Dr Nirajan Shiwakoti is a transportation engineer with over 12 years of academic and professional experience.
Dr Shiwakoti is a Program Leader of Urban Transportation Systems research theme and a key founding member of Intelligent Transportation Systems Research Group. Prospective postgraduate student who wish to pursue his/her PhD or Masters research can contact Dr Shiwakoti for scholarship options.
Dr Shiwakoti has published over 70 journal articles, conference papers and book chapters. Detailed list of his publications can be found at his Google Scholar webpage. He has attracted several research grants for his research including highly competitive Australian Research Council (ARC) grant. His research team on Urban Transportation Systems work on two key research activities.
1. Urban mobility and resilience
- Logistics and Supply Chain Resilience
- Passengers Crowd Dynamics and Evacuation Modelling at Major Transport Hubs.
- Urban Congestion Pricing
- Traffic Safety
- Effects of extreme weather events at seaport and roads.
- Integrated multi-modal transport systems
- System Dynamics approach to the life cycle assessment of transport systems
2. Smart technology solutions
- Traffic data collection via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Infrared sensors
- Human factors and connected vehicles
- Program Manager, Sustainable Systems Engineering (BH076) and its associated double degree on Business Management (BH092) and Industrial Design (BH100)
- Course Coordinator for Intelligent Transport Systems and Sustainable Transport Systems courses at postgraduate and undergraduate level.
- AUTO 1929 / MIET2493 Intelligent Transport Systems
- AUTO 1928 / MIET2494 Sustainable Transport Systems
- OENG 1118 Sustainable Engineering Practice and Design
- Urban Transportation Systems research team
- Masters and Doctoral research candidate supervision
- Doctor of Philosophy (Transport Engineering), Institute of Transport Studies (ITS), Monash University
- Master of Engineering (Urban and Environmental Engineering), Hokkaido University
- Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering (Hons.) Tribuvan University
- 2014-current, Senior Lecturer, RMIT University
- 2011-2014, Lecturer, Institute of Transport Studies, Monash University
- 2007-2010, Senior Tutor and Casual Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, Monash University
- 2003-2004, Civil Engineer, Development Network (P.) Ltd.
- Public Transport Victoria
- Department of Transport
- Local Council
Professional interests and links to industry
- Contributing editor, Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering, Elsevier
- Committee member, US Transportation Research Board Committee on Transit Capacity and Quality of Service (AP015), Washington, D.C., USA
- International Scientific Committee member, 11th Eastern Asia Society for Transport Studies (EASTS) conference, Cebu, 2015
- Program Sub-committee member, 23rd Intelligent Transport Systems World Congress (ITSWC), Melbourne, 2016
- Assessor, Australian Research Council (ARC) competitive grants
- Reviewer of several transportation journals including Transportation Research Record, Physica A, Transportation Research Part C, Transportmetrica B, IET Intelligent Transport Systems, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Journal of Advanced Transportation
- Member, Engineers Australia (M.I.E.Aust.)
- 15th Fresh Science Award as well as "best presentation to public" from Fresh Science Community, 2012
- Travel fellowship for presenting a paper at 19th International Symposium of Transport and Traffic Theory, hosted by University of California, Berkeley, USA, 2011.
- Australian Road Research Board (ARRB)-Transport Research Prize for my PhD dissertation as a best research in transportation (2010). Also awarded with the special commendation certificate from Australian Road Research Board (ARRB) for the innovativeness of my research work (2009)
- Publication Award, Faculty of Engineering, Monash University (February – April, 2011)
- Monash Graduate Scholarship (MGS) and Monash International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (MIPRS) for PhD research, 2007-2010
- Travel fellowship from International Association of Traffic and Safety Sciences (IATSS), Japan for presenting a paper at 12th ISSOT symposium, 2007.
- Japanese Government Scholarship (Monbukagakusho) for Master Research (2004-2006)
- University full scholarship for Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering (1998-2002)
- Research contributions featured in:
- National Geographic Chanel, USA, 2014
- Nautilus science magazine, USA, 2014
- NewScientist Science Magazine, UK, 2013
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) Television, Australia, 2008
- Discovery Chanel Canada, 2008
- Shiwakoti, N.,Wang, H.,Jiang, H.,Wang, L. (2020). A �role-rule� model to examine passengers� likely behaviour and their perceived ability to evacuate safely from airport in an emergency evacuation In: Safety Science, 124, 1 - 8
- Aghabayk, K.,Radmehr, K.,Shiwakoti, N. (2020). Effect of Intersecting Angle on Pedestrian Crowd Flow under Normal and Evacuation Conditions In: Sustainability, 12, 1 - 17
- Vajar, M.,Aghabayk, K.,Sadeghian, M.,Shiwakoti, N. (2020). A multinomial logit model of motorcycle crash severity at Australian intersections In: Journal of Safety Research, , 17 - 24
- Zahraee, S.,Shiwakoti, N.,Stasinopoulos, P. (2020). A Review on Water-Energy-Greenhouse Gas Nexus of the Bioenergy Supply and Production System In: Current Sustainable/Renewable Energy Reports, 7, 28 - 39
- Zahraee, S.,Zahraee, S.,Shiwakoti, N.,Stasinopoulos, P.,Kraslawski, A. (2020). Water-energy nexus and greenhouse gas�sulfur oxides embodied emissions of biomass supply and production system: A large scale analysis using combined life cycle and dynamic simulation approach In: Energy Conversion and Management, 220, 1 - 15
- Shiwakoti, N.,Stasinopoulos, P.,Vincec, P.,Qian, W.,Hafsar, R. (2019). Exploring how perceptive differences impact the current public transport usage and support for future public transport extension and usage: A case study of Melbourne's tramline extension In: Transport Policy, 84, 12 - 23
- Haulder, N.,Kumar, A.,Shiwakoti, N. (2019). An analysis of core functions offered by software packages aimed at the supply chain management software market In: Computers & Industrial Engineering, 138, 1 - 15
- Stasinopoulos, P.,Moran, J.,Shiwakoti, N.,Norman, P.,Stirling, D. (2019). Urban High-Speed Rail Helps Australia�s Megacity Sustainability In: World Engineers Convention (WEC) 2019, Melbourne, Australia, 20-22 November 2019
- Yang, J.,Shiwakoti, N.,Tay, R. (2019). Train dwell time models � development in the past forty years In: Proceedings of the 41st Australasian Transport Research Forum, Canberra, Australia, 30 September - 2 October 2019
- Alhindawi, R.,Abu Nahleh, Y.,Kumar, A.,Shiwakoti, N. (2019). Application of a adaptive neuro-fuzzy technique for projection of the greenhouse gas emissions from road transportation In: Sustainability, 11, 1 - 17
2 PhD Completions9 PhD Current Supervisions
- Development of a Simulation Tool for Adoption and Deployment of Autonomous Vehicles. Funded by: Automotive Engineering Graduate Program from (2019 to 2021)
- Development of a Novel Tool for Recoverability during Maritime Evacuation. Funded by: Defence Science Institute Grant 2017 from (2017 to 2017)
- Decision Support Tool to Reduce Platform Hazards and Incidents. Funded by: Defence Science Institute Grant 2017 from (2017 to 2017)
- CASS Foundation Travel Grant - The Transportation Research Board (TRB) 96th Annual Meeting. Funded by: The CASS Foundation Travel R2 Grant 2016 from (2017 to 2017)
- Reducing jaywalking and distracted walking behaviour at intersections C383. Funded by: TAC Community Road Safety Grants 2017 from (2016 to 2018)