Areas of research and consulting expertise
- Radar warning receivers
- Nonlinear device modelling (GaAs FET and InP HBT devices)
- Computer-aided microwave measurement techniques
- Application of dual-gate FET circuits to high-speed fibre-optic systems
- High-speed digital applications of FET circuits
- High efficiency microwave power amplifiers
- Low-noise microwave amplifiers
- Wideband active antennas: GSM/PCS applications
- Dual frequency active antennas: GPS applications
- Computer optimisation of microstrip patch antennas, wideband passive circuits, multi-octave passive circuits.
- IEEE Colloquium on Teaching and Research in Microwave and Electromagnetic Engineering: An Australian Perspective, University of Technology, Sydney, 24th September 1999, “Teaching and Research in Microwave and Electromagnetic Engineering at the Department of Communication and Electronic Engineering, RMIT University”.
- IEEE 1992 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, August 1992, Session Chair.
- March 1992. “Advanced RF CAE/CAD Tools in an Integrated Environment” for the IREE Melbourne Division. Invited lecture.
- B.Eng (Communication Eng, with Distinction), 1979, RMIT
- M.Eng, 1982, RMIT
- PhD, 2003, The University of Melbourne
- 2003 - present, Discipline Director of Communication Engineering, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT.
- 2001 - 2003, Acting Discipline Director of Communication Engineering, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT.
- 1996 - 2001, Senior Lecturer, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering/Department of Communication and Electronic Engineering, RMIT.
- 1987 - 1996, Lecturer, Department of Communication and Electronic Engineering, RMIT.
- 1982 - 1985, Part-time tutor/demonstrator, Electrical and Electronic Eng. Department, University of Melbourne
- 1981 - 1982, Microwave and RF design engineer, Consolidated Technology (Aust.) Pty. Ltd.
- 1979 - 1981, Part-time tutor/demonstrator, Department of Communication and Electronic Engineering, RMIT.
Affiliations and professional memberships
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.
- Advanced Communication Technologies Pty Ltd, WINET Project, 2000–2001: Development of Smart Antenna technologies for 3G Mobile Communication Base Stations. Smart Antenna Team Leader responsible for development of DSP algorithms, RF hardware and antenna designs for a Smart Antenna-enabled base station.
- MITEC Ltd, March 1997 - Feb. 1998: Consultant Design Engineer to MITEC Ltd, working on the design and fabrication of a microwave radar warning receiver under a sub-contract to British Aerospace (Australia).
- British Aerospace Australia, 1996–1997: ESM Hybrids project. Development of microwave receivers for Electronic Surveillance Measures applications for the RAAF.
- Department of Defence, 1995–1996: Defence Industry Development Grant to enhance RMIT’s capabilities in the design and fabrication of Microwave Hybrid Circuits.
- AWA Defence Industries, 1993–1995: ESM Hybrids project. Development of microwave receivers for Electronic Surveillance Measures applications for the RAAF.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- Victorian Section Committee member since 1996
- Inaugural Chair of the Joint MTT/S-AP/S Victorian Chapter 1998
- Student Activities Chair 1999-present.
- 1991 - 1992, Secretary, Greensborough Hockey Club.
- 1989 - 1990, Committee Member, Greensborough Hockey Club.
- 1988, Secretary, Eltham United Hockey Club.
- Ebrahimi, A.,Baum, T.,Scott, J.,Ghorbani, K. (2018). Continuously Tunable Dual-Mode Bandstop Filter In: IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, 28, 419 - 421
- Ebrahimi, A.,Scott, J.,Ghorbani, K. (2018). Differential Sensors Using Microstrip Lines Loaded with Two Split Ring Resonators In: IEEE Sensors Journal, 18, 5786 - 5793
- Ebrahimi, A.,Scott, J.,Ghorbani, K. (2018). Modal analysis of transmission lines periodically loaded with semi-lumped resonators In: Proceedings of the 2018 Australian Microwave Symposium (AMS), Brisbane, Australia, 6-7 Febuary 2018
- Davies, P.,Scott, J. (2016). RF phase sensitive amplifier In: Proceedings of the 2nd Australian Microwave Symposium (AMS 2016), Adelaide, Australia, 11-12 February 2016
- Shariati, N.,Rowe, W.,Scott, J.,Ghorbani, K. (2015). Multi-service highly sensitive rectifier for enhanced RF energy scavenging In: Scientific Reports, 5, 1 - 9
- Islam, N.,Sithamparanathan, K.,Scott, J. (2015). Energy efficiency of cellular base stations with ternary-state transceivers In: 9th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS), 2015, Cairns, Australia, 14-16 December, 2015
- Irani, K.,Scott, J.,Ghorbani, K. (2015). Semi-elliptical dipole antenna for RF energy scavenging In: Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP 2015), Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 9-12 November 2015
- Islam, N.,Sithamparanathan, K.,Scott, J. (2014). Optimal rate adaptation for energy efficiency with MQAM and MFSK In: Proceedings of the 17th International Symposium onWireless Personal Multimedia Communications (WPMC 2014), Sydney, Australia, 7-10 September 2014
- Bojovschi, A.,Scott, J.,Ghorbani, K. (2013). The reflectivity of carbon fiber reinforced polymer short circuit illuminated by guided microwaves In: Applied Physics Letters, 103, 1 - 5
- ABDUL KHALID, M.,Fardin, E.,Scott, J.,Holland, A.,Ghorbani, K. (2013). Low third-order intermodulation distortion in Ba0.6Sr0.4TiO3 thin film interdigital capacitors In: Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, 44, 225 - 238
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
2 PhD Current Supervisions9 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions
Microwave circuits, devices and systems.