Professor Adrian Mouritz is the Executive Dean of the School of Engineering. He undertakes research into fibre reinforced polymer composites and other light-weight structural materials.
Adrian performs research into fibre reinforced polymer composites and other engineering materials used in aircraft. Professor Mouritz has performed research which has led to significant discoveries on various topics associated with composite materials, including their mechanical, fracture and fatigue properties; impact and explosive blast properties; fire structural properties; non-destructive inspection and smart health monitoring; and damage tolerance using through-thickness reinforcement (orthogonal weaving, stitching, pinning).
He has published nearly 200 research articles on composites; which include 3 books, 3 edited books, 15 book chapters, and over 120 journal papers.
Professor Mouritz has received over $5 million in research funds over the past 10 years from various sources, including the Australian Research Council, United States Office of Naval Research and the Composites CRC.
Adrian teaches into the following courses: AERO2289: Design and Manufacture of Composites, AERO2364: Contemporary Issues in Aerospace Engineering and AERO2456: Aviation Sustainability and the Environment.
- BappSc (RMIT)
- MEng (RMIT)
- MSc (Melbourne)
- PhD (Cambridge)
- ScD (Cambrdge)
- Fellow of Engineers Australia
Accomplishments and achievements
Professor Mouritz has received numerous awards and recognition for his research into composite materials. The Professor was co-awarded the Prize for Composites by the Institution of Materials, Minerals and Mining (United Kingdom) in 2004 and again in 2008. The prize is awarded for excellence in published research in the field of composite materials, and is one of the most prestigious awards for composites-related research.
He was invited to the position of Visiting Professor in Composite Materials Engineering at The University of Newcastle (England) in 2007, and will hold the position until at least 2013.
- Bornstein, H.,Ryan, S.,Mouritz, A. (2018). Blast mitigation with fluid Containers: Effect of mitigant type In: International Journal of Impact Engineering, 113, 106 - 117
- Ravindran, A.,Ladani, R.,Wu, S.,Kinloch, A.,Wang, C.,Mouritz, A. (2018). The electric field alignment of short carbon fibres to enhance the toughness of epoxy composites In: Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 106, 11 - 23
- Ladani, R.,Bhasin, M.,Wu, S.,Ravindran, A.,Ghorbani, K.,Zhang, J.,Kinloch, A.,Mouritz, A.,Wang, C. (2018). Fracture and fatigue behaviour of epoxy nanocomposites containing 1-D and 2-D nanoscale carbon fillers In: Engineering Fracture Mechanics, , 1 - 13
- Bhasin, M.,Wu, S.,Ladani, R.,Kinloch, A.,Wang, C.,Mouritz, A. (2018). Increasing the fatigue resistance of epoxy nanocomposites by aligning graphene nanoplatelets In: International Journal of Fatigue, 113, 88 - 97
- Ladani, R.,Pingkarawat, K.,Nguyen, A.,Wang, C.,Mouritz, A. (2018). Delamination toughening and healing performance of woven composites with hybrid z-fibre reinforcement In: Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 110, 258 - 267
- Gargano, A.,Pingkarawat, K.,Pickerd, V.,Delaney, T.,Das, R.,Mouritz, A. (2018). Effect of seawater immersion on the explosive blast response of a carbon fibre-polymer laminate In: Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 109, 382 - 391
- Grigoriou, K.,Mouritz, A. (2018). Modelling and testing of fibre metal laminates and their constituent materials in fire In: Composite Structures, 200, 25 - 35
- Araby, S.,Wang, C.,Wu, H.,Meng, Q.,Kuan, H.,Kim, N.,Mouritz, A.,Ma, J. (2018). Development of flame-retarding elastomeric composites with high mechanical performance In: Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 109, 257 - 266
- Ladani, R.,Wu, S.,Zhang, J.,Ghorbani, K.,Kinloch, A.,Mouritz, A.,Wang, C. (2017). Using carbon nanofibre sensors for in-situ detection and monitoring of disbonds in bonded composite joints In: Proceedings of the 6th Asia Pacific Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring (6APWSHM), Tasmania, Australia, 7-9 December 2016
- Ravindran, A.,Ladani, R.,Wu, S.,Wang, C.,Mouritz, A. (2017). Improvements to the structural properties of bonded composite joints using z-pins In: 17th Australian International Aerospace Congress: AIAC 2017, Melbourne, Australia, 26-28 February 2017
- National Laser-Based Non-Destructive Evaluation System (administered by UNSW). Funded by: ARC LIEF Grant via other uni 2018 from (2018 to 2018)
- Lightweight IP Cockpit System. Funded by: Ford Motor Company - Grant 2018 from (2018 to 2021)
- Fire modelling for maritime platform (Project 8) (Administered by University of New South Wales). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centre via other University Grant 2017 from (2018 to 2023)
- Fire retardant composites (Project 10) (Administered by University of New South Wales). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centre via other University Grant 2017 from (2018 to 2023)
- Excellerate Australia Industry Placement Scholarships for PhD Students: Bracket Welding Process. Funded by: Excellerate Australia Industry Placement Scholarship for PhD Students from (2018 to 2019)
13 PhD Current Supervisions22 PhD Completions and 5 Masters by Research Completions