Dr Sou is a Vice Chancellor's Postdoctoral Research Fellow. She explores the media representations and everyday lived experiences of people affected by disasters – predominantly in Latin America using a range of social science research methods. Her work draw on development geography, social anthropology, postcolonial studies and media sociology. Dr Sou regularly collaborates with artists to translate research in engaging, thoughtful and socially responsible ways.
Dr Sou is an editor of the Journal of Humanitarian Affairs, and is a Fellow of the Humanitarian Innovation Initiative at Brown University, U.S.A.
To find out more, please visit www.gemmasou.com.
- BA Human Geography, The University of Sheffield, UK
- MA Urban Planning in the Global South, The University of Manchester, UK
- PhD Development Studies, The University of Manchester, UK
- Sou, G. (2021). Voices from the margins In: Migration Manchester, U.K.
- Sou, G.,Shaw, D.,Aponte-Gonzalez, F. (2021). A multidimensional framework for disaster recovery: Longitudinal qualitative evidence from Puerto Rican households In: World Development, 144, 1 - 12
- Sou, G. (2021). Concealing researcher identity during fieldwork: Sexuality and silencing research participants In: Area, , 1 - 8
- Sou, G.,Webber, R. (2021). Un/making the ‘sensory home’: tastes, smells and sounds during disasters In: Social and Cultural Geography, , 1 - 18
- Sou, G. (2021). Aid micropolitics: everyday southern resistance to racialized and geographical assumptions of expertise In: Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space, , 1 - 19
- Sou, G. (2021). (In Press) Reframing resilience as resistance: contextualising disaster recovery within colonialism In: The Geographical Journal, , 1 - 18
- Sou, G. (2021). Reframing resilience as resistance: Situating disaster recovery within colonialism In: Geographical Journal, 00, 1 - 14
- Sou, G. (2019). Sustainable resilience? Disaster recovery and the marginalization of sociocultural needs and concerns In: Progress in Development Studies, 19, 144 - 159
- Sou, G. (2019). Household self-blame for disasters: responsibilisation and (un)accountability in decentralised participatory risk governance In: Disasters, 43, 289 - 310
- Sou, G.,Cei Douglas, J. (2019). After Maria: Everyday recovery from disaster In: After Maria: Everyday recovery from disaster Manchester, UK