Distinguished Professor Adrian Mouritz is the Dean of Engineering. He provides academic, research, professional, industry and community engagement leadership.
Distinguished Professor Adrian Mouritz has been the Dean of Engineering and the Head of the School of Engineering since its foundation in 2016. Prior to that, he held numerous academic leadership roles at RMIT including the Discipline Director for Aerospace and Aviation.
Dr Mouritz is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering (FTSE), Fellow of Engineers Australia (FIEAust) and Certified Practising Engineer (CPEng). He is also a World and Life Fellow of the International Committee of Composite Materials.
Dr Mouritz performs fundamental and applied research into fibre reinforced polymer composites covering a wide range of topics. He has published 3 books, 4 edited books, more than 20 book chapters, over 250 journal papers and 3 patents. He has received over $20 million of research income and has supervised more than 30 MEng and PhD students to completion. Dr Mouritz undertakes research with a large number of companies and agencies, which includes Boeing, Ford, Department of Defence and United States Office of Naval Research. He is also the Editor of Composites Part C and Composites Communications, and an editorial board member of numerous journals.
Dr Mouritz has received many awards for his research and other work, including:
- The Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining (UK) Award for Composites 2004.
- The Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining (UK) Award for Composites 2008.
- American Institute of Aeronautics & Astronautics, Survey Paper Citation for Journal of Aircraft, 2009.
- RMIT Prize for Research Excellence – Leadership, 2015
- World and Life Fellow, International Committee on Composite Materials, 2019
- RMIT Award for Impact and Collaboration, 2020
- BappSc (RMIT)
- MEng (RMIT)
- MSc (Melbourne)
- PhD (Cambridge)
- ScD (Cambrdge)
- Fellow of Engineers Australia
Accomplishments and achievements
Distinguished Professor Mouritz has received numerous awards and recognition for his research into composite materials. The Distinguished Professor was co-awarded the Prize for Composites by the Institution of Materials, Minerals and Mining (United Kingdom) in 2004 and again in 2008. The prize is awarded for excellence in published research in the field of composite materials, and is one of the most prestigious awards for composites-related research.
He was invited to the position of Visiting Professor in Composite Materials Engineering at The University of Newcastle (England) in 2007, and will hold the position until at least 2013.
- Ozyurt, D.,Shafqat, S.,Pakkanen, T.,Hocking, R.,Mouritz, A.,Fox, B. (2021). Aggregation induced emission transformation of liquid and solid-state N-doped graphene quantum dots In: Carbon, 175, 576 - 584
- Naeem, M.,Kuan, H.,Michelmore, A.,Yu, S.,Mouritz, A.,Chelliah, S.,Ma, J. (2021). Epoxy/graphene nanocomposites prepared by in-situ microwaving In: Carbon, 177, 271 - 281
- Pattarakunnan, K.,Galos, J.,Das, R.,Mouritz, A. (2021). Impact damage tolerance of energy storage composite structures containing lithium-ion polymer batteries In: Composite Structures, 267, 1 - 11
- Galos, J.,Pattarakunnan, K.,Best, A.,Kyratzis, I.,Wang, C.,Mouritz, A. (2021). (In Press) Energy Storage Structural Composites with Integrated Lithium-Ion Batteries: A Review In: Advanced Materials Technologies, , 1 - 19
- Hu, Y.,Ladani, R.,Brandt, M.,Li, Y.,Mouritz, A. (2021). Carbon fibre damage during 3D printing of polymer matrix laminates using the FDM process In: Materials and Design, 205, 1 - 10
- Nguyen, K.,Kim, N.,Bhattacharyya, D.,Mouritz, A. (2021). (In Press) Assessing the combustibility of claddings: A comparative study of the modified cone calorimeter method and cylindrical furnace test In: Fire and Materials, , 1 - 13
- Han, S.,Meng, Q.,Xing, K.,Araby, S.,Yu, Y.,Mouritz, A.,Ma, J. (2020). Epoxy/graphene film for lifecycle self-sensing and multifunctional applications In: Composites Science and Technology, 198, 1 - 10
- Gargano, A.,Donough, M.,Das, R.,Mouritz, A. (2020). Damage to fibre-polymer laminates caused by surface contact explosive charges In: Composites Part B: Engineering, 197, 1 - 13
- Chan, K.,Pham, D.,Demir, B.,Mouritz, A., et al, . (2020). Graphene oxide thin film structural dielectric capacitors for aviation static electricity harvesting and storage In: Composites Part B: Engineering, 201, 1 - 8
- Ravindran, A.,Ladani, R.,Wang, C.,Mouritz, A. (2020). Strengthening of composite T-joints using 1D and 2D carbon nanoparticles In: Composite Structures, 255, 1 - 12
- Automated Integrity Assessment of Self-Piercing Rivet Joints: i4.0 Approach. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grants 2019 from (2020 to 2023)
- Explosive Blast Response of Naval Composites in Arctic Conditions. Funded by: United States Office of Naval Research Grant 2016 onwards from (2020 to 2023)
- A Novel Approach to Polymer/Nanosheet Composites and Their Fundamentals ( Administered by University of South Australia) . Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects via other university 2020 from (2020 to 2023)
- Application for support of the 22nd International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM22) (19IOA028) (AOARD). Funded by: AOARD Competitive Grant 2018 from (2019 to 2020)
- National Laser-Based Non-Destructive Evaluation System (administered by UNSW). Funded by: ARC LIEF Grant via other uni 2018 from (2018 to 2019)
13 PhD Current Supervisions29 PhD Completions and 6 Masters by Research Completions