Phred is a Senior Lecturer in the Bachelor of Arts Photography program at RMIT.
Fred specialises in applications of photography for scientific and industrial research. He teaches a broad range of specialised photography topics in the second and third years of the curriculum, including photomacrography, photomicroscopy, infrared/ultraviolet photography, high-speed imaging, schlieren and shadowgraph methods, slit and streak photography and methods for flow visualization. He also teaches studio and location photography in the first year of the program.
Selection Officer, BA Photography, 2011–2012
RMIT University School of Media and Communication Research and Innovation Committee, 2011
RMIT University Academic Board, 2010
'Blast Wave'. First Place, 2008 Australian Museum Eureka Prize for Science Photography.
'Bottle top Gas Dynamics'. Chosen as one of the top 10 Highly Commended entries, 2010 Australian Museum Eureka Prize for Science Photography; included in the online exhibition.
'Snuffed Candle'. Chosen as one of the top 25 entries, 2007 Australian Museum Eureka Prize for Science Photography; included in the 2007 traveling exhibition.
Science, Engineering and Technology Portfolio 2006 Teaching Awards. Certificate of Commendation for Student Centred Teaching, 2006.
Phred’s research interests are in the application of photography as a tool to understand the physical world around us, with a specific interest in schlieren and shadowgraph methods, high speed photography of transient events and flow visualisation. He has ongoing collaborations with researchers in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering.
BSc (Chemistry), University of North Dakota, USA (1976)
BA Industrial/Scientific Photography, Brooks Institute, USA (1985)
MEd (Teaching), RMIT University (2003)
Following visits to RMIT as a Guest Lecturer in 1990 and 1996, Phred joined RMIT fulltime in 1998 as a Lecturer in Scientific Photography. He was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2002. Some of his industry and professional activities include:
'Cover versus concealment.' DSTO small arms trials, Phase 1 and 2. Port Wakefield, SA. Carmine Caputo, Task Manager, 2006, 2007.
High-speed camera supervisor, 'Kill Your Television' short film directed by Andrew Mitchell, Produced by Hugh Jenkins, 2008.
Camera operator/technician, Firing Line Multi-Camera Array (60 still cameras), Mark Ruff Photography:
Channel Seven Sports Intro Special Effects, Melbourne, 2002
Short Film, 'Chop Chop. The Smoko Diaries', Melbourne, 2000
Special Effects /Television Commercial, Hang Zhou, China, 2000
Photography Supervisor, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (USA), 1988–1996.
Sr. Assistant Scientist. Warner-Lambert/Parke-Davis Pharmaceutical Research, Ann Arbor, MI (USA). 1980–1982.
- Durgada, S.,Petersen, P.,Lappas, P. (2018). Flow characteristics of natural-gas from an outward-opening nozzle for direct injection engines In: Fuel, 218, 188 - 202
- Tao, Y.,Inthavong, K.,Petersen, P.,Mohanarangam, K.,Yang, W.,Tu, J. (2018). Experimental visualisation of wake flows induced by different shaped moving manikins In: Building and Environment, 142, 361 - 370
- Inthavong, K.,Tao, Y.,Petersen, P.,Mohanarangam, K.,Yang, W.,Tu, J. (2017). A smoke visualisation technique for wake flow from a moving human mankind In: Journal of Visualization, 20, 125 - 137
- Panta, A.,Watkins, S.,Marino, M.,Petersen, P. (2017). Investigation of the dynamics of leading edge control surfaces for MAV flight In: Proceedings of the 17th Australian International Aerospace Congress, Melbourne, Australia, 26-28 February 2017
- Lacey, J.,Poursadegh, F.,Brear, M.,Gordon, R.,Petersen, P.,Lakey, C.,Butcher, B.,Ryan, S. (2017). Generalizing the behavior of flash-boiling, plume interaction and spray collapse for multi-hole, direct injection In: Fuel, 200, 345 - 356
- Kurdzinski, M.,Gol, B.,Co Hee, A.,Thurgood, P.,Zhu, J.,Petersen, P.,Mitchell, A.,Khoshmanesh, K. (2017). Dynamics of high viscosity contrast confluent microfluidic flows In: Scientific Reports, 7, 1 - 11
- Panta, A.,Petersen, P.,Marino, M.,Watkins, S.,Fisher, A.,Mohamed, A. (2017). Qualitative investigation of the dynamics of a leading edge control surfaces for MAV applications In: Proceedings of the 9th International Micro Air Vehicle Conference and Flight Competitioin (IMAV 2017), Toulouse France, 18-22 September 2017
- Haddad, G.,Wong, K.,Petersen, P. (2016). Evaluation of the aging process of composite insulator based on surface charaterisation techniques and electrical method In: IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Inslation, 23, 311 - 318
- Gol, B.,Kurdzinski, M.,Tovar Lopez, F.,Petersen, P.,Mitchell, A.,Khoshmanesh, K. (2016). Hydrodynamic directional control of liquid metal droplets within a microfluidic flow focusing system In: Applied Physics Letters, 108, 1 - 5
- Fisher, A.,Ravi, S.,Watkins, S.,Watmuff, J.,Wang, C.,Liu, H.,Petersen, P. (2016). The gust-mitigating potential of flapping wings In: Bioinspiration and Biomimetics, 11, 1 - 13
1 Masters by Research Completions