Stephen Rowley is a lecturer in Urban Planning with RMIT's School of Global, Urban and Social Studies, specialising in areas of planning systems and practice.
Stephen's research focuses on planning systems, planning practice, regulatory design, and the cultural depiction of cities and towns. His first book, Movie Towns and Sitcom Suburbs: Building Hollywood's Ideal Communities, was published in 2015. His second book, The Victorian Planning System: Practice, Problems, and Prospects, was published in 2017.
Stephen is a practising urban planner, working as an independent consultant and Planning Editor of the Victorian Planning Reports. He is a former Vice President and Policy Convenor of the Planning Institute of Australia Victorian Division. He is also a former co-editor of the magazine Planning News.
Stephen's teaching focuses on planning systems and practice.
He teaches the following courses:
- ARCH1059: Statutory Planning and Environmental Regulation
- ARCH1461: Advanced Statutory Planning
- ARCH1276: Professional Practice and Ethics in Planning
- PhD, University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours), University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Planning and Design, University of Melbourne
As a practising urban planner, Stephen has worked in the industry for nearly twenty years in local and state government, and as an independent consultant. He has been an active commentator on the industry during that time, with a particular focus on planning system reform, publishing in Planning News, The Age, and Crikey.
Industry roles undertaken include:
- Vice President of the Planning Institute of Australia Victorian Division (October 2014 - October 2015)
- Policy Convenor of the Planning Institute of Australia Victorian Division (October 2012 - July 2014)
- Committee Member of the Planning Institute of Australia Victorian Division (June 2011 - May 2016)
- Co-editor, Planning News (June 2007 - December 2010)
- Planning Editor, Victorian Planning Reports (July 2013 - present)
- Taylor, E.,Rowley, S. (2018). Written in pencil or in ink: Private covenants and their legacies for housing and planning in Victoria In: Proceedings of the 8th State of Australian Cities National Conference (SOAC 2017), Adelaide, South Australia, 28-30 November 2017
- Rowley, S. (2017). The Victorian Planning System: Practice, Problems and Prospects, Federation Press, Sydney, Australia
- Rowley, S. (2015). Movie towns and sitcom suburbs: building Hollywood's ideal communities, Palgrave Macmillan, New York, United States
- Rowley, S.,Hurley, J. (2015). Impact of monetary costs on citizen appeals of planning decisions In: Proceedings of the State of Australian Cities National Conference 2015, Gold Coast, Australia, 9-11 December 2015