Dr McGrath ’s research addresses fundamental questions concerning the modulation and control of power electronic conversion systems. He has made a significant contribution to the understanding of multilevel converters, including the fundamental modulation principles and dynamic control problems such as natural balancing mechanisms. Particular research interests include:
- Modulation theory for power electronic systems.
- Advanced converter topologies, such as multilevel and current-fed converters.
- High performance closed loop control and dynamic modelling of power electronic systems.
- Power electronic applications, including motor drives, DC-DC converters for battery chargers and grid connected inverters.
- Senior lecturer in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Program director:
- Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) – BH075
- Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) / Bachelor of Business (Management) – BH081
- Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) / Bachelor of Commerce – BH083
- PhD Monash 2003
- BE(Hons) Monash 1997
- BSc Monash 1997
- GCertHighEd Monash 2010
- Recipient of the Douglas Lampard research medal from Monash University, 2004.
- Member of the IEEE and the following societies within this body:
- Industry Applications Society (IAS)
- Power Electronics Society (PELS)
- Industrial Electronics Society (IES)
- Associate editor for the IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications
- Associate editor for the IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics
- May 2010 – present, Senior lecturer : School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University
- 2010, Senior lecturer : Dept. of Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering, Monash University
- 2007 – 2010, Lecturer : Dept. of Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering, Monash University
- 2005 – 2007, Lecturer : School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, The University of Newcastle.
- du Toit Mouton, H.,Cox, S.,McGrath, B.,Risbo, L.,Putzeys, B. (2018). Small-signal analysis of naturally-sampled single-edge PWM control loops In: IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 33, 51 - 64
- Sun, Y.,Teixeira, C.,Holmes, G.,McGrath, B.,Zhao, J. (2018). Low-order circulating current suppression of PWM-based modular multilevel converters using DC-link voltage compensation In: IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 33, 210 - 225
- Rodriguez Guerra, J.,Holmes, G.,McGrath, B.,Wilkinson, R. (2018). A self-triggered pulsed-mode flyback converter for electric field energy harvesting In: IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, 6, 377 - 386
- Patel, R.,Li, c.,Yu, X.,McGrath, B. (2018). (In Press) Optimal automatic generation control of an interconnected power system under network constraints In: IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, , 1 - 9
- Meegahapola, L.,Ullah Nutkani, I.,McGrath, B.,Holmes, D. (2017). Fault ride-through capability of hybrid AC/DC microgrids during AC and DC network faults In: 2017 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), Cincinnati, United States, 1-5 October 2017
- McGrath, B.,Holmes, G. (2017). Anti-windup control for stationary frame current regulators using digital conditioning architectures In: 2017 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), Cincinnati, United States, 1-5 October 2017
- Patel, R.,Li, C.,Wang, L.,McGrath, B.,Yu, X. (2017). Frequency regulation using optimal demand and governor response in a deregulated environment In: Proceedings of the 43rd Annual Conference o the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON 2017), Beijing, China, 29 October - 1 November 2017
- Nazib, A.,Holmes, G.,McGrath, B. (2017). High bandwidth sensorless synchronisation strategies for current regulated grid connected converters In: 2017 Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference (AUPEC), Melbourne, Australia, 19-22 November 2017
- Ganeshan, A.,Holmes, G.,Meegahapola, L.,McGrath, B. (2017). Enhanced control of a hydrogen energy storage system in a microgrid In: Proceedings of the Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference (AUPEC 2017), Melbourne, Australia, 19-22 November 2017
- McNabb, L.,Wang, L.,McGrath, B. (2017). Intrinsically stable realization of a resonant current regulator for a single phase inverter In: Proceedings of the 11th Asian Control Conference (ASCC 2017), Gold Coast, Australia, 17-20 December 2017
- Advanced inverter control for distributed energy systems. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2018 from (2018 to 2020)
- Regulation of the Cell Bus Voltages of Large Scale Modular Multilevel Converters: Advanced Energy Converters for Future Electricity Grids. Funded by: ARC Discovery Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2017)
- Practice-based Systematized Nomenclature (SNOMED) concept learning for drug-disease precaution early detection and refinement. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grant 2010 Round 2 from (2011 to 2015)
5 PhD Current Supervisions9 PhD Completions