Dr Paz-Ferreiro's research is broadly concerned with waste management and its recycling into the soil system. Recently his research is concerned with biochar, a pyrolysis product, which can provide environmental benefits including carbon sequestration, improving soil quality and the remediation of polluted areas.
He is interested in organic and inorganic pollutants and their effect on soil biological activity.
A patent was issued to him in 2012 covering a method of 'agglomerating carbonaceous materials, involving mixing carbonaceous material with sunflower oil' (Patent ES-2 372 951).
A publication listing is available on Google Scholar.
- B.Sc. in Chemistry (Environmental) (Honours)
- M.Sc. in Environmental Science and Natural Resources
- Ph.D. in Environmental Science and Natural Resources
- Editorial Board Member, Soil and Tillage Research
- Member of the Soil Science Society of America
- Member of the Spanish Society of Soil Science
- Member of the European Geosciences Union
- Chagas, J.,de Figueiredo, C.,da Silva, J.,Paz-Ferreiro, J. (2021). The residual effect of sewage sludge biochar on soil availability and bioaccumulation of heavy metals: Evidence from a three-year field experiment In: Journal of Environmental Management, 279, 1 - 8
- Hedayati Marzbali, M.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Kundu, S.,Ramezani, D.,Halder, P.,Patel, S.,White, T.,Madapusi, S.,Shah, K. (2021). Investigations into distribution and characterisation of products formed during hydrothermal carbonisation of paunch waste In: Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 9, 1 - 11
- Chagas, J.,de Figueiredo, C.,da Silva, J.,Shah, K.,Paz-Ferreiro, J. (2021). Long-term effects of sewage sludge–derived biochar on the accumulation and availability of trace elements in a tropical soil In: Journal of Environmental Quality, 50, 264 - 277
- Widhiastuti, F.,Fan, L.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Chiang, K. (2021). Oxidative treatment of bisphenol A in municipal wastewater reverse osmosis concentrate using Ferrate(VI) In: Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 9, 1 - 12
- Hedayati Marzbali, M.,Kundu, S.,Halder, P.,Patel, S.,Hakeem, I.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Madapusi, S.,Surapaneni, A.,Shah, K. (2021). Wet organic waste treatment via hydrothermal processing: A critical review In: Chemosphere, 279, 1 - 25
- Hakeem, I.,Halder, P.,Hedayati Marzbali, M.,Patel, S.,Kundu, S.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Surapaneni, A.,Shah, K. (2021). Research progress on levoglucosan production via pyrolysis of lignocellulosic biomass and its effective recovery from bio-oil In: Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 9, 1 - 25
- Alvarez, M.,Méndez, A.,Rodríguez-Pacheco, R.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Gascó, G. (2021). Recovery of zinc and copper from mine tailings by acid leaching solutions combined with carbon-based materials In: Applied Sciences, 11, 1 - 11
- de Figueiredo, C.,Wickert, É.,Neves, H.,Coser, T.,Paz-Ferreiro, J. (2020). Sewage sludge biochar increases nitrogen fertilizer recovery: Evidence from a 15N tracer field study In: Soil Use and Management, , 1 - 9
- Patel, S.,Kundu, S.,Halder, P.,Rathnayake, N.,Hedayati Marzbali, M.,Aktar, S.,Selezneva, E.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Surapaneni, A.,de Figueiredo, C.,Sharma, A.,Mallavarapu, M.,Shah, K. (2020). A critical literature review on biosolids to biochar: an alternative biosolids management option In: Reviews in Environmental Science and Biotechnology, 19, 807 - 841
- Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Álvarez-Calvo, M.,de Figueiredo, C.,Mendez, A.,Gascó, G. (2020). Effect of biochar and hydrochar on forms of aluminium in an acidic soil In: Applied Sciences, 10, 1 - 10
3 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions7 PhD Current Supervisions
- Single Particle Elemental Analysis – Imaging Mass Cytometer Facility (administered by University of Melbourne). Funded by: ARC LIEF via other University from (2020 to 2020)
- Integrated water management through the application of advanced wastewater treatments (Research Exchange with the Universidad Estuado de Maringa). Funded by: Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions - Competitive from (2018 to 2019)
- Landscape modelling, remote sensing, nutrient management, tools for precision agriculture and grape quality: Grant number 255899413. Funded by: Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering Priming Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2017)
- Converting solid waste from abbatoirs into Hydrochar. Funded by: Australian Meat Processor Corporation Grant 2015 from (2015 to 2016)