Dr Robert is a Senior Lecturer in Engineering at RMIT University. He obtained his PhD from Cambridge University and has over 12 years research & industry experience in soil-structure related projects.
Dr Dilan Robert is an expert in geotechnical engineering and soil-structure interaction modelling. He has over 12 years experience in onshore and offshore soil-structure interaction projects. He works in the areas of onshore/offshore pipelines, unsaturated soils, offshore geotechnics, constitutive modelling and road pavements.
Areas of research and consulting expertise
- Onshore/Offshore pipelines
- Unsaturated Soils
- Offshore Geotechnics
- Constitutive Modelling of Soil & Concrete
- Road Pavements
- Soil Scour
Awards and Honours
- RMIT Research Excellence Team Award 2017
- Director of Research & Education in CPEAP Ltd.
- Professional Civil Engineer accredited by Engineers, Australia.
- Contribution to the Rankine Lecture, 2009 (The most prestigious of the invited lectures in geotechnics).
- Cambridge Commonwealth Trust Scholarship (2006-2010) to read for Ph.D. at Cambridge University, UK.
- Gold Medal for the best Civil Engineering Graduate, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 2005.
- Dean’s Honours List, Faculty of Engineering, University of Moratuwa, 2002, 2003 & 2004.
- The top rank in the representing district for G.C.E.(A/L) examination, 1999, Sri Lanka.
View Dr Robert’s publications at his Google Scholar page.
Invited Reviews (Selected)
- ARC Discovery, Linkage and DECRA Projects
- Elsevier Books
- ASCE – Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental
- Canadian Geotechnical Journal
- Computers and Geotechnics Elsevier
- ASCE – Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering
- Construction & Building Materials Elsevier
- Ocean Engineering Elsevier
- Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering
- Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology Elsevier
- ASCE – Journal of Pipeline Systems Engineering and Practice
- Geotechnical and Geological Engineering Springer
- Engineers Australia Technical Journals
- CIVE1108 Geotechnical Engineering 2
- CIVE1178 Geotechnical Engineering 1
- CIVE1185 Engineering Practice 1
- Representative academic in Civil Engineering undergraduate selection for Bachelor of Engineering (Civil and Infrastructure).
- Fifth Year Coordinator for Bachelor of Engineering (Civil and Infrastructure) (Honours)/Bachelor of Business (Management)
- Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching and Learning, RMIT University, Australia, 2014.
- PhD in Engineering, University of Cambridge, UK, 2011.
- B.Sc. Engineering Honours (1st Class & Gold Medallist), University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 2005.
Senior Lecturer, RMIT University, Australia (2018-present)
Dilan is a Senior Lecturer in Engineering at RMIT University.
Lecturer, RMIT University, Australia (2014-2017)
Research Fellow, Monash University, Australia (2012-2014)
Dilan worked as a research fellow at Monash University for 2 years in the research project of advanced condition assessment and failure prediction technology for critical pipes. He worked mainly in responsible of assessing the deformations/stress states of buried corroded water pipes (cast iron and steel) due to internal and external loadings, using numerical modelling tools.
Geotechnical Engineer, KW Ltd, London, UK (2010-2012)
At KW, Ltd, Dilan worked as a subsea geotechnical engineering on various offshore pipeline projects in responsible of upheaval buckling analysis, reliability analysis, shore approach, slope stability, trencheability, expansion, pile design, backfilling assessments, settlement calculations and geotechnical data review.
Doctorate Researcher, Cambridge University, UK (2006-2010)
Dilan conducted his PhD on Soil-Pipeline interaction in unsaturated soils under the supervision of Prof. Kenichi Soga and Prof. Malcolm Bolton. This was a collaborative research work between Cambridge University UK, Cornell University US (with the coordination of Prof. Tom O'Rourke) and Tokyo Gas Japan.
Civil Engineer, State Engineering Corporation (SEC), Sri Lanka (2005-2006)
At SEC, Dilan has experienced in all aspects of casting the pre-stressed and precast concrete structures such as bridge beams, electricity transition poles, hume pipes, hollow blocks, building components and other precast reinforced concrete items. Further, he managed more than 150 direct labourers at the construction site and worked in coordination with the subordinate staff.
Research Engineer, Lanka Hydraulic Institute (LHI), Sri Lanka (2004-2005)
Dilan worked as a mathematical modeller at LHI for the construction of fishing harbours and ports.
- Sidiq, A.,Robert, D.,Gravina, R.,Giustozzi, F. (2021). Coupled FEM-microstructural X-ray examination of a controlled internal damage approach for concrete samples In: Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering, 21, 1 - 20
- Karami, H.,Pooni, J.,Robert, D.,Costa, S.,Li, J.,Setunge, S. (2021). Use of secondary additives in fly ash based soil stabilization for soft subgrades In: Transportation Geotechnics, 29, 1 - 20
- Dissanayake, A.,Venkatesan, S.,Robert, D.,Setunge, S. (2021). Damage integrated performance modelling of steel plate girders at elevated temperature In: Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 185, 1 - 17
- Pooni, J.,Robert, D.,Gunasekara, C.,Giustozzi, F.,Setunge, S. (2021). Mechanism of Enzyme Stabilization for Expansive Soils Using Mechanical and Microstructural Investigation In: International Journal of Geomechanics, 21, 1 - 15
- Venkatesan, S.,Droniou, J.,Roy, I.,Robert, D.,Zhou, A. (2021). Application of diffusion-advection equations to in-field monitoring of soil suction profiles In: Computers and Geotechnics, 139, 1 - 18
- Cugnetto, P.,Robert, D.,Kajtaz, M. (2021). Improved Design Guidelines for Pipelines Subjected to Vertical Fault Movement in Dry Sand In: Journal of Pipeline Systems Engineering and Practice, 12, 1 - 14
- Seneviratne, R.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Setunge, S.,Robert, D. (2021). Long-Term Mechanical Properties of Geopolymer Aggregate Concrete In: ACI Structural Journal, 118, 135 - 147
- Thusyanthan, I.,Robert, D. (2021). Uplift Resistance of Pipelines Buried in Compacted and Uncompacted Sands Using Field Tests In: Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 147, 1 - 9
- Xin, Y.,Kurmus, H.,Mohajerani, A.,Dallol, Y.,Lao, Y.,Robert, D.,Pramanik, B.,Tran, J. (2021). Recycling Crushed Waste Beer Bottle Glass in Fired Clay Bricks In: Buildings, 11, 1 - 14
- Robert, D.,Baez, E.,Setunge, S. (2021). A new technology of transforming recycled glass waste to construction components In: Construction and Building Materials, 313, 1 - 10
- Novel Recycled Plastic Products for Structural Applications. Funded by: Sustainability Victoria - Recycling Victoria Research & Development Fund from (2022 to 2024)
- ARC Research Hub for Transformation of Reclaimed Waste Resources to Engineered Materials and Solutions for a Circular Economy (TREMS). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub 2018 onwards from (2021 to 2026)
- Development of high content recycled glass building material technology. Funded by: CRC-P Cooperative Research Centre Project (Livefield) from (2021 to 2023)
- IH18.04.4a: Optimisation of pavement fund allocation for pavement rehabilitation based on pavement condition data and remaining life cycle analytics (administered by Monash University). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub via other University Grant 2019 from (2019 to 2024)
- IH18.04.4b: Development of a smart pavement asset management platform combining traffic models, pavement construction data, condition assessment data, traffic management, multi-sensor information and optimised rehabilitation strategies (administered by Monash University). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub via other University Grant 2019 from (2019 to 2024)
16 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions7 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions