Professor Antonio Paolini is discipline leader for Psychology in the School of Health Sciences. His areas of teaching are behavioural neuroscience, sensory processing and cognition.
Professor Paolini is former head of the Auditory Clinical Neuroscience Unit at the Bionic Ear Institute, where he collaborated with Professor Graeme Clark on hearing and cochlear implants. He is full Professor of Psychology at RMIT University, where he leads a world class sensory neuroscience laboratory. Collectively he has obtained research funding from various sources such as the ARC, NHMRC and commercial contributions.
Professor Paolini has been successful in establishing patents, negotiating collaborative grants and research contracts with industry and associated partners such as Telstra (2000-2003), The Bionics Institute (2002-2004; 2006-2008) and Jim’s Group Pty Ltd (ongoing). His recent publications are evenly spread over the areas of auditory neuroscience, cognitive neuroscience and social neuroscience, attesting to a remarkably broad research vision.
In 2006, Professor Paolini was awarded the Minister’s Senior Scientist Prize for application of the 3Rs in research. His current research concerns ways in which the environment produces changes to brain, genes and behaviour. A special focus is given to the importance of sensory processing and, in particular, the role olfaction plays in guiding these changes. Research in this area is funded by Jim’s Group Pty Ltd.
- BSc (Hons), PhD (Phys) Melb
- MPsych (Clin Neuro) Melb
- Professor in Psychology
- Registered psychologist
- Australian Psychological Society
- Australasian Neuroscience Society
- Govic, A.,Penman, J.,Tammer, A.,Paolini, A. (2016). Paternal calorie restriction prior to conception alters anxiety-like behavior of the adult rat progeny In: Psychoneuroendocrinology, 64, 1 - 11
- Allitt, B.,Harris, A.,Morgan, S.,Clark, G.,Paolini, A. (2016). Thin-film micro-electrode stimulation of the cochlea in rats exposed to aminoglycoside induced hearing loss In: Hearing Research, 331, 13 - 26
- Harris, A.,Molino, P.,Paolini, A.,Wallace, G. (2016). Effective area and charge density of chondroitin sulphate doped PEDOT modified electrodes In: Electrochimica Acta, 197, 99 - 106
- Harris, A.,Hutchinson, R.,Molino, P.,Kapsa, R.,Clark, G.,Paolini, A.,Wallace, G. (2016). Correlation of impedance and effective electrode area of dextran sulfate doped PEDOT modified electrodes In: Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 163, H534 - H534
- Lee, G.,Zambetta, F.,Li, X.,Paolini, A. (2016). Utilising reinforcement learning to develop strategies for driving auditory neural implants In: Journal of Neural Engineering, 13, 1 - 13
- Harris, A.,Molino, P.,Kapsa, R.,Clark, G.,Paolini, A.,Wallace, G. (2016). Effective area and charge density of dextran sulphate doped PEDOT modified electrodes In: Synthetic Metals, 220, 394 - 401
- Harris, A.,Molino, P.,Paolini, A.,Wallace, G. (2016). Correlation of impedance and effective electrode area of chondroitin sulphate doped PEDOT modified electrodes In: Synthetic Metals, 222, 338 - 343
- Harris, A.,Molino, P.,Kapsa, R.,Clark, G.,Paolini, A.,Wallace, G. (2015). Correlation of the impedance and effective electrode area of doped PEDOT modified electrodes for brain-machine interfaces In: Analyst, 140, 3164 - 3174
- Barry, K.,Paolini, A.,Robertson, D.,Mulders, W. (2015). Modulation of medial geniculate nucleus neuronal activity by electrical stimulation of the nucleus accumbens In: Neuroscience, 308, 1 - 10
- Spencer, M.,Nayagam, D.,Clarey, J.,Paolini, A.,Meffin, H.,Burkitt, A.,Graden, D. (2015). Broadband Onset Inhibition Can Suppress Spectral Splatter in the Auditory Brainstem In: PLOS ONE, 10, 1 - 23
- Neural network underlying memory erasure - Administered by the University of Melbourne. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects via other University Grant 2015 from (2015 to 2017)
1 PhD Current Supervisions