Dr Dhirendra Singh is a CSIRO funded Senior Research Fellow based in the School of Science
Dr Dhirendra Singh is a CSIRO funded Senior Research Fellow based in the School of Science. He is an expert in agent-based modelling and simulation, cognitive modelling, and agent-oriented programming. Prior to his research career, he worked for several years in industry as Senior Software Engineer. Dhirendra holds double undergraduate degrees in Computer Systems Engineering and Computer Science and a PhD in Computer Science in Artificial Intelligence.
Over the years, Dhirendra's applied research has been recognised by industry. His work on the HOME:Life housing assessment tool won the Planning Institute of Australia's Australian Urban Design Award for Large Scale Policies, Programs and Concepts in 2015. His ongoing work on bushfire evacuation modelling for communities was shortlisted for the 2015 Fire Awareness Awards for Innovation, and won three merit awards at iAwards in 2019.
Dhirendra hopes to inspire his students to strive for a sustainable future supported by intelligent software systems. He is a strong proponent for Open Source Software.
Dhirendra works primarily on applied research projects for Data61 CSIRO and the Urban Futures Enabling Capability Platform at RMIT University. He also teaches agent-based modelling to undergraduate and postgraduate students in the School of Science.
- PhD in Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence), RMIT University, 2011
- Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Systems Engineering), RMIT University, 2001
- Bachelor of Science (Computer Science), RMIT University, 2001
- Senior Research Fellow, RMIT University, 2018-
- Research Fellow, RMIT University, 2012-2017
- Postdoctoral Researcher, TU Delft, Netherlands, 2010-2011
- PhD Candidate, RMIT University, 2007-2010
- Senior Software Engineer, Australian Semiconductor and Technology Company, 2006
- Senior Modelling and Simulation Engineer, Freescale Semiconductor, 2004-2006
- Software Engineer, Motorola, 2001-2004
- Researcher, Fondazione Bruno Kessler, Italy, 2000
- Jafari, A.,Both, A.,Singh, D.,Gunn, L.,Giles-Corti, B. (2022). Building the road network for city-scale active transport simulation models In: Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 114, 1 - 16
- Wickramasinghe, B.,Singh, D.,Padgham, L. (2017). Heuristic Data Merging for Constructing Initial Agent Populations In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2017), Sao Paulo, Brazil, 8 - 12 May 2017
- Singh, D.,Padgham, L.,Logan, B. (2016). Integrating BDI agents with agent-based simulation platforms In: Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems, 30, 1050 - 1071
- Padgham, L.,Singh, D. (2016). Making MATSim Agents Smarter with the Belief-Desire-Intention Framework In: The Multi-Agent Transport Simulation MATSim, Ubiquity Press, London
- Wickramasinghe, B.,Singh, D.,Padgham, L. (2015). Synchronising agent populations when combining agent-based simulations In: ADS '15 Proceedings of the Symposium on Agent-Directed Simulation, Alexandria, VA, USA, April 12 - 15, 2015
- Padgham, L.,Horne, R.,Singh, D.,Moore, T. (2014). Planning for sandbagging as a response to flooding: a tool and case study In: Australian Journal of Emergency Management, 29, 26 - 31
- Singh, D.,Padgham, L. (2014). OpenSim: A framework for integrating agent-based models and simulation components In: Proceedings of the 21st European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Prague, Czech Republic, 18-22 August 2014
- Padgham, L.,NageL, K.,Singh, D.,Qingyu, C. (2014). Integrating BDI Agents into a MATSim Simulation In: Proceedings of the 21st European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Prague, Czech Republic, 18-22 August 2014
- Padgham, L.,Singh, D. (2013). Situational preferences for BDI plans In: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2013), St. Paul, MN, USA, 6-10 May 2013
- Singh, D.,Hindriks, K. (2012). Learning to improve agent behaviours in GOAL In: Proceedings of the 10th International Workshop on Programming MultiAgent Systems (ProMAS 2012), Valencia, Spain, 5 June 2012
1 PhD Completions3 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions
- Joining Impact models of transport with spatial measures of the Built Environment (JIBE). Funded by: UKRI-NHMRC Research Scheme 2019 from (2020 to 2024)
- Bushfire evacuation planning for Mt Alexander Shire. Funded by: Telematics Trust Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2017)