Flora Salim is an Associate Professor in the Computer Science and IT department in the School of Science, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia and the Deputy Director of RMIT Centre for Information Discovery and Data Analytics (CIDDA).
Flora leads the IoT Analytics node, or the Context Recognition and Urban Intelligence (CRUISE) group, working on human mobility and behaviour analytics, context and activity recognition, urban computing, and applying machine learning for smart cities and smart buildings.
She is a recipient of Humboldt Fellowship for experienced researchers. She is a Victoria Fellow 2018, a highly-competitive merit-based award from the Victorian Government. She received the School of Science Executive Dean's Research Excellence Award in Feb 2019. She is the recipient of the RMIT Award for Research Impact - Technology 2018, and was the recipient of the RMIT Vice-Chancellor's Award for Research Excellence – Early Career Researcher 2016. Previously, she was an Australian Research Council (ARC) Postdoctoral Industry (APDI) Fellow in 2012-2015, in a project on multimodal transport services and smart airport services with PTV formerly, and later with ARUP. Dr. Salim has been awarded two ARC linkage grants, a Discovery, and numerous national and international industry contracts, in collaboration with Microsoft, IBM, Northrop Grumman Corporations, Arup, City of Melbourne (CoM), Mornington Peninsula Shire (MPS), Siemens, Aurecon, and others.
She received her PhD award from Monash University in May 2009.
She is an Editorial Board member (Area Editor) of Pervasive and Mobile Computing. She is an Associate Editor of the PACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT), the journal publication of Ubicomp. She is an expert member of IEA EBC (International Energy Agency's Energy in Buildings and Communities programme) Annex 79. She recently served as a TPC Vice-Chair of IEEE PerCom 2018 and an expert committee of the JPI Urban Europe and National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) calls on Sustainable and Liveable Cities and Urban Areas. She is a regular reviewer for ACM TOIT, IEEE THMS, IEEE TKDD, IEEE T-ITS, IEEE TSC, IEEE TCC, PMC, and Springer DAMI journal.
- Saiedur Rahaman, M.,Pare, H.,Liono, J.,Salim, F.,Ren, Y.,Chan, J.,Kudo, S.,Rawling, T.,Sinickas, A. (2019). OccuSpace: Towards a Robust Occupancy Prediction System for Activity Based Workplace In: 2019 IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications Workshops (PerCom Workshops), Kyoto, Japan, 11-15 March 2019
- Shao, W.,Zhang, Y.,Guo, B.,Qin, K.,Chan, J.,Salim, F. (2019). Parking Availability Prediction with Long Short Term Memory Model In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Green, Pervasive, and Cloud Computing (GPC 2018), Hangzhou, China, 11-13 May 2018
- Masoomeh, Z.,Sadri, A.,Ghafoori, Z.,Moshtaghi, M.,Salim, F.,Leckie, C.,Ramamohanarao, K. (2019). (In Press) Unsupervised online change point detection in high-dimensional time series In: Knowledge and Information Systems, , 1 - 32
- Hashem, T.,Jahan, R.,Salim, F.,Barua, S. (2019). Efficient trip scheduling algorithms for groups In: Information Systems, 84, 145 - 173
- Song, H.,Qin, A.,Salim, F. (2019). Evolutionary model construction for electricity consumption prediction In: Neural Computing and Applications, , 1 - 18
- Gao, N.,Shao, W.,Salim, F. (2019). Predicting Personality Traits from Physical Activity Intensity In: Computer, 52, 47 - 56
- Liono, J.,Salim, F.,van Berkel, N.,Kostakos, V.,Qin, K. (2019). Improving Experience Sampling with Multi-view User-driven Annotation Prediction In: Proceedings of the 17th IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom 2019), Kyoto, Japan, 11-15 March 2019
- Liu, H.,Liu, H.,Wang, X.,Shao, W.,Wang, X.,Du, J.,Liono, J.,Salim, F. (2019). SmartMeeting: An Novel Mobile Voice Meeting Minutes Generation and Analysis System In: Mobile Networks and Applications, , 1 - 16
- Liono, J.,Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Saiedur Rahaman, M.,Ren, Y.,Salim, F.,Sanderson, M.,Scholer, F.,White, R. (2019). Building a Benchmark for Task Progress in Digital Assistants In: Proceedings of Task Intelligence Workshop at WSDM 2019, Melbourne, Australia, February 11th--15th, 2019
- Shao, W.,Salim, F.,Chan, J.,Qin, K.,Ma, J.,Feest, B. (2019). OnlineAirTrajClus: An Online Aircraft Trajectory Clustering for Tarmac Situation Awareness In: IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications, Japan, 11-15 March 2019
- Mornington Peninsula Smart Parking and Amenities for High Demand Areas (administered by Mornington Peninsula Shire Council). Funded by: Smart Cities and Suburbs Program - 2017 onwards from (2019 to 2020)
- Multi-resolution Situation Recognition for Urban-Aware Smart Assistant. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2019 from (2019 to 2022)
- Archistar Innovation Connection Grant. Funded by: Archistar Pty Ltd Contract from (2019 to 2020)
- Predicting Workforce Planning -�Pursuing a Predictable Workforce in a Dynamic Geopolitical Region, with an Evolving Labour Market � how can Air Force Optimally Deliver National Air Power? (PhD Student: Shakila Khan Rumi). Funded by: Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute Internship from (2019 to 2020)
- A cyber physical and socially aware personal assistant. Funded by: Microsoft Corporation (USA) - research grant 2018 from (2018 to 2020)
10 PhD Current Supervisions8 PhD Completions