Dr Sou is a Vice Chancellor's Postdoctoral Research Fellow. She draws on postcolonial discourse to explore human-environment relations. She has a particular interest in development in climate change-affected contexts, lived experiences of climate change, development aid partnerships, media representations of development and creative research translation.
Dr Sou is an editor of the Journal of Humanitarian Affairs.
To find out more, please visit www.gemmasou.com.
- MA Urban Planning in the Global South, The University of Manchester, UK
- PhD Development Studies, The University of Manchester, UK
- Sou, G. (2022). Communicating crisis research with comics: Representation, process and pedagogy. In: Qualitative and Digital Research in Times of Crisis: Methods, Reflexibility, and Ethics, Policy Press (Bristol University Press), United Kingdom
- Hall, S.,Sou, G.,Pottinger, L. (2021). Ethical considerations in creative research: Design, delivery & dissemination In: Creative Methods for Human Geographers, Sage Publications Limited, United Kingdom
- Sou, G. (2021). Voices from the margins In: Migration Manchester, U.K.
- Sou, G.,Shaw, D.,Aponte-Gonzalez, F. (2021). A multidimensional framework for disaster recovery: Longitudinal qualitative evidence from Puerto Rican households In: World Development, 144, 1 - 12
- Sou, G. (2021). Concealing researcher identity during fieldwork: Sexuality and silencing research participants In: Area, , 1 - 8
- Sou, G.,Webber, R. (2021). Un/making the ‘sensory home’: tastes, smells and sounds during disasters In: Social and Cultural Geography, , 1 - 18
- Sou, G. (2021). Aid micropolitics: everyday southern resistance to racialized and geographical assumptions of expertise In: Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space, , 1 - 19
- Sou, G. (2021). Reframing resilience as resistance: Situating disaster recovery within colonialism In: Geographical Journal, 188, 14 - 27
- Sou, G. (2019). Household self-blame for disasters: responsibilisation and (un)accountability in decentralised participatory risk governance In: Disasters, 43, 289 - 310
- Sou, G.,Cei Douglas, J. (2019). After Maria: Everyday recovery from disaster In: After Maria: Everyday recovery from disaster Manchester, UK