Areas of research and consulting expertise
- Emulsion polymerisation
- Colloid stability control
- Activated carbon in water and wastewater treatment (adsorption and regeneration)
- Membrane technology in water and wastewater treatment (fouling mechanisms, membrane chemical cleaning)
- Development of silane/siloxane emulsions for building protection. The technology has been patented internationally. The products have been examined and assessed by Hüls AG, Germany as world competitive. Hüls AG is the world leader in the supply of organic solvent silane materials for this application. The technology is currently employed by Tech Dry Building Protection System, Pty. Ltd., Australia, for producing of environmentally friendly products.
- Development of a membrane filtration process for minimisation of wastewater in a water treatment plant. The process has been successfully employed in a pilot water treatment plant in Adelaide, South Australia.
- Nguyen, T. and Kagi, D., "Silane/Siloxane for Masonry Surfaces", International Patent, WO 95/16572, 22June 1995.
- Nguyen, T., Kagi, D. and Holliday, G., "Method of Producing Stable Silane/Siloxane Emulsions for Rendering Masonry Surfaces Water Repellent", Australian Provisional Patent, PM 2952, Dec., 1993.
- PhD (VUT)
- Grad. Dip. Appl. Chem. (RMIT)
- BSc Appl. Chem. (Saigon University)
- Nguyen, T.,Roddick, F.,Fan, L. (2014). Impact of green algae on the measurement of Microcystis aeruginosa populations in lagoon-treated wastewater with an algae online analyser In: Environmental Technology, , 1 - 10
- Handelsman, T.,Nguyen, T.,Vukas, M.,Barton, G.,Coster, H.,Roddick, F.,Kavanagh, J. (2013). Characterisation of foulants in membrane filtration of biorefinery effluents In: Desalination and Water Treatment, 51, 1563 - 1570
- Rajasekhar, P.,Fan, L.,Nguyen, T.,Roddick, F. (2012). Impact of sonication at 20 kHz on Microcystis aeruginosa, Anabaena circinalis and Chlorella sp. In: Water Research, 46, 1473 - 1481
- Rajasekhar, P.,Fan, L.,Nguyen, T.,Roddick, F. (2012). A review of the use of sonication to control cyanobacterial blooms In: Water Research, 46, 4319 - 4329
- Nguyen, T.,Roddick, F.,Fan, L. (2012). Biofouling of water treatment membranes: A review of the underlying causes, monitoring techniques and control measures In: Membranes, 2, 804 - 840
- Fan, L.,Nguyen, T.,Roddick, F. (2011). Characterisation of the impact of coagulation and anaerobic bio-treatment on the removal of chromophores from molasses wastewater In: Water Research, 45, 3933 - 3940
- Roddick, F.,Nguyen, T.,Fan, L.,Meizler, A. (2011). Detection of microcystin-LR in lagoon-treated water by abraxis strip test In: Proceedings of Ozwater 11, Adelaide, Australia, 9 - 11 May, 2011
- Wu, X.,Mochizuki, M.,Mashiko, K.,Nguyen, T.,Nguyen, T.,Wuttijumnong, V.,Cabusao, G.,Singh, R.,Akbarzadeh, A. (2011). Cold energy storage systems using heat pipe technology for cooling data centers In: Frontiers in Heat Pipes, 2, 1 - 7
- Nguyen, T.,Fan, L.,Harris, J.,Roddick, F. (2010). Identification of key water quality characteristics affecting the filterability of biologically treated effluent in low-pressure membrane filtration In: Water Science and Technology, 62, 1914 - 1921
- Nguyen, T.,Fan, L.,Roddick, F. (2010). Removal of melanoidins from an industrial wastewater In: Proceedings of Ozwater 10, Brisbane, Australia, March 8-10, 2010
Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Other Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Analytical Chemistry
- A novel approach to quantify indirect ingestion of recycled water - improving the evidence base for water guidelines (Stage 2a). Funded by: Water Quality Research Australia (WQRA) from (2012 to 2013)
- Reducing and monitoring blue-green algal blooms. Funded by: Smart Water Fund from (2009 to 2010)
- Removing Effluent Colour by Advanced Treatment. Funded by: Smart Water Fund from (2009 to 2011)
- Mitigation of algal fouling of WTP desalination membranes. Funded by: Smart Water Fund from (2006 to 2008)