- Public Finance
- International Finance
- Economics of Sports
Research Projects and Funding
- Stewart, M. F., Brooks, R. W., Couchman, S, Jackson, & M, Manton, N “THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF RMIT: The Contribution of RMIT University to the Australian Economy“. This work was commissioned by the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Resources) at RMIT in 1997.
- Stewart, M. F. "AN EVALUATION OF THE COMMONWEALTH GOVERNMENT LEGAL AID FUNDING MODEL". Commissioned by Victoria Legal Aid in 2000.
- Stewart, M. F., Brooks, R. W., & Gangemi, M. “THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF AUSTRALIAN INTERNATIONAL HOTEL SCHOOL (Canberra). The Australian International Hotel School commissioned this work in 2002.
- Stewart, M. F., Brooks, R. W., Diggle, J. D., Gangemi, M. Kam, B. & Morley, C. “BENEFITS OF ROAD INVESTMENT TO ASSIST TOURISM“. Austroads commissioned this work in 2002.
- Stewart, M. F., Brooks, R. W., & Gangemi, M. “VALUING THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF THE RMIT HAMILTON CENTRE ON THE SOUTHERN GRAMPIANS COMMUNITY“. The Southern Grampians Shire Council and the Regional Development Bodies Program in partnership with RMIT Business and the Southern Grampians Shire commissioned this project in 2003.
- Stewart, M. F., Gangemi, M., Martin, J., Marton, R., & Phillips, S. SOCIO-ECONOMIC IMPACT ASSESSMENT OF BUSHFIRES ON RURAL COMMUNITIES AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN GIPPSLAND AND NORTH EAST VICTORIA. This was commissioned by Timber Towns Victoria and was completed in June 2003.
- Stewart, M. F., Stavros, C., Mitchell, H. “AFL RECRUITMENT PROJECT: AN OBJECTIVE EVALUATION OF AFL CLUBS RECRUITMENT“. This was commissioned by Champion Data and is due to be completed in 2008.
- Quantitative Methods
- Bachelor of Economics (Honours) Monash University 1986
- Master of Commerce (Economics major) University of Melbourne 1991
- Doctor of Philosophy (Economics) University of Melbourne 1999. Thesis topic ’The Economic Effects of Australia’s System of Fiscal Federalism’ Supervisor, Professor Ross Williams
- Russell, R.,Stewart, M.,Kutin, J. (2016). Portfolio of commissioned reports: ANZ MoneyMinded (2012-2016) In: Reports commissioned by ANZ Bank Melbourne
- Stewart, M.,Stavros, C.,Phillips, P.,Mitchell, H.,Barake, A. (2016). Like father, like son: Analyzing australian football's unique recruitment process In: Journal of Sport Management, 30, 672 - 688
- Mitchell, H.,Stewart, M. (2015). What should you pay to host a party? An economic analysis of hosting sports mega-events In: Applied Economics, 47, 1550 - 1561
- Russell, R.,Stewart, M.,Cull, F. (2015). Saver Plus: A Decade of Impact In: ANZ Melbourne, Australia
- Sadat, T.,Russell, R.,Stewart, M. (2014). Shifting paths of pharmaceutical innovation: Implications for the global pharmaceutical industry In: International Journal of Knowledge, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, 2, 6 - 31
- Sadat, T.,Russell, R.,Stewart, M. (2013). The forces transforming pharmaceutical innovation models In: Short Research Papers on Knowledge, Innovation and Enterprise, KIE, Riga, Latvia
- Mitchell, H.,Stewart, M. (2012). Movies and holidays: The empirical relationship between movies and tourism In: Applied Economics Letters, 19, 1437 - 1440
- Mitchell, H.,Spong, H.,Stewart, M. (2012). Gambling with public money: An economic analysis of national sports team funding In: The Economic and Labour Relations Review, 23, 7 - 22
- Stavros, C.,Stewart, M. (2011). Sports marketing in Australia In: Marketing im Sport: Grundlagen, Trends und internationale Perspektiven des modernen Sportmarketing, 2nd Edition, Erich Schmidt Verlag Gmbh & Co, Berlin
- Mitchell, H.,Stavros, C.,Stewart, M. (2011). Does the Australian football league draft undervalue indigenous Australian footballers? In: Journal of Sports Economics, 12, 36 - 54
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
2 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions5 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions
Public sector economics.
- MoneyMinded Impact Report 2019. Funded by: ANZ Banking Group Pty Ltd - Competitive from (2019 to 2020)