Juliette Peers is Postgraduate Supervisor and Senior Researcher in Textile Design at RMIT.
Juliette's interests span both classical art history (covering design and applied art as well) and contemporary art/design Widely published as a classical art historian in Australia, as well as British and North American publications including Pre-Raphaelite Sculpture and the Dictionary of Women Artists, also published many essay relating to contemporary art and feminist studies in Australia. Specialist areas of interest include women’s history, fashion, dolls, women artists, nineteenth century sculpture.
Supervision of research students
Registered on the Supervisors’ Register: Category One.
Fashion history, textile history, decorative arts history, fashion and cultural theory, images of gender, popular culture, queer culture, cross-overs between fashion and art, film and theatre, women's culture and social history 19–20th century.
Many successful completions for the Textile Design Team, RMIT Brunswick in history/theory, industry based studies and practice based and creative research.
Prizes and awards
Best art historical essay of 2010 awarded by the Art Association of Australia and New Zealand.
Fellowship from Beverley Wilson Architectural Foundation to present a paper at 60th Annual Meeting (Conference) Society of Architectural Historians (USA) Pittsburgh Pennsylvania April 2007.
Guest of Visiting Scholars' Program, Centre for Cross-Cultural Studies, Australian National University, Canberra 2001.
Scholarship from the Henry Moore Foundation, Leeds, Britain, to travel to England to take part in the Pre-Raphaelite Sculpture Conference, Leighton House, October 1991.
PhD, Deakin University
- Zainurul, R.,Bafhen, N.,Peers, J. (2015). Wanita Magazines (1969-1980): National Narratives, Imageries of Modernity and Womanhood in Nation Building In: Wacana Seni-Journal Of Art Discourse, 14, 59 - 86
- Bahfen, N.,Abd Rahman, Z.,Peers, J. (2014). Kampung (village) dreaming: rural and urban icons of Malaysian modernity in the cartoons of Lat In: Fusion Journal, , 1 - 9
- Peers, J. (2014). Jennifer Phipps 1944-2014 In: Artlink Adelaide, Australia
- Peers, J. (2014). Barbie In: Iconic Designs - 50 Stories About 50 Things, Bloomsbury Publishing, United kingdom
- Peers, J. (2014). Slouch Hat In: Encyclopaedia of Ethnic Clothing in the United States Lanham, United States
- Peers, J. (2013). Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered In: Ordinary Escapes and Other Magic Adelaide, Australia
- Peers, J. (2013). Guileless and Monstrous In: Artlink Fullarton, Australia
- Peers, J. (2013). Elizabeth Gertsakis: Monet, man of flowers In: Art Monthly Australia Canberra, Australia
- Peers, J. (2013). Not the usual book club story: the Margaret Dredge retrospective In: Art Monthly Australia Canberra, Australia
- Peers, J. (2012). Visions Past and Present: Celebrating 40 Years: 3 essays - Bernard Hall, Arthur Streeton and Bertram Mackennal In: Visions Past and Present: Celebrating 40 Years Melbourne, Australia
- Design and Art of Australia Online, a transformation of the Dictionary of Australian Artists Online. Administered by University of New South Wales. Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) Grant from (2010 to 2010)
9 PhD Completions and 8 Masters by Research Completions