Dr Robert is a Senior Lecturer in Engineering at RMIT University. He obtained his PhD from Cambridge University and has over 12 years research & industry experience in soil-structure related projects.
Dr Dilan Robert is an expert in geotechnical engineering and soil-structure interaction modelling. He has over 12 years experience in onshore and offshore soil-structure interaction projects. He works in the areas of onshore/offshore pipelines, unsaturated soils, offshore geotechnics, constitutive modelling and road pavements.
Areas of research and consulting expertise
- Onshore/Offshore pipelines
- Unsaturated Soils
- Offshore Geotechnics
- Constitutive Modelling of Soil & Concrete
- Road Pavements
- Soil Scour
Awards and Honours
- RMIT Research Excellence Team Award 2017
- Director of Research & Education in CPEAP Ltd.
- Professional Civil Engineer accredited by Engineers, Australia.
- Contribution to the Rankine Lecture, 2009 (The most prestigious of the invited lectures in geotechnics).
- Cambridge Commonwealth Trust Scholarship (2006-2010) to read for Ph.D. at Cambridge University, UK.
- Gold Medal for the best Civil Engineering Graduate, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 2005.
- Dean’s Honours List, Faculty of Engineering, University of Moratuwa, 2002, 2003 & 2004.
- The top rank in the representing district for G.C.E.(A/L) examination, 1999, Sri Lanka.
View Dr Robert’s publications at his Google Scholar page.
Invited Reviews (Selected)
- ARC Discovery, Linkage and DECRA Projects
- Elsevier Books
- ASCE – Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental
- Canadian Geotechnical Journal
- Computers and Geotechnics Elsevier
- ASCE – Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering
- Construction & Building Materials Elsevier
- Ocean Engineering Elsevier
- Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering
- Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology Elsevier
- ASCE – Journal of Pipeline Systems Engineering and Practice
- Geotechnical and Geological Engineering Springer
- Engineers Australia Technical Journals
- CIVE1108 Geotechnical Engineering 2
- CIVE1178 Geotechnical Engineering 1
- CIVE1185 Engineering Practice 1
- Representative academic in Civil Engineering undergraduate selection for Bachelor of Engineering (Civil and Infrastructure).
- Fifth Year Coordinator for Bachelor of Engineering (Civil and Infrastructure) (Honours)/Bachelor of Business (Management)
- Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching and Learning, RMIT University, Australia, 2014.
- PhD in Engineering, University of Cambridge, UK, 2011.
- B.Sc. Engineering Honours (1st Class & Gold Medallist), University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 2005.
Senior Lecturer, RMIT University, Australia (2018-present)
Dilan is a Senior Lecturer in Engineering at RMIT University.
Lecturer, RMIT University, Australia (2014-2017)
Research Fellow, Monash University, Australia (2012-2014)
Dilan worked as a research fellow at Monash University for 2 years in the research project of advanced condition assessment and failure prediction technology for critical pipes. He worked mainly in responsible of assessing the deformations/stress states of buried corroded water pipes (cast iron and steel) due to internal and external loadings, using numerical modelling tools.
Geotechnical Engineer, KW Ltd, London, UK (2010-2012)
At KW, Ltd, Dilan worked as a subsea geotechnical engineering on various offshore pipeline projects in responsible of upheaval buckling analysis, reliability analysis, shore approach, slope stability, trencheability, expansion, pile design, backfilling assessments, settlement calculations and geotechnical data review.
Doctorate Researcher, Cambridge University, UK (2006-2010)
Dilan conducted his PhD on Soil-Pipeline interaction in unsaturated soils under the supervision of Prof. Kenichi Soga and Prof. Malcolm Bolton. This was a collaborative research work between Cambridge University UK, Cornell University US (with the coordination of Prof. Tom O'Rourke) and Tokyo Gas Japan.
Civil Engineer, State Engineering Corporation (SEC), Sri Lanka (2005-2006)
At SEC, Dilan has experienced in all aspects of casting the pre-stressed and precast concrete structures such as bridge beams, electricity transition poles, hume pipes, hollow blocks, building components and other precast reinforced concrete items. Further, he managed more than 150 direct labourers at the construction site and worked in coordination with the subordinate staff.
Research Engineer, Lanka Hydraulic Institute (LHI), Sri Lanka (2004-2005)
Dilan worked as a mathematical modeller at LHI for the construction of fishing harbours and ports.
- Wasim, M.,Robert, D.,Li, C. (2021). Corrosion effects on the granular nano mechanical properties of buried cast iron In: Engineering Failure Analysis, 119, 1 - 12
- Pooni, J.,Robert, D.,Giustozzi, F.,Setunge, S.,Xie, Y.,Xia, J. (2021). Performance evaluation of calcium sulfoaluminate as an alternative stabilizer for treatment of weaker subgrades In: Transportation Geotechnics, 27, 1 - 14
- Yazdanfar, Z.,Lester, D.,Robert, D.,Setunge, S. (2021). A novel CFD-DEM upscaling method for prediction of scour under live-bed conditions In: Ocean Engineering, 220, 1 - 13
- Pateriya, A.,Dharavath, K.,Robert, D. (2021). Enhancing the strength characteristics of No-fine concrete using wastes and nano materials In: Construction and Building Materials, 276, 1 - 15
- Pooni, J.,Robert, D.,Giustozzi, F.,Setunge, S.,Xie, Y.,Xia, J. (2020). Novel use of calcium sulfoaluminate (CSA) cement for treating problematic soils In: Construction and Building Materials, 260, 1 - 16
- Wasim, M.,Robert, D.,Li, C.,Mahmoodian, M. (2020). Coupled effect of soil's acidity and saturation on pitting corrosion of buried cast iron In: Geotechnical Testing Journal, 44, 1 - 13
- Seneviratne, C.,Robert, D.,Gunasekara, M.,Wimalasiri, L.,Law, D.,Setunge, S. (2020). Damage Assessment of Geopolymer Aggregate Concrete Using Numerical Modeling In: ICSECM 2019 Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Structural Engineering and Construction Management, Springer, Singapore
- Karami, H.,Robert, D.,Costa, S.,Tostovrsnik, F.,O'Donnell, B.,Setunge, S. (2020). Construction of Working Platforms on Expansive Soils Using Recycled Concrete and Stabilizers: A Case Study In: ICSECM 2019 Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Structural Engineering and Construction Management, Springer, Singapore
- Wasim, M.,Mahmoodian, M.,Robert, D.,Li, C. (2020). Correlation Model for the Corrosion Rates of Buried Cast Iron Pipes In: Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 32, 1 - 7
- Seneviratne, C.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Setunge, S.,Robert, D. (2020). Creep, shrinkage and permeation characteristics of geopolymer aggregate concrete: long-term performance In: Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering, 20, 1 - 15
- IH18.04.4b: Development of a smart pavement asset management platform combining traffic models, pavement construction data, condition assessment data, traffic management, multi-sensor information and optimised rehabilitation strategies (administered by Monash University). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub via other University Grant 2019 from (2019 to 2024)
- IH18.04.4a: Optimisation of pavement fund allocation for pavement rehabilitation based on pavement condition data and remaining life cycle analytics (administered by Monash University). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub via other University Grant 2019 from (2019 to 2024)
- Recycled glass technology for cost effective green buildings. Funded by: Sustainability Victoria - Competitive from (2019 to 2021)
- IH18.05.2: Enhancement of asphalt using crumb rubber, ultra-fine-grained materials and self-healing additives (administered by Monash University). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub via other University Grant 2019 from (2019 to 2024)
- IH18.01.2: Subgrade model incorporating unsaturated soil behaviour, cyclic loading, and climatic effects and test methods (administered by Monash University). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub via other University Grant 2019 from (2019 to 2024)
14 PhD Current Supervisions3 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions