exhibition) In: Lunar See Melbourne, Australia
- McDowell, D. (2012). Another light: Painting's phenomenal opticality In: The International Journal of the Image, 2, 205 - 218
- McDowell, D. (2011). Image irresolution: Between perception and percept In: The International Journal of the Image, 1, 87 - 98
- McDowell, D. (2010). The Ambassadors; bad op In: Hypnopopia Melbourne, Australia
- McDowell, D.,Somaya, L. (2009). light's house In: Directors Lounge 2009 Berlin
- McDowell, D. (2009). seescape In: The Lake Sydney
- McDowell, D. (2009). Grid 1 In: Thesis Sydney
- McDowell, D. (2008). Telepathies In: Melbourne, Australia
- McDowell, D.,Langley, S. (2008). Submarine In: Telepath Newcastle, Australia