Distinguished Professor Adrian Mouritz is the Executive Dean of the School of Engineering. He undertakes research into fibre reinforced polymer composites and other light-weight structural materials.
Adrian performs research into fibre reinforced polymer composites and other engineering materials used in aircraft. Distinguished Professor Mouritz has performed research which has led to significant discoveries on various topics associated with composite materials, including their mechanical, fracture and fatigue properties; impact and explosive blast properties; fire structural properties; non-destructive inspection and smart health monitoring; and damage tolerance using through-thickness reinforcement (orthogonal weaving, stitching, pinning).
He has published nearly 200 research articles on composites; which include 3 books, 3 edited books, 15 book chapters, and over 120 journal papers.
Distinguished Professor Mouritz has received over $5 million in research funds over the past 10 years from various sources, including the Australian Research Council, United States Office of Naval Research and the Composites CRC.
Adrian teaches into the following courses: AERO2289: Design and Manufacture of Composites, AERO2364: Contemporary Issues in Aerospace Engineering and AERO2456: Aviation Sustainability and the Environment.
- BappSc (RMIT)
- MEng (RMIT)
- MSc (Melbourne)
- PhD (Cambridge)
- ScD (Cambrdge)
- Fellow of Engineers Australia
Accomplishments and achievements
Distinguished Professor Mouritz has received numerous awards and recognition for his research into composite materials. The Distinguished Professor was co-awarded the Prize for Composites by the Institution of Materials, Minerals and Mining (United Kingdom) in 2004 and again in 2008. The prize is awarded for excellence in published research in the field of composite materials, and is one of the most prestigious awards for composites-related research.
He was invited to the position of Visiting Professor in Composite Materials Engineering at The University of Newcastle (England) in 2007, and will hold the position until at least 2013.
- Galos, J.,Best, A.,Mouritz, A. (2020). Multifunctional sandwich composites containing embedded lithium-ion polymer batteries under bending loads In: Materials and Design, 185, 1 - 11
- Haj Mahmood Attar, P.,Galos, J.,Best, A.,Mouritz, A. (2020). Compression properties of multifunctional composite structures with embedded lithium-ion polymer batteries In: Composite Structures, 237, 1 - 11
- Gargano, A.,Galos, J.,Mouritz, A. (2020). Importance of fibre sizing on the seawater durability of carbon fibre laminates In: Composites Communications, 19, 11 - 15
- Pattarakunnan, K.,Galos, J.,Das, R.,Mouritz, A. (2020). Tensile properties of multifunctional composites embedded with lithium-ion polymer batteries In: Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 136, 1 - 13
- Gargano, A.,Das, R.,Mouritz, A. (2020). Explosive Blast Response of Marine Sandwich Composite In: Advances in Thick Section Composite and Sandwich Structures, Springer Nature, United States
- Abbasi, S.,Ladani, R.,Wang, C.,Mouritz, A. (2020). Improving the delamination resistance of fibre reinforced polymer composites using 3D woven metal Z-Filaments In: Composites Science and Technology, 198, 1 - 12
- Han, S.,Meng, Q.,Xing, K.,Araby, S.,Yu, Y.,Mouritz, A.,Ma, J. (2020). Epoxy/graphene film for lifecycle self-sensing and multifunctional applications In: Composites Science and Technology, 198, 1 - 10
- Gargano, A.,Donough, M.,Mouritz, A. (2020). Damage to fibre-polymer laminates caused by surface contact explosive charges In: Composites Part B: Engineering, 197, 1 - 13
- Ladani, R.,Wang, C.,Mouritz, A. (2019). Delamination fatigue resistant three-dimensional textile self-healing composites In: Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 127, 1 - 10
- Ladani, R.,Nguyen, A.,Wang, C.,Mouritz, A. (2019). Mode II interlaminar delamination resistance and healing performance of 3D composites with hybrid z-fibre reinforcement In: Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 120, 21 - 32
- Automated Integrity Assessment of Self-Piercing Rivet Joints: i4.0 Approach. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grants 2019 from (2020 to 2023)
- Explosive Blast Response of Naval Composites in Arctic Conditions. Funded by: United States Office of Naval Research Grant 2016 onwards from (2020 to 2023)
- A Novel Approach to Polymer/Nanosheet Composites and Their Fundamentals. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects via other university 2020 from (2020 to 2023)
- Application for support of the 22nd International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM22) (19IOA028) (AOARD). Funded by: AOARD Competitive Grant 2018 from (2019 to 2020)
- National Laser-Based Non-Destructive Evaluation System (administered by UNSW). Funded by: ARC LIEF Grant via other uni 2018 from (2018 to 2019)
28 PhD Completions and 5 Masters by Research Completions9 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions