Dr Kalpit Shah's current research projects and career interests include the fundamental and applied research in the area of advanced thermochemical conversion systems. He has gained over 15 years of valuable research and industrial consultancy experience. Dr Shah's assets are the sound fundamental chemical engineering knowledge and innovations in the process engineering and energy field together with first-rate hands on experience. Dr Shah also has contributed to process/reactor design, project management, installation and commissioning activities in chemical industries as well as underwrote several patents in Australia and overseas.
Dr Shah has broad experience, knowledge and interests in the advanced energy field, particularly in the following application areas:
- Development of Self-Patented Novel Advanced Chemical Looping Based Process for Emission Reduction, examples include: Mineral Looping Tar Removal, Stone Dust Looping For VAM Mitigation, Chemical Lopping Carbon Reforming for Utilizing CO2 for Methanol Synthesis, Soil Looping Carbon Arrestor for Reduction of Poultry Emissions, Chemical Looping Carbon Arrestor for Bio-char Production and Chemical Looping Energy Storage.
- Fundamental Research On Conventional and Advanced Low Emission Thermo-Chemical Conversion Technologies (e.g. Conventional, Oxy-fuel and Chemical Looping Combustion, Gasification, Reforming and Pyrolysis of Coal, Biomass and Related Wastes);
- CO2 Capture and Utilization (mainly focusing on conversion of CO2 into value added products)
- Coal and Biomass Solvent Extraction Using Novel Green Solvents (mainly focusing on ionic liquids)
- Energy Efficiency in Process Industries (e.g. Energy Optimization)
- Smart Carbon Materials Synthesis and Characterization
- Waste to Energy and Value Added Products
Honors / Awards / Scholarships
- 2015 Excellence in Innovation Award, Newcastle Innovation, Australia.
- 2015 Faculty Award for Excellence in Research, The University of Newcastle, Australia.
- 2014 Student Feedback Award for CHEE3731, The University of Newcastle, Australia.
- 2013 Student Feedback Award for CHEE3731, The University of Newcastle, Australia.
- 2013 Best Poster Award, 2nd International Chemical Looping Conference, Chalmers University, Sweden.
- 2008 Guest Researcher Award, Energy Research Centre of the Netherlands, Netherlands.
- 2007 Curtin International Post graduate Research Scholarship (CIPRS), Curtin University of Technology, Australia.
- 2006 Performance Appreciation Certificate, Rubamin Ltd., India.
- 2005 Youngest Talent Award, Gujarat State Electrical Corporation Ltd., India.
- 2005 Performance Appreciation Certificate, Academy for Conservation of Energy, India.
Dr Shah has attracted the following grants in the last five years from ARC, Industry and State/Federal Governments. The majority of the grants except DECRA were obtained during his tenure at the University of Newcastle between 2011 and 2016.
- Chemical Looping Plastic Reforming, ARC DECRA, DE170100952 (2017-20: $375k)
Role: Lead Chief Investigator
- A Novel Tar Removal Process, ARC Linkage, CI, LP160101155 (2017-20: $310k)
Role: Chief Investigator
- Chemical Looping Redox Energy Storage System, Infratech Industries, G1600828 (2016-21: $643k)
Role: Chief Investigator until June 2016
- Chemical Looping Tar Removal, V-Tara Energy, G1501118 (2015-17: $1.1M)
Role: Lead Chief Investigator until June 2016
- Chemical Looping VAM Abatement, ACALET, G1400521 (2014-17: $2.7M)
Role: Chief Investigator and Project Manager until June 2016
- Stone Dust Looping for VAM abatement, ACARP Funding, G1400713 (2013-16: $760 k)
Role: Lead Chief Investigator until June 2016
- Chemical Looping Carbon Reforming, ARC Discovery Project, CI, DP140104599 (2014-2016:$270k)
Role: Chief Investigator
- Development of VAM Technology Assessment Tool, ACARP Funding, CI, G1300818 (2014: $55k)
Role: Chief Investigator
Dr Shah has been involved in three patents during his industrial tenure. Since joining academia, he holds five patents.
- Shah, K. Moghtaderi, B., Doroodchi, E. 2016, Patent number: US20160158697.
- Moghtaderi, B., Wall, T., Shah, K. 2016, Patent number: US9346013.
- Shah, K. Moghtaderi, B., Doroodchi, E. 2015, Patent number: WO2015003219.
- Moghtaderi, B., Wall, T., Shah, K. 2014, Patent number: US20140219895.
- Moghtaderi, B., Wall, T., Shah, K. 2013, Patent number: WO2013040645.
- PROC2091 Process Systems Integration
- PROC 2114 Research Project
- Process Principles (PROC2078)
- 2011 Ph.D, Chemical Engineering, Curtin University of Technology, WA, Australia.
- 2005 Energy Auditor,National Productivity Council, India.
- 2001 B. E Chemical Engineering, South Gujarat University, India
- 07/2014 – 09/2016, Senior Lecturer, Chemical Engineering Department, University of Newcastle, Australia.
- 07/2013 – 07/2014, Senior Research Academic, Chemical Engineering Department, University of Newcastle, Australia.
- 07/2011 – 07/2013, Research Associate, Chemical Engineering Department, University of Newcastle, Australia.
- 08/2007-07/2011, Research Associate, Chemical Engineering Department, Curtin University, Australia.
- 09/2008-07/2010, Biomass Coal and Environmental Research Group, Energy Research Centre of the Netherlands, the Netherlands.
- 05/2007- 08/2007 Energy Manager, Indian Petrochemical Corporation Ltd., India
- 07/2006-05/2007, Senior Executive Projects, Rubamin Ltd., India.
- 01/2006 – 07/2006, Process Engineer, Nirma Ltd., India.
- 12/2003 – 12/2005, Process Engineer and Team Leader, Academy for Conservation of Energy, India.
- 11/2001 – 05/2003, Engineer Trainee, Deepak Nitrite Ltd., India.
- Advanced Process Modelling and Simulation
- Revamping of Several Unit Operations
- Reactor Design and Scale-up
- Detailed Techno-economic Assessment
Dr Shah's research is supported by a wide range of innovative and cutting edge experimental –self-designed lab scale and pilot scale setups (i.e. TGA, Fixed Bed, Fluidized Bed rigs) and modeling (e.g. ASPEN Plus V 8.4, ANSYS Fluent 14.0, CHEMKIN, Fact-sage 6.1, COSILAB, HSC Chemistry) techniques. Dr Shah has research experience with lab-, pilot- and full-scale plants and been quite instrumental with variety of experimental and modeling approaches.
Professional appointments / service
- Guest Lecturer, International Energy Centre, The University of Queensland, 2012-14.
- Associate Editor, Advanced Fossil Fuel Technologies, 2016- present.
- Organising Committee member, Australian Combustion Symposium, 2015.
- Reviewer for 22 international high impact journals, 2011-present.
- Grant Assessor, Australia-India Strategic Research Fund, 2015.
- Grant Assessor, Australian Research Council, 2013- present.
- Halder, P.,Kundu, S.,Patel, S.,Hedayati Marzbali, M.,Parthasarathy, R.,Shah, K. (2021). Furfural and levoglucosenone production from the pyrolysis of ionic liquid pre-treated sugarcane straw In: Cellulose, 28, 133 - 151
- Halder, P.,Patel, S.,Kundu, S.,Hakeem, I.,Hedayati Marzbali, M.,Pramanik, B.,Shah, K. (2021). Dissolution reaction kinetics and mass transfer during aqueous choline chloride pre-treatment of oak wood In: Bioresource Technology, 322, -
- Roychand, R.,Patel, S.,Halder, P.,Kundu, S.,Hampton, J.,Bergmann, D.,Surapaneni, A.,Shah, K.,Pramanik, B. (2021). Recycling biosolids as cement composites in raw, pyrolyzed and ashed forms: A waste utilisation approach to support circular economy In: Journal of Building Engineering, 38, 1 - 13
- Hedayati Marzbali, M.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Kundu, S.,Ramezani, D.,Halder, P.,Patel, S.,White, T.,Madapusi, S.,Shah, K. (2021). Investigations into distribution and characterisation of products formed during hydrothermal carbonisation of paunch waste In: Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 9, 1 - 11
- Chagas, J.,de Figueiredo, C.,da Silva, J.,Shah, K.,Paz-Ferreiro, J. (2021). Long-term effects of sewage sludge–derived biochar on the accumulation and availability of trace elements in a tropical soil In: Journal of Environmental Quality, 50, 264 - 277
- Hedayati Marzbali, M.,Kundu, S.,Halder, P.,Patel, S.,Hakeem, I.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Madapusi, S.,Surapaneni, A.,Shah, K. (2021). Wet organic waste treatment via hydrothermal processing: A critical review In: Chemosphere, 279, 1 - 25
- Dike, C.,Shahsavari, E.,Surapaneni, A.,Shah, K.,Ball, A. (2021). Can biochar be an effective and reliable biostimulating agent for the remediation of hydrocarbon-contaminated soils? In: Environment International, 154, 1 - 16
- Hakeem, I.,Halder, P.,Hedayati Marzbali, M.,Patel, S.,Kundu, S.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Surapaneni, A.,Shah, K. (2021). Research progress on levoglucosan production via pyrolysis of lignocellulosic biomass and its effective recovery from bio-oil In: Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 9, 1 - 25
- Bhatt, M.,Chakinala, A.,Joshi, J.,Sharma, A.,Pant, K.,Shah, K.,Sharma, A. (2021). Valorization of solid waste using advanced thermo-chemical process: A review In: Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 9, 1 - 14
- Monira, S.,Bhuiyan, M.,Haque, N.,Shah, K.,Roychand, R.,Hai, F.,Pramanik, B. (2021). Understanding the fate and control of road dust-associated microplastics in stormwater In: Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 152, 47 - 57
15 PhD Current Supervisions2 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions
- ARC Research Hub for Transformation of Reclaimed Waste Resources to Engineered Materials and Solutions for a Circular Economy (TREMS). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub 2018 onwards from (2021 to 2026)
- Circular Economy Accelerator for Transformative Bio-Organics (VHESIF Pool 2) (administered by Deakin University). Funded by: Victorian Higher Education State Investment Fund (VHESIF) - Pool 2 from (2021 to )
- ARC Training Centre for Transformation of Australia's Biosolids Resource. Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centre 2018 onwards from (2020 to 2025)
- Remediation of PFAS in current and legacy biosolids application sites (Administered by University of Newcastle). Funded by: ARC Special Grant from (2018 to 2021)
- A Novel Mineral Looping Tar Removal Process For Biomass Gasification (Administrated by University of Newcastle). Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grant 2016 from (2018 to 2019)