Dr Falk Scholer is a research and teaching academic in the School of Computer Science and IT.
His research is in the domain of information retrieval, the study of storing, analysing and retrieving information. Information retrieval has many applications, the best known of which are probably web search engines such as Google and Bing.
Particular issues that Dr Scholer's research focuses on include:
- evaluation of information retrieval systems
- relevance and user perceptions
- document summarisation
- interactive search and user modelling
- web and enterprise search engines.
A list of Dr Scholer's publications is available on Google Scholar.
More information about his research and teaching is available at his personal website.
- Research supervision
- Lecturer, Scripting Language Programming (COSC 1092/1093)
- Lecturer, Information Retrieval (ISYS 1078/1079)
PhD, MSc, BSc
- Yulianti, E.,Chen, R.,Scholer, F.,Croft, B.,Sanderson, M. (2018). Document summarization for answering non-factoid queries In: IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 30, 15 - 28
- Ong, K.,Jarvelin, K.,Sanderson, M.,Scholer, F. (2018). QWERTY: The effects of typing on web search behavior In: Proceedings of the 2018 Conference on Human Information Interaction�and Retrieval (CHIIR'18), New Brunswick, United States, March 11 - 15, 2018
- MacKenzie, J.,MacDonald, C.,Scholer, F.,Culpepper, J. (2018). On the cost of negation for dynamic pruning In: Proceedings of the 40th European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR 2018), Grenoble, France, 26-29 March 2018
- Salehi, B.,Spina, D.,Moffat, A.,Sadeghi, S.,Scholer, F.,Baldwin, T.,Cavedon, L.,Sanderson, M.,Wong, W.,Zobel, J. (2018). A living lab study of query amendment in job search In: Proceedings of SIGIR '18: The 41st International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research & Development in Information Retrieval, Ann Arbor, United States, 8-12 July 2018
- Moffat, A.,Bailey, P.,Scholer, F.,Thomas, P. (2017). Incorporating user expectations and behavior into the measurement of search effectiveness In: ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS), 35, 1 - 38
- Sadeghi, S.,Blanco Gonzalez, R.,Mika, P.,Sanderson, M.,Scholer, F.,David, V. (2017). Re-finding behaviour in vertical domains In: ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS), 35, 1 - 30
- Mourad, A.,Scholer, F.,Sanderson, M. (2017). Language influences on tweeter geolocation In: Proceedings of the 39th European Conference on IR Research (ECIR 2017), Aberdeen, United Kingdom, 8-13 April 2017
- Chen, R.,Azzopardi, L.,Scholer, F. (2017). An Empirical Analysis of Pruning Techniques: Performance, Retrievability and Bias In: CIKM '17 Proceedings of the 2017 ACM on Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, Singapore, 6-10 November 2017
- Spina, D.,Maistro, M.,Ren, Y.,Sadeghi, S.,Wong, W.,Baldwin, T.,Cavedon, L.,Moffat, A.,Sanderson, M.,Scholer, F.,Zobel, J. (2017). Understanding User Behavior in Job and Talent Search: An Initial Investigation In: 2017 SIGIR Workshop on eCommerce, Tokyo, Japan, 11 August 2017
- MacKenzie, J.,Scholer, F.,Culpepper, J. (2017). Early Termination Heuristics for Score-at-a-Time Index Traversal In: Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Australasian Document Computing Symposium, Brisbane, Australia, 7-8 December 2017
- Finding answers for complex questions. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2018 from (2018 to 2020)
- A cyber physical and socially aware personal assistant. Funded by: Microsoft Corporation (USA) - research grant 2018 from (2018 to 2019)
- User-Adaptive Search and Evaluation for Complex Information-Seeking Tasks. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2015 Round 1 from (2016 to 2019)
- A Learning to Rank Framework for Entity Centrality. Funded by: Abbrevi8 Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2016)
- Magnitude Estimation for the Evaluation of Search Systems. Funded by: Google Faculty Research Awards Round 1 Grant 2015 from (2015 to 2020)
15 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions8 PhD Current Supervisions