Ian McShane is a Senior Research Fellow at RMIT University's Centre for Urban Research. His research focuses on informal and formal education systems (especially museums, libraries and schools), local infrastructure and community services, and digital technologies.
Ian researches in the areas of urban policy, local governance and local community infrastructure, cultural policy and cultural heritage institutions, and education policy and practice.
Current research projects
Ian's research is looking at shared use community infrastructure and service co-ordination, the development of publicly accessible wireless networks in Australia and internationally, and the representational politics of cultural diversity in Australian museums. Ian has had a long involvement with the Australian museum sector, working as a senior curator at the National Museum of Australia and consulting to other levels of government on museums and culture. In 2013 Ian was appointed to UNESCO’s Creative Cities Network external evaluation panel.
Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, Office for the Arts, Registered Expert Examiner, Protection of Movable Cultural Heritage Act 1986.
Current funded projects
'Opportunity Spaces – Community Engagement in the Planning, Use and Governance of Shared School Facilities' (with Prof Denise Meredyth, RMIT University and Assoc Prof Jerry Watkins, University of Western Sydney) ARC Linkage Project LP110200550 in association with the Victorian Dept of Education and Early Childhood Development
'Collecting Institutions, Cultural Diversity and the Making of Australian Citizenship in Australia since the 1970s' (with Assoc Prof Andrea Witcomb, Deakin University and Assoc Prof Kylie Message, Australian National University) ARC Discovery Project DP120100594
'Municipal Broadband' (with Professor Denise Meredyth, RMIT University), funding support from ARC Key Centre for Creative Industries and Innovation
- Association for Internet Researchers
- Australian Association for Research in Education
- Australian Historical Association
- International Communications Association
- Museums Australia
- PhD (Swinburne)
- MEd (Canberra)
- BA(Hons) (Tasmania)
- McShane, I.,Wilson, C. (2018). Public wi-fi in Australian cities: are there lessons for 'smart city' government? In: State of Australian Cities National Conference 2017, Adelaide, 28 - 30 November 2017
- McShane, I.,Wilson, C. (2017). Beyond the School Fence: Rethinking Urban Schools in the Twenty-first Century In: Urban Policy and Research, 35, 472 - 485
- Keam, G.,Cook, K.,Sinclair, S.,McShane, I. (2017). A qualitative study of the role of playgroups in building community capacity In: Health Promotion Journal of Australia, 29, 65 - 71
- McShane, I. (2016). 'Educare' in Australia: analysing policy mobility and transformation In: Educational Research, 58, 179 - 194
- Sharam, A.,McShane, I.,Bryant, L.,De Silva, A. (2016). Are not-for-profit organisations a source of land for affordable housing? An Exploratory Study In: Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Pacific-Rim Real Estate Society Conference 2016, Sunshine Coast, Australia, 17-20 January 2016
- McShane, I.,Cook, K.,Sinclair, S.,Keam, G.,Fry, J. (2016). Relationships matter: The social and economic benefits of community playgroups In: Playgroup Australia Melbourne, Australia
- Grechyn, V.,McShane, I. (2016). What influences international differences in broadband prices? In: Australian Journal of Telecommunications and the Digital Economy, 4, 1 - 12
- McShane, I.,Gregory, M.,Wilson, C. (2016). Practicing Safe Public Wi-Fi: Assessing and Managing Data-Security Risks In: AUDA Foundation Melbourne, Australia
- McShane, I. (2016). The resistible rise of the Ultranet In: Australian Association for Research in Education Conference 2016, Melbourne, Australia, 27 November - 1 December 2016
- McShane, I.,Dearman, P. (2016). The resistable rise of the ultranet In: Proceedings of the Australian Association for Research in Education Conference (AARE 2016), Melbourne, Australia, 27 November - 1 December 2016
- Representing multicultural Australia in national and state libraries. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grants 2018 from (2018 to 2020)
- Demudig (Democratic Urban Development in the Digital Age) (Administered by Oslo Metropolitan University). Funded by: Research Council of Norway - Grant from (2018 to 2021)
- Australia-Korea collaborative forums for Smart Green cities. Funded by: Australia Korea Foundation 2016 from (2016 to 2017)
- Linked Data PolicyHub Stage II: Urban & Regional Planning & Communications (Administered by Swinburne University of Technology). Funded by: ARC LIEF via other University from (2016 to 2017)
- Public Wi-Fi as Urban Infrastructure - the Australian Case. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2015 from (2015 to 2018)
2 PhD Current Supervisions