Dr Paz-Ferreiro's research is broadly concerned with waste management and its recycling into the soil system. Recently his research is concerned with biochar, a pyrolysis product, which can provide environmental benefits including carbon sequestration, improving soil quality and the remediation of polluted areas.
He is interested in organic and inorganic pollutants and their effect on soil biological activity.
A patent was issued to him in 2012 covering a method of 'agglomerating carbonaceous materials, involving mixing carbonaceous material with sunflower oil' (Patent ES-2 372 951).
A publication listing is available on Google Scholar.
- B.Sc. in Chemistry (Environmental) (Honours)
- M.Sc. in Environmental Science and Natural Resources
- Ph.D. in Environmental Science and Natural Resources
- Editorial Board Member, Soil and Tillage Research
- Member of the Soil Science Society of America
- Member of the Spanish Society of Soil Science
- Member of the European Geosciences Union
- Patel, S.,Kundu, S.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Surapanenin, A.,Fouche, L.,Halder, P.,Setiawan, A.,Shah, K. (2019). Transformation of Biosolids to Biochar: A Case Study In: Environmental Progress & Sustainable energy, , 1 - 11
- Halder, P.,Kundu, S.,Patel, S.,Setiawan, A.,Atkin, R.,Parthasarathy, R.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Surapaneni, A.,Shah, K. (2019). Progress on the pre-treatment of lignocellulosic biomass employing ionic liquids In: Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 105, 268 - 292
- de Figueiredo, C.,Chagas, J.,da Silva, J.,Paz-Ferreiro, J. (2019). Short-term effects of a sewage sludge biochar amendment on total and available heavy metal content of a tropical soil In: Geoderma, 344, 31 - 39
- Patel, S.,Kundu, S.,Halder, P.,Rickards, L.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Surapanenin, A.,Madapusi, S.,Shah, K. (2019). Thermogravimetric Analysis of biosolids pyrolysis in the presence of mineral oxides In: Renewable Energy, 141, 707 - 716
- Askeland, M.,Clarke, B.,Paz-Ferreiro, J. (2019). Comparative characterization of biochars produced at three selected pyrolysis temperatures from common woody and herbaceous waste streams In: PeerJ, , 1 - 20
- Cardenas-Aguiar, E.,Gasco, G.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Mendez, A. (2019). Thermogravimetric analysis and carbon stability of chars produced from slow pyrolysis and hydrothermal carbonization of manure waste In: Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 140, 434 - 443
- Gasc�, G.,Alvarez, M.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Miguel, G.,M�ndez, A. (2018). Valorization of biochars from pinewood gasification and municipal solid waste torrefaction as peat substitutes In: Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 25, 26461 - 26469
- Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Gasco, G.,Mendez, A.,Reichman, S. (2018). Soil pollution and remediation In: International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15, 1 - 3
- Carnaje, N.,Talagon, R.,Peralta, J.,Shah, K.,Paz-Ferreiro, J. (2018). Development and characterisation of charcoal briquettes from water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes)-molasses blend In: PLoS ONE, 13, 1 - 14
- Patel, S.,Kundu, S.,Halder, P.,Setiawan, A.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Surapaneni, A.,Shah, K. (2018). A Hybrid Kinetic Analysis of the Biosolids Pyrolysis using Thermogravimetric Analyser In: ChemistrySelect, 3, 13400 - 13407
- Integrated water management through the application of advanced wastewater treatments (Research Exchange with the Universidad Estuado de Maringa). Funded by: Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions - Competitive from (2018 to 2019)
- Landscape modelling, remote sensing, nutrient management, tools for precision agriculture and grape quality: Grant number 255899413. Funded by: Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering Priming Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2017)
- Converting solid waste from abbatoirs into Hydrochar. Funded by: Australian Meat Processor Corporation Grant 2015 from (2015 to 2016)
1 Masters by Research Completions5 PhD Current Supervisions and 3 Masters by Research Current Supervisions