Flora Salim is an Associate Professor in the Computer Science and IT department in the School of Science, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia and the Deputy Director of RMIT Centre for Information Discovery and Data Analytics (CIDDA).
Flora leads the IoT Analytics node, or the Context Recognition and Urban Intelligence (CRUISE) group, working on human mobility and behaviour analytics, context and activity recognition, urban computing, and applying machine learning for smart cities and smart buildings.
She is a recipient of Humboldt Fellowship for experienced researchers. She is a Victoria Fellow 2018, a highly-competitive merit-based award from the Victorian Government. She received the School of Science Executive Dean's Research Excellence Award in Feb 2019. She is the recipient of the RMIT Award for Research Impact - Technology 2018, and was the recipient of the RMIT Vice-Chancellor's Award for Research Excellence – Early Career Researcher 2016. Previously, she was an Australian Research Council (ARC) Postdoctoral Industry (APDI) Fellow in 2012-2015, in a project on multimodal transport services and smart airport services with PTV formerly, and later with ARUP. Dr. Salim has been awarded two ARC linkage grants, a Discovery, and numerous national and international industry contracts, in collaboration with Microsoft, IBM, Northrop Grumman Corporations, Arup, City of Melbourne (CoM), Mornington Peninsula Shire (MPS), Siemens, Aurecon, and others.
She received her PhD award from Monash University in May 2009.
She is an Editorial Board member (Area Editor) of Pervasive and Mobile Computing. She is an Associate Editor of the PACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT), the journal publication of Ubicomp. She is an expert member of IEA EBC (International Energy Agency's Energy in Buildings and Communities programme) Annex 79. She recently served as a TPC Vice-Chair of IEEE PerCom 2018 and an expert committee of the JPI Urban Europe and National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) calls on Sustainable and Liveable Cities and Urban Areas. She is a regular reviewer for ACM TOIT, IEEE THMS, IEEE TKDD, IEEE T-ITS, IEEE TSC, IEEE TCC, PMC, and Springer DAMI journal.
- Kj�rgaard, M.,Ardakanian, O.,Carlucci, S.,Dong, B.,Gao, N.,Saiedur Rahaman, M.,Salim, F., et al, . (2020). Current practices and infrastructure for open data based research on occupant-centric design and operation of buildings In: Building and Environment, 177, 1 - 13
- Rumi, S.,Shao, W.,Salim, F. (2020). Realtime Predictive Patrolling and Routing with Mobility and Emergency Calls Data In: Proceedings of the 14th International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM 2020), Atlanta, Georgia, United States, 8 - 11 June 2020
- Shao, W.,Tan, S.,Zhao, S.,Qin, K.,Hei, X.,Chan, J.,Salim, F. (2020). Incorporating LSTM Auto-Encoders in Optimizations to Solve Parking Officer Patrolling Problem In: ACM Transactions on Spatial Algorithms and Systems, 6, 1 - 21
- Chai, Z.,Freitas, P.,Shao, W.,Salim, F. (2020). GeSe-Based Ovonic Threshold Switching Volatile True Random Number Generator In: IEEE Electron Device Letters, 41, 228 - 231
- Ali, A.,Salim, F.,Kim, D. (2020). DroTrack: High-speed Drone-based Object Tracking Under Uncertainty In: Proceedings of the IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (IEEE WCCI 2020), Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom, 19-24 July 2020
- Saiedur Rahaman, M.,Liono, J.,Ren, Y.,Chan, J.,Kudo, S.,Rawling, T.,Salim, F. (2020). An Ambient-Physical System to Infer Concentration in Open-plan Workplace In: IEEE Internet of Things Journal, , 1 - 10
- Liono, J.,Saiedur Rahaman, M.,Salim, F.,Ren, Y.,Spina, D.,Scholer, F.,Trippas, J.,Sanderson, M.,Bennett, P.,White, R. (2020). Intelligent Task Recognition: Towards Enabling Productivity Assistance in Daily Life In: ICMR '20: Proceedings of the 2020 International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval, Dublin, Ireland, 26-29 October 2020
- Turky, A.,Saiedur Rahaman, M.,Shao, W.,Salim, F.,Bradbrook, D.,Song, A. (2020). Deep Learning Assisted Memetic Algorithm for Shortest Route Problems In: ICCS 2020: Computational Science, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 3-5 June, 2020
- Salim, F.,Dong, B.,Ouf, M.,Rumi, S.,Saiedur Rahaman, M., et al, . (2020). Modelling urban-scale occupant behaviour, mobility, and energy in buildings: A survey In: Building and Environment, 183, 1 - 20
- Shao, W.,Chan, J.,Salim, F. (2020). Approximating Optimisation Solutions for the Travelling Officer Problem with Neural Networks In: Proceedings of the�2020 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN 2020), Glasgow, United Kingdom, 19-24 July 2020
- NEXUS: Explainable and Unified Spatial Reasoning and Sensor Fusion (Phase 2). Funded by: Defence Science and Technology Group - Contract from (2020 to 2022)
- Drone-based crowd monitoring Qatar National Research Fund Application - DroneCMS: Flying Infrastructure for Intelligent Crowd Management and Security for Mega Events (Administered by Qatar University).. Funded by: Qatar National Research Fund (ONGOING) from (2020 to 2022)
- Mornington Peninsula Smart Parking and Amenities for High Demand Areas (administered by Mornington Peninsula Shire Council). Funded by: Smart Cities and Suburbs Program - 2017 onwards from (2019 to 2020)
- Multi-resolution Situation Recognition for Urban-Aware Smart Assistant. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2019 from (2019 to 2022)
- Archistar Innovation Connection Grant. Funded by: Archistar Pty Ltd Contract from (2019 to 2020)
10 PhD Completions10 PhD Current Supervisions