Flora Salim is an Associate Professor in the Computer Science and IT department in the School of Science, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia and the Deputy Director of RMIT Centre for Information Discovery and Data Analytics (CIDDA).
Flora leads the IoT Analytics node, or the Context Recognition and Urban Intelligence (CRUISE) group, working on human mobility and behaviour analytics, context and activity recognition, urban computing, and applying machine learning for smart cities and smart buildings.
She is a recipient of Humboldt Fellowship for experienced researchers. She is a Victoria Fellow 2018, a highly-competitive merit-based award from the Victorian Government. She received the School of Science Executive Dean's Research Excellence Award in Feb 2019. She is the recipient of the RMIT Award for Research Impact - Technology 2018, and was the recipient of the RMIT Vice-Chancellor's Award for Research Excellence – Early Career Researcher 2016. Previously, she was an Australian Research Council (ARC) Postdoctoral Industry (APDI) Fellow in 2012-2015, in a project on multimodal transport services and smart airport services with PTV formerly, and later with ARUP. Dr. Salim has been awarded two ARC linkage grants, a Discovery, and numerous national and international industry contracts, in collaboration with Microsoft, IBM, Northrop Grumman Corporations, Arup, City of Melbourne (CoM), Mornington Peninsula Shire (MPS), Siemens, Aurecon, and others.
She received her PhD award from Monash University in May 2009.
She is an Editorial Board member (Area Editor) of Pervasive and Mobile Computing. She is an Associate Editor of the PACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT), the journal publication of Ubicomp. She is an expert member of IEA EBC (International Energy Agency's Energy in Buildings and Communities programme) Annex 79. She recently served as a TPC Vice-Chair of IEEE PerCom 2018 and an expert committee of the JPI Urban Europe and National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) calls on Sustainable and Liveable Cities and Urban Areas. She is a regular reviewer for ACM TOIT, IEEE THMS, IEEE TKDD, IEEE T-ITS, IEEE TSC, IEEE TCC, PMC, and Springer DAMI journal.
- Liono, J.,Jayaraman, P.,Qin, A.,Nguyen, T.,Salim, F. (2019). QDaS: Quality driven data summarisation for effective storage management in Internet of Things In: Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 127, 196 - 208
- Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Scholer, F.,Hassan, A.,Bailey, P.,Bennett, P.,White, R.,Liono, J.,Ren, Y.,Salim, F.,Sanderson, M. (2019). Learning About Work Tasks to Inform Intelligent Assistant Design In: CHIIR '19 Proceedings of the 2019 Conference on Human Information Interaction and Retrieval, Glasgow, Scotland UK, March 10 - 14, 2019
- Liono, J.,Abdallah, Z.,Qin, A.,Salim, F. (2018). Inferring Transportation Mode and Human Activity from Mobile Sensing in Daily Life In: Proceedings of the 15th EAI International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Computing, Networking and Services (MobiQuitous 2018), New York City, United States, 5-7 November 2018
- Liu, H.,Wang, X.,Wei, Y.,Shao, W.,Liono, J.,Salim, F.,Bo, D.,Du, J. (2018). ProMETheus: An Intelligent Mobile Voice Meeting Minutes System In: Proceedings of the 15th EAI International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Computing, Networking and Services, New York, NY, USA, 5-7 November 2018
- Fairbrother, P.,Douglas, N.,Denham, T.,Salim, F.,West, M.,Teng, S. (2018). Gippsland Food value chain: Data driven regional development In: CRC Food Agility Australia
- Ning, X.,Yao, L.,Wang, X.,Benatallah, B.,Salim, F.,Haghighi, P. (2018). Predicting Citywide Passenger Demand via Reinforcement Learning from Spatio-Temporal Dynamics In: Proceedings of the 15th EAI International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Computing, Networking and Services, New York, USA, November 05 - 07, 2018
- Kaur, M.,Salim, F.,Ren, Y.,Chan, J.,Tomko, M.,Sanderson, M. (2018). Shopping intent recognition and location prediction from cyber-physical activities via Wi-Fi logs In: Proceedings of the 5th Conference on Systems for Built Environments, Shenzhen, China, 07-08 November 2018
- Rumi, S.,Deng, K.,Salim, F. (2018). Crime event prediction with dynamic features In: EPJ Data Science, 7, 1 - 27
- Rumi, S.,Deng, K.,Salim, F. (2018). Theft prediction with individual risk factor of visitors In: Proceedings of the 26th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems, Seattle, United States, 06-09 November 2018
- Shao, W.,Nguyen, T.,Qin, K.,Youssef, M.,Salim, F. (2018). BLEDoorGuard: A Device-Free Person Identification Framework Using Bluetooth Signals for Door Access In: IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 5, 5227 - 5239
- Mornington Peninsula Smart Parking and Amenities for High Demand Areas (administered by Mornington Peninsula Shire Council). Funded by: Smart Cities and Suburbs Program - 2017 onwards from (2019 to 2020)
- Multi-resolution Situation Recognition for Urban-Aware Smart Assistant. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2019 from (2019 to 2021)
- A cyber physical and socially aware personal assistant. Funded by: Microsoft Corporation (USA) - research grant 2018 from (2018 to 2019)
- Rygbee Campus. Funded by: Rygbee USA - Scholarship from (2018 to 2022)
- Swarming: micro-flight data capture and analysis in architectural design (Administered by Swinburne University). Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2015 Round 1 from (2017 to 2020)
11 PhD Current Supervisions8 PhD Completions