Dr Mohajerani is a civil engineer, specialising in geotechnical engineering and pavements. He currently teaches geotechnical engineering courses as well as supervising postgraduate studies and final year research projects. Some of the courses he has taught include: soil mechanics, rock mechanics, geotechnical engineering, pavements, building materials, construction, and statics. He has supervised several PhD and Masters students.
In 2005 Dr Mohajerani began to direct some of his research energy into a new area - the problem of cigarette butt (CB) pollution. In early 2006, he carried out some feasibility studies on recycling CBs in fired clay bricks and pavement materials. In that year, he applied for an ARC funding grant for recycling CBs in fired clay bricks. In 2007, he accepted a PhD student for working on recycling CBs in bricks; this study was successfully completed in 2010. In 2011 and 2012, he supervised several Investigation Projects on recycling CBs in different construction materials. Currently this work is continuing in research projects at the civil engineering laboratories in RMIT University.
Current areas of research
- Recycling cigarette butts in construction and road materials
- Resilient behaviour and permanent deformation of road materials
- Recycled materials,
- Asphalt concrete
- Early-age strength measurement of shotcrete
- Consolidation and liquefaction of tailings
- Screw piles
- Lightweight dynamic cone penetrometer
- Foundations and retaining walls
- 2001 - present: Senior Lecturer, School of Civil, Environmental and Chemical Engineering, RMIT University
- 1998 - 2001: Lecturer, School of Civil, Environmental and Chemical Engineering, RMIT University
- 1993 - 1998: Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, La Trobe University
- 1992 - 1993: Lecturer, Department of Civil and Geological Engineering, RMIT
- 1989 - 1991: Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, Isfahan University of Technology; Senior Consulting Geotechnical Engineer
- 1986 - 1989: Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, Central Queensland University
Construction engineering of pavements; Geotechnical engineering; Civil engineering
- B.S. in Civil Engineering (five year program), Shiraz University, Iran
- M.S. in Civil Engineering, North Carolina State University
- Ph.D. in Geomechanics, University of Western Australia.
- Course in Slope Stability Analysis, University of California, Davis.
- Courses in Highway Materials, Advanced Soil Mechanics, Foundation Engineering, Earth Structures and Structural Dynamics - Oregon State University.
- Courses in Mine Fill Technology, Rock Mechanics, Rock Slope Stability, Rock Mechanics Measurements - University of New South Wales.
- Member, Engineers Australia
- Member, Australian Geomechanics Society
- Member, Concrete Institute of Australia
- Munro, M.,Mohajerani, A. (2018). (In Press) Slope stability evaluation of iron ore fines during marine transport in bulk carriers In: Canadian Geotechnical Journal, , 1 - 21
- Mohajerani, A.,Bakaric, J.,Jeffrey-Bailey, T. (2017). The urban heat island effect, its causes, and mitigation, with reference to the thermal properties of asphalt concrete In: Journal of Environmental Management, 197, 522 - 538
- Ukwatta Pitiye, A.,Mohajerani, A. (2017). Leachate analysis of green and fired-clay bricks incorporated with biosolids In: Waste Management, 66, 134 - 144
- Munro, M.,Mohajerani, A. (2017). Bulk cargo liquefaction incidents during marine transportation and possible causes In: Ocean Engineering, 141, 125 - 142
- Mohajerani, A.,Tanriverdi, Y.,Nguyen, B.,Wong, K.,Dissanayake, H.,Johnson, L.,Whitfield, D.,Thomson, G.,Alqattan, E.,Rezaei, A. (2017). Physico-mechanical properties of asphalt concrete incorporated with encapsulated cigarette butts In: Construction and Building Materials, 153, 69 - 80
- Mohajerani, A.,Lound, S.,Liassos, G.,Kurmus, H.,Ukwatta, A.,Nazari, M. (2017). Physical, mechanical and chemical properties of biosolids and raw brown coal fly ash, and their combination for road structural fill applications In: Journal of Cleaner Production, 166, 1 - 11
- Mohajerani, A.,Vajna, J.,Cheung, T.,Kurmus, H.,Arulrajah, A.,Horpibulsuk, S. (2017). Practical recycling applications of crushed waste glass in construction materials: A review In: Construction and Building Materials, 156, 443 - 467
- Mohajerani, A.,Ashdown, M.,Abdihashi, L.,Nazem, M. (2017). Expanded polystyrene geofoam in pavement construction In: Construction and Building Materials, 157, 438 - 448
- Mohajerani, A.,Nguyen, B.,Tanriverdi, Y.,Chandrawanka, K. (2017). A new practical method for determining the LA abrasion value for aggregates In: Soils and Foundations, 57, 840 - 848
- Mohajerani, A.,Zeorob, M.,Jha, S.,Rodrigues, D.,Smith, J.,Nguyen, B.,Wong, K. (2017). Two possible new techniques for determining the early-age shear strength of shotcrete: auger penetrometer and vane shear tester In: Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 30, 1 - 10
- Use of biosolids in enhanced fired clay bricks. Funded by: Melbourne Water Corporation - competitive from (2013 to 2016)
3 PhD Current Supervisions5 PhD Completions