Associate Professor Ellie Rennie is a Principal Research Fellow in the School of Media and Communication.
Her work focuses on the social consequences of technological change, including digital inclusion. She is Chief Investigator of the ARC Linkage project the Dynamics of Digital Inclusion, working with industry partner One Education (2016-2017), and is leading a project on cyber safety in remote Aboriginal communities for Telstra, among other projects. Her book publications include: Internet on the Outstation: The digital divide and remote Aboriginal communities (multi-authored with industry partners, Institute for Network Cultures, 2016), Life of SYN: A Story of the Digital Generation (Monash University Press, 2011); Community Media: A Global Introduction (Rowan & Littlefield, 2006). Her fourth book (co-authored with Aneta Podkalicka), Using Media for Social Innovation (Intellect), will be available in 2017.
Doctor of Philosophy (Creative Industries), Queensland University of Technology, 2004
Bachelor of Arts (Hons, Political Science), Melbourne University, 1998
- Rennie, E.,Hogan, E.,Gregory, R.,Crouch, A.,Wright, A.,Thomas, J. (2016). Internet on the outstation: The digital divide and remote Aboriginal communities, Institute for Network Cultures, Australia
- Rennie, E.,Hogan, E.,Holcombe-James, I. (2016). Cyber safety in remote Aboriginal communities and towns In: Telstra Melbourne, Australia
- Woodrow, N.,Spurgeon, C.,Rennie, E.,Klaebe, H.,Heck, E.,Haseman, B.,Hartley, J.,Edmond, M.,Burgess, J. (2015). Community uses of co-creative media: Digital storytelling and co-creative media: The role of community arts and media in propagating and coordinating population-wide creative practice In: Cultural Science, 8, 150 - 243
- Ewing, S.,Rennie, E.,Thomas, J. (2015). Broadband policy and rural and cultural divides in Australia In: Digital Divides: The New Challenges and Opportunities of e-Inclusion, CRC Press, New York, United States
- Rennie, E.,Podkalicka, A. (2014). Youth development or media innovation? The outcomes of youth media enterprise In: Cultural Science, 7, 98 - 110
- Rennie, E. (2013). Co-creative media in remote Indigenous communities In: Cultural Science, 6, 22 - 36
- Rennie, E. (2013). Unintended consequences: Satellite policy and Indigenous television In: Media International Australia, , 92 - 103
- Rennie, E.,Crouch, A.,Wright, A.,Thomas, J. (2013). At home on the outstation: Barriers to home internet in remote Indigenous communities In: Telecommunications Policy, 37, 583 - 593
- Howard, S.,Rennie, E. (2013). Free for all: A case study examining implementation factors of one-to-one device programs In: Computers in the Schools, 30, 359 - 377
- Podkalicka, A.,Meredyth, D.,MacKenzie, D.,Rennie, E.,Staley, J.,Thomas, J.,Wilson, C. (2013). Youthworx media: youth media and social enterprise as intervention and innovation In: Australian Research Council Melbourne, Australia