Peter Sivey is an Associate Professor at the School of Economics, Finance and Marketing at RMIT University.
Dr Sivey was a Research Fellow and then Senior Research Fellow at the Melbourne Institute from 2008 until the end of June 2013 and a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Economics and Finance at La Trobe University from 2013 to 2016.
Dr Sivey’s interests centre on the economics of healthcare markets. He is working on research projects including hospital waiting times, hospital competition, doctor pricing and market entry. His wider research interests include multinomial choice models, microeconometrics, and microeconomic theory (especially Industrial Organisation) applied to healthcare markets. Dr Sivey has a PhD in Economics (2009) from the University of York, UK, where he is an external affiliate of the Health Econometrics and Data Group and he is also an honorary Senior Fellow at the Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, University of Melbourne
Peter is a Chief Investigator on a current ARC Discovery Project (2015-2018) “Competition in Medical Labour Markets” with collaborators from the University of Melbourne and University of York. He has published articles in the best journals in his field including the Journal of Health Economics, Health Economics and the Journal of Industrial Economics.
Peter writes regularly for the academic opinion website The Conversation on health care policy.
Links to further information:
- BSc Economics/Econometrics – University of York, 2003
- MSc Health Economics – University of York, 2005
- PhD – University of York, 2009
- Gravelle, H.,Scott, A.,Sivey, P.,Yong, J. (2016). Competition, prices and quality in the market for physician consultations In: Journal of Industrial Economics, 64, 135 - 169
- Holte, J.,Sivey, P.,Abelsen, B.,Olsen, J. (2016). Modelling nonlinearities and reference dependence in general practitioners' income preferences In: Health Economics, 25, 1020 - 1038
- Chen, Y.,Meinecke, J.,Sivey, P. (2016). A theory of waiting time reporting and quality signalling In: Health Economics, 25, 1355 - 1371
- Song, K.,Scott, A.,Sivey, P.,Meng, Q. (2015). Improving Chinese primary care providers' recruitment and retention: a discrete choice experiment In: Health Policy and Planning: a journal on health in development, 30, 68 - 77
- Siciliani, L.,Sivey, P.,Street, A. (2013). Differences in length of stay for hip replacement between public hospitals, specialised treatment centres and private providers: Selection or efficiency? In: Health Economics, 22, 234 - 242
- Sivey, P. (2012). The effect of waiting time and distance on hospital choice for English cataract patients In: Health Economics, 21, 444 - 456
- Sivey, P.,Scott, A.,Witt, J.,Joyce, C.,Humphreys, J. (2012). Junior doctors' preferences for specialty choice In: Journal of Health Economics, 31, 813 - 823
- Scott, A.,Sivey, P.,Ait Ouakrim, D.,Willenberg, L.,Naccarella, L.,Furler, J.,Young, D. (2011). The effect of financial incentives on the quality of health care provided by primary care physicians In: Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 9, 1 - 59
- Competition in medical labour markets. Administered by The University of Melbourne.. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects via other University Grant 2015 from (2016 to 2018)
1 PhD Current Supervisions