Dr Paz-Ferreiro's research is broadly concerned with waste management and its recycling into the soil system. Recently his research is concerned with biochar, a pyrolysis product, which can provide environmental benefits including carbon sequestration, improving soil quality and the remediation of polluted areas.
He is interested in organic and inorganic pollutants and their effect on soil biological activity.
He has delivered high-profile research outputs since 2007 and has authored or co-authored over 40 peer reviewed publications, with over 400 citations.
A patent was issued to him in 2012 covering a method of 'agglomerating carbonaceous materials, involving mixing carbonaceous material with sunflower oil' (Patent ES-2 372 951).
A publication listing is available on Google Scholar.
- B.Sc. in Chemistry (Environmental) (Honours)
- M.Sc. in Environmental Science and Natural Resources
- Ph.D. in Environmental Science and Natural Resources
- Editorial Board Member, Soil and Tillage Research
- Member of the Soil Science Society of America
- Member of the Spanish Society of Soil Science
- Member of the European Geosciences Union
- Lu, H.,Li, Z.,Gasco, G.,Mendez, A.,Shen, Y.,Paz-Ferreiro, J. (2018). Use of magnetic biochars for the immobilization of heavy metals in a multi-contaminated soil In: Science of the Total Environment, 622, 892 - 899
- Benavente, I.,Gasco, G.,Plaza, C.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Mendez, A.,Mendez, A. (2018). Choice of pyrolysis parameters for urban wastes affects soil enzymes and plant germination in a Mediterranean soil In: Science of the Total Environment, 634, 1308 - 1314
- Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Marinho, M.,De Abreu, C.,Vidal-Vazquez, E. (2018). Soil texture effects on multifractal behaviour of nitrogen adsorption and desorption isotherms In: Biosystems Engineering, 168, 121 - 132
- Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Nieto, A.,Mendez, A.,Askeland, M.,Gasco, G. (2018). Biochar from biosolids pyrolysis: A review In: International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15, 1 - 16
- Yang, Y.,Meehan, B.,Shah, K.,Surapaneni, A.,Hughes, J.,Fouch�, L.,Paz-Ferreiro, J. (2018). Physicochemical properties of biochars produced from biosolids in Victoria, Australia In: International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15, 1 - 13
- Bertol, I.,Schick, J.,Bandeira, D.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Vidal-Vazquez, E. (2017). Multifractal and joint multifractal analysis of water and soil losses from erosion plots: A case study under subtropical conditions in Santa Catarina highlands, Brazil In: Geoderma, 287, 116 - 125
- Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Plasencia, P.,Gasco, G.,Mendez, A. (2017). Biochar from pyrolysis of deinking paper sludge and its use in the remediation of Zn-polluted soils In: Land Degradation and Development, 28, 355 - 360
- Laidlaw, M.,Filippelli, G.,Brown, S.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Reichman, S.,Netherway, P.,Truskewycz, A.,Ball, A.,Mielke, H. (2017). Case studies and evidence-based approaches to addressing urban soil lead contamination In: Applied Geochemistry, 83, 14 - 30
- Cardenes-Aguiar, E.,Gasco, G.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Mendez, A. (2017). The effect of biochar and compost from urban organic waste on plant biomass and properties of an artificially copper polluted soil In: International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, , 1 - 10
- Alvarez, M.,Gasco, G.,Plaza, C.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Mendez, A. (2017). Hydrochars from biosolids and urban wastes as substitute materials for peat In: Land Degradation and Development, 28, 2268 - 2276
- Landscape modelling, remote sensing, nutrient management, tools for precision agriculture and grape quality: Grant number 255899413. Funded by: Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering Priming Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2017)
- Converting solid waste from abbatoirs into Hydrochar. Funded by: Australian Meat Processor Corporation Grant 2015 from (2015 to 2016)
5 PhD Current Supervisions and 3 Masters by Research Current Supervisions