- Biomedical Electronics
- Bio-signals (EMG, ECG, EEG) processing
- Microelectronics for health and human computer interface applications
- Prosthetic/Robotic hand Control
- Muscle fatigue, Neuro-muscular activity and modelling
- Age related neuromuscular changes
- Rehabilitation Engineering
- Industry project (ongoing) - “Automated system for Finger and thumb control for Hand Amputees – towards intelligent prosthetic hand“ - Funded by Touch Bionics Ltd., UK.
- Age related changes in neuromuscular activity
- Analysis of Muscle fatigue
- Human computer interface for disabled
Awards, fellowships and scholarships
- Australia-India Early Career research fellowships to work with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi, India on developing improved control of assistive technologies.
- CASS foundation Early Career Researcher (ECR) grant in 2012
- Best paper awards in International Conferences, 2012 (IHCI 2012, India) 2006 (E-society, Ireland) and 2007 (ICEIS, France).
- CASS foundation Early Career Researcher (ECR) grant in 2010
- RMIT SECE Postgraduate Research Scholarship 2006-2008.
- IEEE Postgraduate Travel award.
- German State Scholarship for 6 month research placement at BA-University of Co-operative Education, Stuttgart, Germany in 2006.
- Post graduate Travel award to attend Vision in Human Computer Interface (VisHCI) conference in 2006.
2009 – Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D., Electronics and Biomedical), RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
Member of professional associations
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- Life Member, Indian Society for Technical Education
- Zham, P.,Poosapadi Arjunan, S.,Raghav, S.,Kumar, D. (2018). Efficacy of guided spiral drawing in the classification of Parkinson's Disease In: IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, 22, 1648 - 1652
- Bhowmik, S.,Jelfs, B.,Poosapadi Arjunan, S.,Kumar, D. (2018). Outlier Removal in Facial Surface Electromyography through Hampel Filtering Technique In: IEEE Life Sciences Conference (LSC) 2017, Sydney, Australia, 13-15 December 2017
- Naik, G.,Selvan, S.,Poosapadi Arjunan, S.,Acharyya, A.,Kumar, D.,Ramanujam, A.,Nguyen, H. (2018). An ICA-EBM-based sEMG classifier for recognizing lower limb movements in individuals with and without knee pathology In: IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 26, 675 - 686
- Zham, P.,Kumar, D.,Dabnichki, P.,Poosapadi Arjunan, S.,Raghav, S. (2017). Distinguishing different stages of Parkinson's disease using composite index of speed and pen-pressure of sketching a spiral In: Frontiers in Neurology, 8, 1 - 7
- Manjeri Keloth, S.,Poosapadi Arjunan, S.,Kumar, D. (2017). Computing the variations in the self-similar properties of the various gait intervals in Parkinson disease patients In: Proceedings of the 39th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS 2017), Jeju Island, South Korea, 11-15 July 2017
- Bingham, A.,Poosapadi Arjunan, S.,Kumar, D. (2017). Measuring the interactions between different locations in a muscle to monitor localized muscle fatigue In: Proceedings of the 39th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS 2017), Jeju Island, South Korea, 11-15 July 2017
- Ghosh, D.,Kumar, D.,Poosapadi Arjunan, S.,Siddiqi, A.,Swaminathan, R. (2017). A computational model to investigate the effect of pennation angle on surface electromyogram of Tibialis Anterior In: Plos one, 12, 1 - 24
- Bingham, A.,Poosapadi Arjunan, S.,Jelfs, B.,Kumar, D. (2017). Normalised Mutual Information of High-Density Surface Electromyography during Muscle Fatigue In: Entropy, 19, 1 - 14
- Kumar, D.,Poosapadi Arjunan, S.,Aliahmad, B. (2016). Fractals: Applications in Biological Signalling and Image Processing, CRC Press, Unites States
- Soman, S.,Jayadeva, J.,Poosapadi Arjunan, S.,Kumar, D. (2016). Improved sEMG signal classification using the twin SVM In: Proceedings of the 2016 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC 2016), Budapest, Hungary, 9-12 October 2016
- Muscle fatigue monitor. Funded by: Global Connections Fund Bridging Grants 2017 from (2017 to 2018)
- Real-time Spectroscopic system for contaminant detection in red meat. Funded by: Australian Meat Processor Corporation (AMPC) and Meat and Livestock Australia (MLA) Joint Food Safety Program Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2018)
- Keeping Feet Healthy with Diabetes. Funded by: Royal District Nursing Service Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2017)
- Monitoring the changes to residual muscles after transradial amputation for better prosthesis control. Funded by: Promobilia Foundation Sweden: Competitive Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2018)
- CASS Foundation Travel Grant (2016) to present 3 papers in the 38th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society.. Funded by: The CASS Foundation Travel Grant 2016 Round 1 from (2016 to 2016)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
2 PhD Completions5 PhD Current Supervisions
Bio-signal processing, Biomedical engineering, muscle control, surface Electromyography, Muscle activity based Prosthetic hand control, Human computer interface, fatigue, age-related neuromuscular activity