Dr Robert is a lecturer in Civil Engineering at RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia. He obtained his PhD from Cambridge University, UK in 2011. Dr Robert has over 10 years research and industry experience in soil-structure interaction projects.
Dr Dilan Robert is an expert in geotechnical engineering and soil-structure interaction modelling. He has over 10 years experience in offshore and onshore soil-structure interaction projects. He works in the areas of onshore/offshore soil-structure interaction analysis, unsaturated soils, offshore geotechnics, constitutive modelling and pavement stabilization.
Areas of research and consulting expertise
- Onshore/ffshore Soil-Structure Interaction Analysis
- Unsaturated Soils
- Offshore Geotechnics
- Constitutive Modelling
- Pavement Stabilization
Awards and Honours
- Professional Civil Engineer accredited by Engineers, Australia.
- Keynote Lecture at JLU international conference, India on 28th January 2016.
- Contribution to the Rankine Lecture, 2009.
- Cambridge Commonwealth Trust Scholarship to read for Ph.D. at Cambridge University, UK, 2006-2010.
- Gold Medal for the best Civil Engineering Graduate, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 2005.
- Member of Institute of Marine Engineers, UK
- Associate member of Institute of Engineers, Sri Lanka
- Reviewer of Canadian Geotechnical Journal
- Reviewer of Elsevier (Computers and Geotechnics)
- Reviewer of ASCE (Pipelines, Materials)
PhD Research supervision
Dr. Robert is a Category 1 registered supervisor
- Chamal Randeniya (PhD), ‘Risk assessment of corroded pipes buried in partially saturated soils’
- Manuka Wimalasiri (PhD), ‘Assessment of the performance of buried infrastructure subjected to loading’
- Rintu Renjith (PhD), ‘Stabilizing unbound road pavements using enzymes’
- Zeinab Yazdanfar (PhD), ‘Prediction of scour on bridge piers due to waves and currents’
- Muhammad Wasim (PhD), ‘External corrosion assessment in buried pipes subjecting to mechanical degradation’
- Weigang Wang (PhD), ‘Reliability analysis of buried metal pipes’
- Amila Dissanayake (PhD), ‘Resilience models for composite bridges exposed to accidental and bush fires’
- CIVE1178 Geotechnical Engineering 1
- CIVE1108 Geotechnical Engineering 2
- CIVE1185 Engineering Practice 1
Representative academic in Civil Engineering undergraduate selection for Bachelor of Engineering (Civil and Infrastructure).
- Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching and Learning, RMIT University, Australia, 2014.
- PhD in Engineering, University of Cambridge, UK, 2011.
- B.Sc. Engineering Honours (1st Class & Gold Medallist), University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 2005.
Lecturer, RMIT University, Australia (2014-present)
Dilan is a lecturer in Civil Engineering at RMIT University.
Research Fellow, Monash University, Australia (2012-2014)
Dilan worked as a research fellow at Monash University for 2 years in the research project of advanced condition assessment and failure prediction technology for critical pipes. He worked mainly in responsible of assessing the deformations/stress states of buried corroded water pipes (cast iron and steel) due to internal and external loadings, using implicit as well as explicit numerical modelling tools.
Geotechnical Engineer, KW Ltd, London, UK (2010-2012)
At KW, Ltd, Dilan worked as a subsea geotechnical engineering on various offshore pipeline projects in responsible of upheaval buckling analysis, reliability analysis, shore approach, slope stability, trencheability, expansion, pile design, backfilling assessments, settlement calculations and geotechnical data review.
Doctorate Researcher, Cambridge University, UK (2006-2010)
Dilan conducted his PhD on Soil-Pipeline interaction in unsaturated soils under the supervision of Prof. Kenichi Soga and Prof. Malcolm Bolton. This was a collaborative research work between Cambridge University UK, Cornell University US (with the coordination of Prof. Tom O'Rourke) and Tokyo Gas Japan.
Civil Engineer, State Engineering Corporation (SEC), Sri Lanka (2005-2006)
At SEC, Dilan has experienced in all aspects of casting the pre-stressed and precast concrete structures such as bridge beams, electricity transition poles, hume pipes, hollow blocks, building components and other precast reinforced concrete items. Further, he managed more than 150 direct labourers at the construction site and worked in coordination with the subordinate staff.
Research Engineer, Lanka Hydraulic Institute (LHI), Sri Lanka (2004-2005)
Dilan worked as a mathematical modeller at LHI for the construction of fishing harbours and ports.
- Robert, D.,Thusyanthan, N. (2018). Uplift resistance of buried pipelines in partially saturated sands In: Computers and Geotechnics, 97, 7 - 19
- Jiang, R.,Robert, D.,Hutchinson, C.,Zhao, X.,Kodikara, J. (2017). Leak-before-break in cast iron mains: a failure analysis of a catastrophic pipe burst on Harris Street, Sydney In: Water Practice and Technology, 12, 1 - 8
- Wang, W.,Zhou, A.,Fu, G.,Li, C.,Robert, D.,Mahmoodian, M. (2017). Evaluation of stress intensity factor for cast iron pipes with sharp corrosion pits In: Engineering Failure Analysis, 81, 254 - 269
- Robert, D. (2017). A modified Mohr-Coulomb model to simulate the behavior of pipelines in unsaturated soils In: Computers and Geotechnics, 91, 146 - 160
- Wang, W.,Robert, D.,Fu, G.,Zhou, A.,Li, C. (2017). Service life prediction of underground cast iron pipes subjected to pitting corrosion In: Proceedings of the12th International Conference on Structural Safety and Reliability (ICOSSAR 2017), Vienna, Austria, 6-10 August 2017
- Renjith, R.,Robert, D.,Fuller, A.,Setunge, S.,O'Donnell, B.,Nucifora, R. (2017). Enzyme based soil stabilization for unpaved road construction In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference of Euro Asia Civil Engineering (EACEF 2017), Seoul, South Korea, 22 -25 August 2017
- Singh, J.,Robert, D.,Wang, P.,Giustozzi, F.,Mahmoodian, M.,Setunge, S.,O'Donnell, B. (2017). Stability assessment of enzyme stabilized road embankments In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference of Euro Asia Civil Engineering (EACEF 2017), Seoul, South Korea, 22 -25 August 2017
- Robert, D.,Thusyanthan, N. (2017). Uplift resistance and mobilization of buried pipelines in unsaturated sands In: Proceedings of the 2nd Pan American Conference on Unsaturated Soils PanAm-UNSAT 2017, Dallas, Texas, United States, 12-15 November 2017
- Wasim, M.,Robert, D.,Li, C.,Mahmoodian, M. (2017). Corrosion behaviour of pipes in soil and in simulated soil solution In: Proceedings of the 2017 Corrosion and Prevention Conference, Sydney, Australia, 12-15 November 2017
- Li, C.,Wang, W.,Robert, D.,Zhou, A. (2017). Investigation of corrosion effect on underground metal pipes In: Proceedings of the Corrosion and Prevention 2017 Conference (CAP 2017), Sydney, Australia, 12-15 November 2017
- Nano science based construction materials manufacturing (Administered by Monash Uni). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub grant 2016 from (2017 to 2022)
- Deterioration modeling of bridge structures using visual inspection data (Administered by Monash University). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub grant 2016 from (2017 to 2019)
- The use of brown coal ash as a replacement of cement in concrete masonry bricks (Administered by Monash Uni). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub grant 2016 from (2016 to 2021)
- Ian Potter Travel Grant for AP-UNSAT 2015 conference, Guilin, China; and to visit University of Cambridge, UK 20-26 October 2015.. Funded by: Ian Potter Foundation Travel Grant 2015 Round 2 from (2015 to 2015)
8 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions