- Settlement of marine invertebrate larvae, particularly fouling species.
- Microbial ecology of aquatic biofilms.
- Ecology of aquatic protozoans.
- Impacts of ocean acidification on marine invertebrates.
- Impacts and control of the invasive saltmarsh grass Spartina anglica in Australia.
- Small-scale physical-biological interactions in marine ecology, particularly ecological effects of water flow.
- Mechanics of suspension feeding by aquatic invertebrates and protozoa.
- RMIT University, Lecturer, School of Applied Sciences, Dec. 2007 - present.
- Australian Maritime College, Lecturer, National Centre for Marine and Coastal Conservation, 2007. Taught marine science and meteorology.
- University of Melbourne, Lecturer, Zoology Dept., 2006-2007. Taught zoology and ecology.
- Australian Marine Ecology Pty. Ltd., Marine Ecologist, 2006. Conducted research as part of the Supplemental Environmental Effects Statement for the Port Phillip Bay Channel Deepening Project.
- University of California, Davis, California, U.S.A., Lecturer, Section of Evolution and Ecology, 2005. Taught zoology and evolution.
- University of California, Berkeley, California, U.S.A., Visiting Associate Professor, Integrative Biology Dept., 2004. Taught biological oceanography.
- Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., Assistant Professor and Associate Professor, Biology Dept., 1997-2005. Taught marine ecology, zoology, and general biology. Led a research program on ecology of marine invertebrates and protozoa.
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, Massachusetts, U.S.A., Postdoctoral Scholar and Guest Investigator, Biology Dept. and Applied Ocean Physics and Engineering Dept., 1995-2000, 2004. Conducted research on marine protozoan ecology and mapping of epibenthic invertebrate assemblages.
- University of California, Berkeley, California, U.S.A., Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Miller Institute for Basic Research in Science and Integrative Biology Dept., 1993-1995. Conducted research on marine invertebrates.
- 2012 Outstanding Good Teaching Scale (BIOL2061), College of Science, Engineering and Health.
- 2011 Outstanding Good Teaching Scale (BIOL2151, BIOL2255), College of Science, Engineering and Health.
- 2011 RMIT University Teaching Award for widening participation in programs (Open Universities Australia online courses).
- 2010 Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning, Australian Learning and Teaching Council.
- 2010 Top 50 Course (BIOL2255), College of Science, Engineering andHealth.
- 2009 Students' Choice Teaching Award, College of Science, Engineering and Health.
- 2009 RMIT University Teaching Award in Biological Sciences, Health and Related Studies.
- 2009 Top 50 Course (BIOL2255), College of Science, Engineering and Health.
- 2008 Teaching and Learning Award, School of Applied Sciences.
- Testing the waters (YouTube video)
Course coordinator for:
- BIOL2061: Field Practicum at Lizard Island Research Station, Great Barrier Reef
- BIOL2151 Animal Diversity
- BIOL2255 Marine Biology
- ENVI1009 The Ecosphere
- ENVI1145 Environmental Sampling and Analysis
- ONPS2334 Scientific Skills and Communication
- ONPS2335 The Professional Scientist
- ONPS2186 Science Project
Program leader for:
- BP229BISC Bachelor of Science (Biological Sciences)
- Ph.D. in Oceanography, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, U.S.A., 1993
- B.A. in Biology with Distinction, Carleton College, Northfield, Minnesota, U.S.A., 1986
- Editorial Board Member, Iranian Journal of Fisheries Sciences, 2009-2011.
- Member of the Australian Marine Sciences Association (Victorian chapter Council Member), American Society of Limnology and Oceanography, International Society of Protistologists, and The Oceanography Society.
- Reviewer for the scientific journals American Naturalist; Aquatic Ecology; Aquatic Microbial Ecology; Biological Bulletin; Continental Shelf Research; Ecotoxicology; Estuaries; Freshwater Biology; Invertebrate Biology; Journal of Experimental Biology; Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology; Journal of Marine Systems; Journal of Sea Research; Journal of Theoretical Biology; Limnology and Oceanography; Limnology and Oceanography Methods; Marine Biology; Marine Ecology Progress Series; Oecologia; Proceedings of the Royal Society; Science.
- Trestrail, C.,Walpitagama, M.,Hedges, C.,Truskewycz, A.,Miranda, A.,Wlodkowic, D.,Shimeta, J.,Nugegoda, D. (2020). Foaming at the mouth: Ingestion of floral foam microplastics by aquatic animals In: Science of the Total Environment, 705, 1 - 13
- Lewis, P.,McGrath, T.,Emmerson, L.,Allinson, G.,Shimeta, J. (2020). Ad�lie penguin colonies as indicators of brominated flame retardants (BFRs) in East Antarctica In: Chemosphere, 250, 1 - 13
- Trestrail, C.,Nugegoda, D.,Shimeta, J. (2020). Invertebrate responses to microplastic ingestion: Reviewing the role of the antioxidant system In: Science of the Total Environment, 734, 1 - 18
- McSweeney, F.,Shimeta, J.,Buckeridge, J. (2020). Two new genera of early Tracheophyta (Zosterophyllaceae) from the upper Silurian�Lower Devonian of Victoria, Australia In: Alcheringa, , 1 - 18
- McLaughlin, P.,Stasinopoulos, P.,Shimeta, J.,Ryan, R.,Currell, M.,Allinson, G.,Brown, N.,Maqsood, T. (2020). From Small Things: Building Cross-Disciplinary, Transformative Learning Experiences Through a Global Mobility Experience for Higher Education Students In: Tertiary Education in a Time of Change, Springer , Singapore
- Lewis, P.,McGrath, T.,Chiaradia, A.,McMahon, C.,Emmerson, L.,Allinson, G.,Shimeta, J. (2020). A baseline for POPs contamination in Australian seabirds: little penguins vs. short-tailed shearwaters In: Marine Pollution Bulletin, 159, 1 - 10
- Trestrail, C.,Shimeta, J.,Nugegoda, D. (2020). Sub-lethal responses to microplastic ingestion in invertebrates: toward a mechanistic understanding using energy flux In: Particulate Plastics in Terrestrial and Aquatic Environments, Taylor & Francis, United States
- Coggan, T.,Moodie, D.,KOLOBARIC, A.,Szabo, D.,Shimeta, J.,Crosbie, N.,Lee, E.,Fernandes, M.,Clarke, B. (2019). An investigation into per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in nineteen Australian wastewater treatment plants (WWTPs) In: Heliyon, 5, 1 - 11
- Carve Luzardo, M.,Scardino, A.,Shimeta, J. (2019). Effects of surface texture and interrelated properties on marine biofouling: a systematic review In: Biofouling, 35, 597 - 617
- Casey, B.,Shimeta, J.,Hughes, J. (2019). Daily and seasonal calling activity of the growling grass frog litoria raniformis in northern suburban Melbourne In: Victorian Naturalist, 136, 64 - 69
- Bioacoustic monitoring of frogs. Funded by: Holsworth Wildlife Research Endowment - Grant from (2019 to 2020)
- Bioacoustic Monitoring of Frogs. Funded by: Parks Victoria Research Partners Grant 2017 onwards from (2018 to 2019)
- Predictive capability for particle capture in aquatic ecosystems - Administered by the University of Western Australia. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects via other University Grant 2015 from (2015 to 2017)
- Experiment-Based Evaluation of Management Practices for Control of the Invasive Saltmarsh Grass, Spartina anglica.. Funded by: Parks Victoria Competitive Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2015)
- Experiment based evaluation of management practices for the control of Spartina. Funded by: West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority Contract from (2014 to 2015)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
6 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions8 PhD Current Supervisions
Coastal and marine ecology, particularly relating to invertebrates and protozoa; Biomechanics of organism-flow interactions; Microbial food-web dynamics and nutrient cycling; microbial activities in impacted marine sediments; Settlement of marine invertebrate larvae